TH400 help. (front servo)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86Peter454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
so im rebuilding a known good (or so i thought) th400. it came out of my 72 c20 it worked just fine when i parked the truck.

took the thing apart and found that there was a shift kit put in it at some point (who new) and they removed the 2-3 accumulator spring out (thats fine i was going to do it anyway)

well the c clip that holds that piston down was broken (i found part of it leaning against one of the check balls in the labyrinth) and i guess that chewed the **** out of some stuff. here are some pics.

https://imgur.com/a/paPuK

(its a link to an album have descriptions under the photos)

basically want to know if i just clean up the burs raised by the broken c clip and get a new cclip will that be okay? or do i need a new valve body and case?(pls say no)

also how do i keep the c clip from breaking again?

thanks for any help!

86Peter454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
it may help to let you know what i plan on doing.

my plan was to rebuild the trans. internally dual feed. (this would include blocking the 2-3 accumulator hole)

doing the 1-2 shift mod so it doesnt panic shift out of low 1.

so then let me add one more level to this too.

if i converted the valve body to go full manual (plug gov. ports and drill the hole to loop the gov fluid)

would that make it so this case is okay to use if not okay to use in automatic situation?

i dont mind running full manual.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I ran across this before, personally I'd just grab another VB out of the pile clean it up and be done, or go full manual if you want, either way it's no big deal really..

86Peter454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I ran across this before, personally I'd just grab another VB out of the pile clean it up and be done, or go full manual if you want, either way it's no big deal really..

well its looking like my governor went all wonky and the case has some damage there too so im thinking of just going full manual so i can eliminate the governor and not have to deal with it.

sadly i dont have any other valve bodies as this is the only trans ive torn apart ever. you think cleaning up the burs would be okay if i go full manual then? you think the case is anything to worry about where the servo goes?

and one last question do you recommend i do the torque converter feed pump mod? using stock spring and stuff in the pump but cant tell if it would be best to do it or not.

thank you for your help and insight.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well, it's not that uncommon for a governor bore to get goobered up, they can be sleeved but I couldn't tell ya what the cost would be these days.. As far as the feed goes, IMO unless your turning rpm's to the moon all the time in a race deal with high pressure I wouldn't do it, in fact I don't really know how it would work with stock pressure, I've only done it on race applications.. BTW, I have a couple stock valve bodies laying around I could part with if you decide to stick with automatic, just something to think about..

86Peter454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Alright man. Thanks for the info. I did see where most people doing g that mod had upgraded the pump pressure to 200psi. But I also saw where people claim that it's an inherent issue with th400 and should be done on all of them to prevent thrust washer wear.

I'll pm you about the valve body.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blazermaniac