The Silver Surfer Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neginfluence04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Melvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Sub
Engine Size
Haven't got much done lately but here's my progress so far
You must be registered for see images

neginfluence04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Melvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Sub
Engine Size

I'm attempting to vinyl wrap the hood, roof, trunk, gas tank lid, and mirrors with a 3m carbon fiber vinyl.

neginfluence04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Melvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Sub
Engine Size

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Haven't got much done lately but here's my progress so far

Nope, Noway, Nawww, there's no black box on that car. None at all !!! :shrug: Yeah Right !!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Whats a black box?

Just terminology. You know data recorders like on airplanes that are actually orange or yellow. Snitch Recorder. A computer will be able to be hooked up to that car and know it's top speed, use of brakes all kinds of ****. Commonly used to void warranties now days and also used in accident investigations. When there are fatal accidents in cars now days, many times tow operators are given specific instructions, don't turn the key off, or on, whatever the case may be and the cars are not taken back to our yard. They are taken to the PD storage. In our case in Moore for example, they go to the City Barn FIRST. When they get done they'll call us to come pick it up and put it on our lot. If the investigators can recover any data off the vehicle they will. Things like speed, throttle position, braking etc. These cars now days have senors everywhere. You have wheel sensors for your ABS, you have vehicle speed sensor, throttle position sensor blah blah blah. If they can retrieve that info they damn sure will. It can prove or disprove fault and/or vehicle malfunction etc. The 2 fatal motorcycle wrecks I worked were Harley's. They also told us the same about the key. Keep it turned off. So in short, Black Box is just a data recorder. GPS and Timestamping can even be recorded. Were you coming from a bar? They are getting very sophisticated. I've heard recently, that GM is making a statement, you don't own a car now. You just pay to license it and use it. Kinda like how Microsoft doesn't support Win XP now, so what good is it?

neginfluence04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Melvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Sub
Engine Size
Just terminology. You know data recorders like on airplanes that are actually orange or yellow. Snitch Recorder. A computer will be able to be hooked up to that car and know it's top speed, use of brakes all kinds of ****. Commonly used to void warranties now days and also used in accident investigations. When there are fatal accidents in cars now days, many times tow operators are given specific instructions, don't turn the key off, or on, whatever the case may be and the cars are not taken back to our yard. They are taken to the PD storage. In our case in Moore for example, they go to the City Barn FIRST. When they get done they'll call us to come pick it up and put it on our lot. If the investigators can recover any data off the vehicle they will. Things like speed, throttle position, braking etc. These cars now days have senors everywhere. You have wheel sensors for your ABS, you have vehicle speed sensor, throttle position sensor blah blah blah. If they can retrieve that info they damn sure will. It can prove or disprove fault and/or vehicle malfunction etc. The 2 fatal motorcycle wrecks I worked were Harley's. They also told us the same about the key. Keep it turned off. So in short, Black Box is just a data recorder. GPS and Timestamping can even be recorded. Were you coming from a bar? They are getting very sophisticated. I've heard recently, that GM is making a statement, you don't own a car now. You just pay to license it and use it. Kinda like how Microsoft doesn't support Win XP now, so what good is it?

WTF.....

How does one go about clearing info or even removing said ******** box?

neginfluence04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Melvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Sub
Engine Size
Once my tune comes in they are going to see a **** LOAD of 0-100 pulls for data logging :)

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
WTF.....

How does one go about clearing info or even removing said ******** box?

It would be complicated ..... but the new vehicles are actively sending data via the On-Star antenna back to the auto makers on a daily basis. giving info like fuel consumption, average miles/day, locations, even can send voice recordings of conversations and phone calls !

Automobiles are not currently governed under privacy laws :Insane:

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I have heard of that info being put on a police accident report and given to insurance company. Say you were speeding or drag racing at the time, and lost control for whatever reason, and crashed. Guess what happens when they get it? If you are lucky your premium just goes waaay up. More than likely you will get cancelled. No more using "the deer ran out in front of me" excuse.

I think the mechanic at the dealership can also access this info too can't he ? Maybe not I am not sure but I always thought they could. I also think the box has a speed cutoff feature as well doesn't it? It limits how fast the car can go. I was told that, prior to the latest generation, most cars cut out at like 108-116. The police interceptor packages let the car go faster -like 140 I think. Not sure but I heard that somewhere as well.

Yeah it isn't like the old days for sure. All in the name of safety. Like HR says pretty soon we will just rent the darn things.

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
OnStar antennas can be disconnected...

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I have heard of that info being put on a police accident report and given to insurance company. Say you were speeding or drag racing at the time, and lost control for whatever reason, and crashed. Guess what happens when they get it? If you are lucky your premium just goes waaay up. More than likely you will get cancelled. No more using "the deer ran out in front of me" excuse.

I think the mechanic at the dealership can also access this info too can't he ? Maybe not I am not sure but I always thought they could. I also think the box has a speed cutoff feature as well doesn't it? It limits how fast the car can go. I was told that, prior to the latest generation, most cars cut out at like 108-116. The police interceptor packages let the car go faster -like 140 I think. Not sure but I heard that somewhere as well.

Yeah it isn't like the old days for sure. All in the name of safety. Like HR says pretty soon we will just rent the darn things.

Dealership info is pretty much limited to DTC information. Depending on make of vehicle, most have a separate recorder you can hook up to see what the computer sees when a check engine light comes on. The boxes they're speaking of aren't accessible to mechanics. The speed limiter is usually part of the factory computer program, and either is set for a top speed, or in the case of Honda, an overall rpm. I know the article mentioned about the corporations claiming ownership. What they were trying to do is claim copyright ownership of the programming. So you couldn't reflash the car to improve performance, or anything. They're trying to claim it's a safety hazzard. I don't see them getting very far with that though, because it would seem to me if they're going to claim ownership, then they'd be on the hook for maintenance and repairs for the life of the vehicle, instead of whatever warranty the factory offers.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Not to mention law suits when someone is injured in THEIR car!

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Dealership info is pretty much limited to DTC information. Depending on make of vehicle, most have a separate recorder you can hook up to see what the computer sees when a check engine light comes on. The boxes they're speaking of aren't accessible to mechanics. The speed limiter is usually part of the factory computer program, and either is set for a top speed, or in the case of Honda, an overall rpm. I know the article mentioned about the corporations claiming ownership. What they were trying to do is claim copyright ownership of the programming. So you couldn't reflash the car to improve performance, or anything. They're trying to claim it's a safety hazzard. I don't see them getting very far with that though, because it would seem to me if they're going to claim ownership, then they'd be on the hook for maintenance and repairs for the life of the vehicle, instead of whatever warranty the factory offers.

Thanks for clarifying that info. Could you imagine the price of a vehicle if the car companies were responsible for the maintenance and repairs of a vehicle? If you were a mechanic, you would have some serious job security. Yeah. Wow. :Insane:

neginfluence04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Melvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Sub
Engine Size
My tune should be here in the next few days one for the camaro and one for the cruze. Tunes are supposed to.improve power band, fuel, spark, eliminate the top speed sensor, drastically improve shifting, and drastically improve the HP and trq. The tunes are said to bot set off any kind of flags with the factory ecu or prgramomg so if the cars have a warranty issue i.can take them in for work with no worries. They have done 10s of thousands and have yet to have someone report that the dealer refused warranty work due to the tune.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad