tbi to carb wiring ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Layne02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
Ok, I know a lot of people have an opinion on this swap and thats fine, to each his own. Now, what I need to know about is from anyone that has completed this swap. I have couple questions on the wiring. First , will anything need to be still plugged into the computer or can I just unplug it and leave wires where they are? I know I need 12v to distributor and one to electric choke, but where have you robbed it from? Is the pink wire that ran to coil a source or is it ran through computer? Also, does the wire going to alternator ok to just reuse like it is? Does it go to computer first? Anyone that can give me detailed wiring instructions for this swap would be great, thanks.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Computer can be removed. The wires mentioned do not go through it. But if keeping electric fuel pump, keep the computer so it would prime the pump with key on.

Layne02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
Ok, so alternator wire ok, not using electric fuel pump, have mechanical with return line, what about where to rob 12v wires for distr. and choke?

Layne02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
Ok, just wanted to update on this in case anyone doing same thing. I completely unplugged ECM, tapped into the large pink ign wire coming out of firewall and ran to distributor, then tapped into the white wire going to wipers for choke. Running a mechanical pump with a return line, ( yes the hole for pump shaft was there), truck is running great now. I know people consider it a downgrade , but , man I never could get it to run like this with TBI system even after changing everything. I am sure there was just some gremlin in it before that I could never find, but I am so happy with how it runs now, and that's what it's all about to me. Thanks everyone.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Is your mechanical fuel pump sucking through a stock non-op pump in the tank?

Layne02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
Yes, pump is still in tank , just not hooked up, seems to pull trough sender just fine

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Cool, I always wondered how well that would work, if at all.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok, just wanted to update on this in case anyone doing same thing. I completely unplugged ECM, tapped into the large pink ign wire coming out of firewall and ran to distributor, then tapped into the white wire going to wipers for choke. Running a mechanical pump with a return line, ( yes the hole for pump shaft was there), truck is running great now. I know people consider it a downgrade , but , man I never could get it to run like this with TBI system even after changing everything. I am sure there was just some gremlin in it before that I could never find, but I am so happy with how it runs now, and that's what it's all about to me. Thanks everyone.
Way cool, I think it's a HUGE UPGRADE, lol, I'll be doing the same thing on mine..:D

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I’ve always just used the in tank pump with a return regulator

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I’ve always just used the in tank pump with a return regulator
Bad part about that is there is an electronic part that can(will)take a **** at the most inopportune time, and without that pump you can eliminate that POS regulator..:D

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Bad part about that is there is an electronic part that can(will)take a **** at the most inopportune time, and without that pump you can eliminate that POS regulator..:D
What POS regulator? I’ve use diferant ones the last one was the Holley I have on the black truck now it worked on the Chevelle and the S10. The S10 was a 92 same TBI crap on these trucks. The Audi had an Aeromotive because that’s what kind of pump I ran on it way more spendy then the Holley for sure.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
What POS regulator? I’ve use diferant ones the last one was the Holley I have on the black truck now it worked on the Chevelle and the S10. The Audi had an Aeromotive because that’s what kind of pump I ran on it.
The Holley is a big restrictor and they fail, the Aeromotive is a very good one..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
The Holley is a big restrictor and they fail, the Aeromotive is a very good one..
Tell me about it.... if price dictates quality it was real damn good. I’m only trying to regulate 5psi. I still need to get a new gauge but it’s been cold and getting it to start with no choke is a bitch. Lol and when I say cold I don’t mean 60 either lol

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Tell me about it.... if price dictates quality it was real damn good. I’m only trying to regulate 5psi. I still need to get a new gauge but it’s been cold and getting it to start with no choke is a bitch. Lol and when I say cold I don’t mean 60 either lol
Yeah, they can be a bitch to start without a choke, can't blame it though, lol..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk