Speed sensor question — 700R4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
@Old77 Not to change the subject, but, YOU brought it up. In the Baseball world, how old are your boys and what positions do they play? My Bride and my world kinda revolves around Baseball and Softball......year round:banana-mario:
Oldest is into football and doesn't like baseball
13 (almost 14) year old is an outfielder/pitcher after playing 3rd for a few years
11 yr old is into soccer and doesn't like baseball
8 yr old plays where ever you want him but has a really strong arm for his age right now. Throws much further than other boys his age right now for some reason :shrug:

Backyard

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You don't need the dakota digital speed sensor. Just look the pulses per mile of your existing sensor and see if the gauges can be calibrated to that pulses per mile "ppm"

TFerguson

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350 (5.7)
So you can't go straight from the DRAC to the DD box to get the speed output? According to the pinout info I'm finding that is the light blue/black stripe wire coming out of the C15 port on the DRAC.
I wonder if we might have different Dakota Digital models, because I have no mention of a DRAC in the docs for mine. Mine is the VHX, which wires up like this:
You must be registered for see images attach

The two wires from the OE speed sensor (VSS) go straight into those two ports on my DD box - no device in between. Apologies if you mentioned a different model.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I wonder if we might have different Dakota Digital models, because I have no mention of a DRAC in the docs for mine. Mine is the VHX, which wires up like this:

The two wires from the OE speed sensor (VSS) go straight into those two ports on my DD box - no device in between. Apologies if you mentioned a different model.

I assume your solution was on your 90 Blazer with the 350 or was it on another square?

Yeah, Mine is very similar. My model is HDX but my DD box looks very similar to that. With the instructions also come with the below as posted earlier. So long story short, I know a speed output signal comes from the DRAC module which to me looks like the directions in the upper right corner but then like you pointed out there's going your route in the lower left corner and pull signal from the VSS and then make the additional adjustment that you did per what DD help desk told ya. I investigated the DRAC route based on what @bucket mentioned a few posts earlier.

TFerguson

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350 (5.7)
I assume your solution was on your 90 Blazer with the 350 or was it on another square?

Yeah, Mine is very similar. My model is HDX but my DD box looks very similar to that. With the instructions also come with the below as posted earlier. So long story short, I know a speed output signal comes from the DRAC module which to me looks like the directions in the upper right corner but then like you pointed out there's going your route in the lower left corner and pull signal from the VSS and then make the additional adjustment that you did per what DD help desk told ya. I investigated the DRAC route based on what @bucket mentioned a few posts earlier.

You are correct - this is on the 90 Blazer w/ 350 & 700R4. Pretty much the stock setup.

That green paper looks familiar, and I think was adding to my confusion about wiring up the speedo. But in the end was pretty simple: just the two existing VSS wires to the "SPD-" and "SPD SND" direct to the DD box, and then just the wire out from the "SPD OUT" port on the DD to the ECM.

I seem to recall reading that earlier 700r4 trannies did not come with an electronic speed sender, and so had the mechanical sender (some even had both, I think??). I think that's why they include the mechanical converter in the package.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
You are correct - this is on the 90 Blazer w/ 350 & 700R4. Pretty much the stock setup.

That green paper looks familiar, and I think was adding to my confusion about wiring up the speedo. But in the end was pretty simple: just the two existing VSS wires to the "SPD-" and "SPD SND" direct to the DD box, and then just the wire out from the "SPD OUT" port on the DD to the ECM.

I seem to recall reading that earlier 700r4 trannies did not come with an electronic speed sender, and so had the mechanical sender (some even had both, I think??). I think that's why they include the mechanical converter in the package.
Gotcha. Thank you for the info. Your set up and mine should be pretty much identical with mine being a 90/350/700R4, also. Appreciate the insight. I'll let you know how things progress this week :)

TFerguson

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350 (5.7)
Gotcha. Thank you for the info. Your set up and mine should be pretty much identical with mine being a 90/350/700R4, also. Appreciate the insight. I'll let you know how things progress this week :)
Hope it all goes well. My DD gauge install was a slight pain, but I really love how it looks and all the extra features. I also added on a trans temp sender module for mine, which is pretty cool as well.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
@TFerguson the electronic speedo trucks used a DRAC module. The module was wired inline between the ECM and the VSS. You confirmed my suspicion about a potential VSS code by bypassing the drac module, but you obviously found an easy way around it.

Sounds like there's two ways to skin that VSS cat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512