Stores Don't Sell Speedo Cable Lube Anymore - Now What?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I've used Dorman Champ 03344 in the past, and it's a good product. I purchased it from O'Reillys, and Advance used to sell it, too. Now O'Reilly shows "no pricing for store" regardless of the location, and it says you have to special order it. Advance will ship it to your house (also won't let it come to the store), but I need it now before school starts, and I'm driving a lot. What would/do you guys use barring ordering it online? I have some Liquid Wrench dry lube, and I know Blaster makes the Graphite Dry Lube. I checked the safety sheet on the latter, and nowhere on the ingredients does it say graphite. It's just their "trade secret" and various propellants. I thought about making my own out of dry graphite and 100% isopropyl alcohol, but my concern there is will it be a fully homogenous mixture if I do it that way or will it be chunky/not well mixed, evaporation if there's any lapse in homemade containment, and what's an approximate ratio for mixing it? I don't want to screw up my cable with residues that wouldn't have otherwise come about using the correct product.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I've used Dorman Champ 03344 in the past, and it's a good product. I purchased it from O'Reillys, and Advance used to sell it, too. Now O'Reilly shows "no pricing for store" regardless of the location, and it says you have to special order it. Advance will ship it to your house (also won't let it come to the store), but I need it now before school starts, and I'm driving a lot. What would/do you guys use barring ordering it online? I have some Liquid Wrench dry lube, and I know Blaster makes the Graphite Dry Lube. I checked the safety sheet on the latter, and nowhere on the ingredients does it say graphite. It's just their "trade secret" and various propellants. I thought about making my own out of dry graphite and 100% isopropyl alcohol, but my concern there is will it be a fully homogenous mixture if I do it that way or will it be chunky/not well mixed, evaporation if there's any lapse in homemade containment, and what's an approximate ratio for mixing it? I don't want to screw up my cable with residues that wouldn't have otherwise come about using the correct product.
Make a sample batch to experiment with.

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
try searching Dorman 9-1812 in your local area. or use the liquid wrench spray graphite.
Old timers will say to use white lithium grease but I could never see it getting to the center of the cable cover.

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Make a sample batch to experiment with.

I'll do that. I don't know why they quit carrying the stuff. I guess they're trying to phase out old cars and trucks one little thing at a time.

try searching Dorman 9-1812

That's the number Advance uses. You can get it anywhere online, but they don't carry it in the store or let you order it conventionally and pick it up the next day like most other things.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
WD makes a dry film lube that they sell nearly everywhere.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Would 3-in-1 work? Or does it have to be dry?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Would 3-in-1 work? Or does it have to be dry?

I'm not sure if the 3 in 1's attract dirt or not, but that's the reason dry film is preferred.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I've had success with silicon spray lube. use old school motorcycle cable lube technique. Hang cable (in the sun) by one end. Make a little funnel on the cable using tape. Fill funnel with oil. Get a beer, sit down and enjoy. Go back and add more oil. Eventually (maybe after another beer) you will see the lube running out the end. Let it drip out for a few more beers. Let it hang overnight because by now you're too hammered to install it.

Ultimately I vote for (Trump if I lived south of the 49) dry graphite... just saying I have had luck with silicon spray and it's not oily once the solvent is gone. Silly lube is commonly used as lock lube (car doors, domestic, tool box latches) so I don't believe it will attract and hold dirt or gum up.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I've seen 'old timers' use a device that fits on the cable and has a zerk fitting on the other end. You pump grease into it until it comes out the other end. One of the wilder things I've seen and have not done that myself. They claim it works well but I prefer dry lube (graphite).

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I've seen 'old timers' use a device that fits on the cable and has a zerk fitting on the other end. You pump grease into it until it comes out the other end. One of the wilder things I've seen and have not done that myself. They claim it works well but I prefer dry lube (graphite).
Eww that sounds like a recipe for a snapped cable once the grease hardens.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I see your point. Apparently, it was one of those old time maintenance issues that new grease got pumped thru it at every service; i.e., oil change, tire rotation, any PM service.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
try searching Dorman 9-1812 in your local area. or use the liquid wrench spray graphite.
Old timers will say to use white lithium grease but I could never see it getting to the center of the cable cover.
I'm one of those "old timers". It's all I use for lubing the speedometer cable. Release the cable from the speedo head.. Pull the "chain" (back in the day, that's what us old timers called the flexible shaft) out and clean it.. Put a little dab of lithium between your thumb and index finger.. Slide the "chain" through the grease while feeding it back into the housing, applying only a thin film.. My tub of white lithium is about 30 - 40 years old.. It hasn't hardened the least bit, still very useable..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I'm one of those "old timers". It's all I use for lubing the speedometer cable. Release the cable from the speedo head.. Pull the "chain" (back in the day, that's what us old timers called the flexible shaft) out and clean it.. Put a little dab of lithium between your thumb and index finger.. Slide the "chain" through the grease while feeding it back into the housing, applying only a thin film.. My tub of white lithium is about 30 - 40 years old.. It hasn't hardened the least bit, still very useable..
That’s a bit different the pumping grease down the tube.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
That’s a bit different the pumping grease down the tube.
Yeah, quite a bit different... Several years ago, I made one of those "grease injection" tools from the driven gear sleeve.. I used it one time and never used it again.. Among other reasons, there's no way to gauge/measure the amount of grease being injected..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Yeah, quite a bit different... Several years ago, I made one of those "grease injection" tools from the driven gear sleeve.. I used it one time and never used it again.. Among other reasons, there's no way to gauge/measure the amount of grease being injected..
You’d think it would want to pump it towards the speedo head because of the pattern on the cable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88