The never ending 700r4 Lockup questions haha

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
So I can unplug D->4th gear switch and change it to B->4th Gear. That way it is correct. Now my current setup provides ground when in 3rd or 4th. is that an issue I need to replace with a different switch? Im assuming yes because that means it closes in 3rd and 4th gear instead of opens.

D->Neg that is easy. Im gonna purchase a 2 wire TCC from Rock Auto.

Now I don't understand the temp switch and the 4-3 switch you have drawn there. What do they physically look like so I know what to run through. Im assuming this diagram means that ECM can ground the TCC or if the transmission is in 4th gear at high temp?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
So I can unplug D->4th gear switch and change it to B->4th Gear. That way it is correct. Now my current setup provides ground when in 3rd or 4th. is that an issue I need to replace with a different switch? Im assuming yes because that means it closes in 3rd and 4th gear instead of opens.

D->Neg that is easy. Im gonna purchase a 2 wire TCC from Rock Auto.

Now I don't understand the temp switch and the 4-3 switch you have drawn there. What do they physically look like so I know what to run through. Im assuming this diagram means that ECM can ground the TCC or if the transmission is in 4th gear at high temp?

Temp switch will close with temp, and is a 1 terminal silver switch that grounds through its bracket to the trans. The bracket is just a curved piece of spring steel.
4/3 switch opens to unlock on shifting from 3 to 4 and vice versa. It is a 2 terminal NC switch. We need HotRod to intervien at some point here as another set of educated eyes. I am not 100% confident on identifying trans circuits, especially since I dont have the 2 different valve bodies sitting here, whitch he may have, or have better diagrams than us.

Last edited:

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
Lol Ok thanks. I'll see what I can find unless HR chimes in. I guess I'll pm him

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Not with what I have here, and I would have to be there in person with a meter to be 100% sure of what I am looking at.

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
ok I got my setup figured out. Only problem between mine and what you are suggesting is my 4th Gear switch is NO instead of NC. What is the ECM looking for to know that it is in 4th gear; ground or loss of ground? If I need a new switch im having a hard time finding them online. And are they self grounding or do I need a wire to ground?

I don't have a Temp switch in my pan either but o well.

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
ok I got my setup figured out. Only problem between mine and what you are suggesting is my 4th Gear switch is NO instead of NC. What is the ECM looking for to know that it is in 4th gear; ground or loss of ground? If I need a new switch im having a hard time finding them online. And are they self grounding or do I need a wire to ground?

I don't have a Temp switch in my pan either but o well.

4th gear switch is nomally open from all the info I can find, ecm would be looking for ground. Also, the normally open switches are silver, normally closed are a goldish color.

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
ok then im good in that aspect. Unfortunately mine is two post meaning its mean to connect a circuit not self ground. Currently the TCC Signal switch is self grounding. IDK what that is for but if im reading my schematics correctly that is were the old set up was getting ground for the EGR. It looks like a normal self grounding switch, could I switch it with the 4th gear switch so that 4th gear is self grounding and just use the 2 post switch as a "plug" in that hole.

This would then mean I just need a 2 wire solenoid and im golden :) So long as you think im ok without a temperature switch

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
This is what im thinking. Am I correct? or is this Temperature sensor important

Attachments

• 20131015_163833.jpg
    20131015_163833.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 93

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
ok then im good in that aspect. Unfortunately mine is two post meaning its mean to connect a circuit not self ground. Currently the TCC Signal switch is self grounding. IDK what that is for but if im reading my schematics correctly that is were the old set up was getting ground for the EGR. It looks like a normal self grounding switch, could I switch it with the 4th gear switch so that 4th gear is self grounding and just use the 2 post switch as a "plug" in that hole.

This would then mean I just need a 2 wire solenoid and im golden :) So long as you think im ok without a temperature switch

You can use the two post, just have to run a ground wire off the other side...no biggy really. I would just leave any unused switches in.

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
ok thanks. Ordered new Solenoid. I'll let you know how it goes haha. meantime ill wire up the ECM the proper way

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
ok thanks. Ordered new Solenoid. I'll let you know how it goes haha. meantime ill wire up the ECM the proper way

You diagram looks good. i am guessing that the temp switch is there to keep from locking untill fluid is up to temp...I dunno how detrimental it would be to not use one.Ok, was looking back a few posts. N.O. switch for 4th gear is not correct, according to the GM Factory diagram, It says " opens in 4th gear. Let me do some more looking, but I would go with what the diagram says...apparently what I found was just conjecture.

Last edited:

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
Have you found anything more on the 4th gear switch? I got everything together now and it doesn't seem like its working. I'll test grounding out pin D for lockup

Edit
Ok with my laptop plugged into it I now have some different data points to look out then with the last PROM. There is a "No High Gear" flag and a "TCC Locked" flag. Only time no high gear is lit is when the truck is off. Tcc locked comes on in 4th gear with steady pedal pressure. But I don't feel the lock up engaging or disengaging. I gently pressed the brake while driving and noticed no difference in rpms or engine sound

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Have you found anything more on the 4th gear switch? I got everything together now and it doesn't seem like its working. I'll test grounding out pin D for lockup

Edit
Ok with my laptop plugged into it I now have some different data points to look out then with the last PROM. There is a "No High Gear" flag and a "TCC Locked" flag. Only time no high gear is lit is when the truck is off. Tcc locked comes on in 4th gear with steady pedal pressure. But I don't feel the lock up engaging or disengaging. I gently pressed the brake while driving and noticed no difference in rpms or engine sound

Hmmm. Maybe the wrong type of switch on the 4th gear circuit? May have to put a tach on it. If you ground it, and there is no lockup, you might have a torn O ring on the new tcc solenoid.

Last edited:

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
I have a tach on my truck. Should it seem like its hitting a 5th gear?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I have a tach on my truck. Should it seem like its hitting a 5th gear?

Nahhh, maybe a 2 or 300 rpm or so drop....never really noticed RPM when my laptop was hooked up, but if you can hear your exhaust, you will know if its working. sometimes at the right speed/rpms, there is a little kick in the ass.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69