Suburban to Avalanche Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I was thinking a Chinaman could finally get something right, and call it a K5 Brazer !!!

:dogpile:

That's so wrong but so funny at the same time, lol.

I too would much rather have the K5's removable top on the back of a Burb.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
this thread is killin me!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

1982K15

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Frankenstein GMChevy
Engine Size
305 V8
Honestly looks great. someone here in Erie attempted to do that with a 92, and it was totaly hacked

notverrysmart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
EJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Not to my taste but looks pretty clean, and the owner can say he has the only one in existance lol.

I was thinking if I ever get the time/space/money/skills of making a K5 Brazer (as it has now been dubbed lol) but my imagination was to have the shell be the full length which would also involve chopping the doors so the whole thing could be topless. In my mind it looks good, and everybody likes topless lol.

denniswhurley

Reaction score
First Name
dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Stepside
Engine Size
Burbalanche

Ok I am going to post on a dead 4 year old thread... Has anyone done this? I am seriously thinking about it... do you think the bed sides would be ok or need to be reinforced? thoughts? Ideas? Guidance??

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ok I am going to post on a dead 4 year old thread... Has anyone done this? I am seriously thinking about it... do you think the bed sides would be ok or need to be reinforced? thoughts? Ideas? Guidance??

Do it !!! We'd like to see it done. Be sure to take lots of pics and post up. Start a build thread on that project in the Under Construction section.

I'm just think the sidewalls or bedsides as you call them would be a bit flimsy, so what I'd do is find an old rusted out rotted bed for next to nothing, like scrap metal cheap, then I'd cut the top of the bed rails off to be used for this project and that would stiffen and reinforce the sidewalls, not to mention look OEM like.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I agree with what you were saying earlier in the thread pertaining to the look. Centurion Vehicles used to extend those Broncos to four doors when they made them. I'm not sure if all of them were removable top half cabs like the two door, but I know at least some of them were. If that could be translated into the Suburban project, I think that would be nice.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I agree with what you were saying earlier in the thread pertaining to the look. Centurion Vehicles used to extend those Broncos to four doors when they made them. I'm not sure if all of them were removable top half cabs like the two door, but I know at least some of them were. If that could be translated into the Suburban project, I think that would be nice.

So a blend of a Subrban and a K5.....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

You know Ford actually made those 4 door Broncos long long ago. I know for a fact in like the 79 ish body style. My buddy worked on it. I was like WTF? This was in about 87 or so in So Cali, when it came into the gas station shop where I was working with a buddy. I asked if it was a chop job or what, that I'd never seen such a thing. He told me to get in it and and look around a bit. I finally noticed the Speedo in KM, and all the gauges, lights, switches, warning stickers etc were in Spanish. It was a Mexican vehicle. Not sold in USA.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
On a quick Google Search for Mexican 4 door Ford Bronco, here's a few pics. Notice, removable top model and non removable top model.

Attachments

• FordBronco4dr2x4.jpg
    FordBronco4dr2x4.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 166
  • FordBronco4dr4x4.jpg
    FordBronco4dr4x4.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 145
  • FordBronco4drNonRemTop.jpg
    FordBronco4drNonRemTop.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 156

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I think that looks pretty good, especially the top one. I don't know why that never caught on here Ford or even why Ford didn't make a four door MPV unless they thought they couldn't make it in the market or whatever. I almost thought they got rid of that weird triangular B pillar that Ford and Dodges had back then, but it looks like it's there. I've seen the Centurion Broncos before, but that's a cool share.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69