85 GMC Engine Wiring Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scape

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
LS
I bought an 85 GMC C25 and am in the process of swapping it all over to a SWB C15 frame. Truck has a 350 "M" with THM400 all original.

Questions I have on engine wiring.

1. I found four wires close to the alternator that were previously cut. The look pink/black x2 and 2 solid black wires. Smog (A.I.R.) had been removed prior. I assume these wires went to something on the emissions but would like to know.

2. Blue wire from engine harness. I believe this goes to electric choke on the carb. Not sure.

3. Pink/Black wire that comes out of harness next to blue wire - where does it go?

Thanks!

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
My '87 also had the pump removed, and there is a two-wire sealing plug laying on that side of my engine. The pumps do have an electrical connection to them. I can't recall exactly what colors they are though.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Looks like a pink/black & a brown.
You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

the second photo is a zoom in of the first.

AIr diverter solenoid, possibly egr,
The brown leads to your ALDL under your dash. as well as an output from your ECM. That wouldnt be good to have ground out for sure, but it means your system may be looking for the AIR depending on how things are setup.

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size

the second photo is a zoom in of the first.

AIr diverter solenoid, possibly egr,
The brown leads to your ALDL under your dash. as well as an output from your ECM. That wouldnt be good to have ground out for sure, but it means your system may be looking for the AIR depending on how things are setup.

Ahhh, "Air Diverter Soleniod", that's good to know!

scape

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
LS
Thank you for the diagrams. If only I could make sense of them. They don't seem to match my truck as it was a 2500. I have a pink/black coming out of the harness next to a blue wire. I think the blue wire goes to the choke. Not sure where the pink/black goes. Then I have the additional two pink/blacks with two black wires that come out of harness with alternator wires...these were cut. Not as worried about where they ran as I am no longer using the smog stuff.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Thank you for the diagrams. If only I could make sense of them. They don't seem to match my truck as it was a 2500. I have a pink/black coming out of the harness next to a blue wire. I think the blue wire goes to the choke. Not sure where the pink/black goes. Then I have the additional two pink/blacks with two black wires that come out of harness with alternator wires...these were cut. Not as worried about where they ran as I am no longer using the smog stuff.
Dontcha just love it when a "hacker" goes into a harness and cuts everything loose.. As to that pink/black wire. It runs all over the place providing ignitioon On power for lots of stuff.. Starting with the ignition hot circuits, ignition ON voltage is used to feed the electric choke. A wire that basically is hot with ignition on goes to an oil pressure switch. (ON with pressure, OFF with no pressure) This wire is pink/black. From the other terminal on that switch, a blue wire goes to the choke,,, If your choke wire is hot with ignition ON but engine isn't running, your choke circuit is wired wrong. That oil pressure switch is located in the block just above the oil filter. It is a totally separate circuit from the oil pressure sending unit for the gauge.

scape

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
LS
Appreciate this feedback. I will dig into this tomorrow. Mine does not have the oil pressure switch in that location, but is combined with the oil pressure sending unit at the back of the intake. Here is my harness and what I know goes where...or, at least think I know. Here is a diagram I put together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507