Stuck in 4x4!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Cannot get my truck out of 4 high! I have no linkage in it I put it in 4x4 with my hand( wich I have done before) and got it out with a small crow bar while rocking truck back and forth with my foot.. I cannot for the life of me get it out!!! Super stuck truck wasn't running have tried while truck was running no luck have been driving Round like this with hubs unlocked.. Any advise ???

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Try driving forward a bit (with the hubs engaged), then again in reverse for a few feet, stop and put the gearshift in neutral. Get out and disengage the hubs. Then hop back in and the T/C range selector should slip right into N.

I know, I know - it sounds like some bizarre voodoo ritual. But I swear, it used work on my old truck. Most of the time.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Tried that still no luck! Am I destroying my t case by driving around like this?? Should I change the fluid?? Will that help?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I looked around and everyone pretty much offers the same advice as I did. Some do say to just go in reverse (and not to go forward after that), stop, shift transmission to N and move the T/C lever.

As long as the hubs are unlocked there is no mechanical connection between the road wheels and the axles. Without that connection, there is no force transmitted in either direction (wheels to drivetrain or drivetrain to wheels). So no undue load or strain on the front drivetrain from the wheels and no power to the wheels from the drivetrain

All you are doing is spinning the driveshaft and axles in their bearings. You are probably increasing your fuel consumption about .01 mpg.

What model is the T/C anyway - NP205, correct? Get that info and post.

I think I skimmed over this:

I have no linkage in it I put it in 4x4 with my hand( wich I have done before) and got it out with a small crow bar while rocking truck back and forth with my foot.

I gotta admire you man! That's hard-******-core. Sounds like something I'd do.

Maybe you should consider some kind of linkage, those 205's have a tendency to get sticky sometimes.

The strain from the rear drive needs to be released - usually just putting the tranny in N will do it. Maybe consider lifting the rear end with a jack just enough so that the tires are clear of the ground?

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Transfer case still stuck engaged!!thought I would change the fluid today to see if that helped.. Stuck my finger in the drain hole defiantly some busted up small peices of steel in there! Is it safe to say this t case (208) is junk? And may never disengage??? Worked great wen I engaged it by hand for a Michigan snow/ice storm ..

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ah, it's a 208. So that must be why there's no linkage, it was swapped in without it.

Sounds broken. And not from running it in 4x4 with the hubs unlocked. Every 208 I've ever dealt with has shifted through the ranges easily, with neutral only needed to hit 4 low.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Transfer case worked fine wen I bought it worked good this winter .. And as far as I no will operate correctly if I lock the hubs .. I was doing some work on the truck and somehow lost the linkage..

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Are your tire sizes/brands all the same? Have you tried putting the truck on jackstands all around and see if that relieves whatever is binding long enough to get it to pop out of 4wd? You could pull the front driveshaft for now till you get the t-case figured out.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Are your tire sizes/brands all the same? Have you tried putting the truck on jackstands all around and see if that relieves whatever is binding long enough to get it to pop out of 4wd? You could pull the front driveshaft for now till you get the t-case figured out.

Yea all tires same size and brand .. My garage is to small to get it on 4 jack stands lol good idea tho..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan87r10