TH400 Vs 700R4 Vs 4L80e Vs gear vendor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
To further the "which transmission" discussion, if I ever have a failure with my TH400, I am considering 4L80E, 6L80/90E, and the 5/6 speed Allison transmissions. And before anyone says anything, yes I realize all the "problems" and obstacles that would come with each one.

You had better find some wood to knock on, I said that before thanksgiving, and bwamo!
Allison would be the biggest bitch, you would need a 2" body lift to clear it.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You had better find some wood to knock on, I said that before thanksgiving, and bwamo!
Allison would be the biggest bitch, you would need a 2" body lift to clear it.

:mwah1: I had my wife help me in the wood knockin' department....

That Allison is a big bitch. The transmission at least. I dated an Allison, she got addicted to working out and got too skinny. If it requires a body lift or more than minor surgery to the tunnel, that will be a big negative. And the Allison needs one if not both. Adapters and controllers shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

4L80E is the most do-able. I haven't really sat down and figured the ratio spread and how it translate into staying in the power band after shifting.

The 6L80/90E are intriguing for the ratio spread part. Not sure that double over-drive in necessary, but with the right gears it could be good. Would make first gear very torque laden, but hopefully not to short and unuseable. A "tune" for towing only using the first overdrive is a real possibility for this. I hear these are on the portly size also.

Homework to do. And if my transmission were to take a dump, no biggie to be honest. Yeah it will cost money to fix, but it's not my DD, I really only drive it about 1,000 miles a year, and I can use my dad's truck in the event I really need one and mine is unavailable. And his is nicer anyway.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
:mwah1: I had my wife help me in the wood knockin' department....

That Allison is a big bitch. The transmission at least. I dated an Allison, she got addicted to working out and got too skinny. If it requires a body lift or more than minor surgery to the tunnel, that will be a big negative. And the Allison needs one if not both. Adapters and controllers shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

4L80E is the most do-able. I haven't really sat down and figured the ratio spread and how it translate into staying in the power band after shifting.

The 6L80/90E are intriguing for the ratio spread part. Not sure that double over-drive in necessary, but with the right gears it could be good. Would make first gear very torque laden, but hopefully not to short and unuseable. A "tune" for towing only using the first overdrive is a real possibility for this. I hear these are on the portly size also.

Homework to do. And if my transmission were to take a dump, no biggie to be honest. Yeah it will cost money to fix, but it's not my DD, I really only drive it about 1,000 miles a year, and I can use my dad's truck in the event I really need one and mine is unavailable. And his is nicer anyway.

I dunno, I think stuff goes to **** quicker if you dont drive it.
When it comes to gears, I think the more, the better. especially if it allows the use of a smaller, more fuel efficient engine. I think a 350 with a 6 speed would be just right.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I dunno, I think stuff goes to **** quicker if you dont drive it.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with that! I would rather have a "consistently" used older vehicle, rather than a very low mileage one. Even though my truck is lucky to squeak out 9 mpg, I still try to drive it every couple of weeks, once a month for sure. Even that is uncomfortable for me.

When it comes to gears, I think the more, the better. especially if it allows the use of a smaller, more fuel efficient engine. I think a 350 with a 6 speed would be just right.

I agree here too.

My ultimate goal is to have my 400 rebuilt and do EFI. Couple that with the 6 speed ideally and the right gears, and have an enjoyable truck to drive, and get decent MPG's, so it doesn't hurt so much to drive it in the compliant months around here. No winter duty for it however, that's were I need to draw the line!

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So what would be a better route for a 6 speed swap?

Get a computer from a 6 speed equipped vehicle and have all non-pertinent entities tuned out.

or...

Get a stand alone system for it. Will this have different and better control options for the transmission over a stock computer?

Hope you don't mind our take-over of your thread ScottyB!

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
Hope you don't mind our take-over of your thread ScottyB!

I am horribly offended and believe that the WNB (Wet Noodle Brigade) should be called out immediately to deal with those responsible for hijacking my most important of threads.

Either that or I'll just sit back and maybe learn something. :popcorn:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Or we could really blow the fuggin roof off this thread !!! What's all this talk about the Automatic Transmissions Girls??? :shrug: Go with NV4500 or 6500 or hand over your MAN CARD !!!

Attachments

• ManPedal.jpg
    ManPedal.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 101

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
Or we could really blow the fuggin roof off this thread !!! What's all this talk about the Automatic Transmissions Girls??? :shrug: Go with NV4500 or 6500 or hand over your MAN CARD !!!

Sorry, been pushing a clutch for work for too many years. Don't want to do that anymore. Tired of my Ranger for the same reason. I enjoy driving but just don't want to work at it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sorry, been pushing a clutch for work for too many years. Don't want to do that anymore. Tired of my Ranger for the same reason. I enjoy driving but just don't want to work at it.

I know what you mean. I'm belly aching to get my A833 OD 4 speed in one of my trucks, and not even sure I'll be able to drive it with my back ailments. The damn squares don't give a 6'2 guy much leg room, so scrunched up as I already am, then going to be lifting my left leg to clutch it? :shrug: and my aliments affect all of my left side most. At least driving the roll backs, I could float shift those and didn't use the clutch much, and that's sitting up much higher so the clutch wasn't as much work IMO. Going to be challenging to say the least but I still want it.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I've only been driving commercially for a little over a decade and I am already feeling it in my left hip. I get why people like manuals and I will insist my kids learn to drive one, but I don't care to do so any longer. Life's to short to hurt yourself on purpose.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've only been driving commercially for a little over a decade and I am already feeling it in my left hip. I get why people like manuals and I will insist my kids learn to drive one, but I don't care to do so any longer. Life's to short to hurt yourself on purpose.

Yes sir !!! I got a ****** left knee too. Been driving manual transmissions in trucks, cars, motorhomes and big trucks since 13. To much manual trans driving in Los Angeles stop and go rush hour traffic. Now that flat sucks !!! You'll wear a left knee out in a quick hurry and I did it for years.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I vote 4l80e! Im happier than a ***** in a dick tree!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
:laughing1: :happy175: I about spit out my Pepsi !!! I seen when Jim said it the other day too.

Can't wait to see that Geico Commercial !!! How happy is 1low Jimmy???

Happier than a ***** in a dick tree!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP