Rattling speedo cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Felipe Acosta

Reaction score
First Name
Felipe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
307 5.0L
Hello, I am having issues with my speedo and/or cable. I replaced the cable and casing and now have a rattling noise coming from behind the instrument cluster. It sounds like the cable is not making good contact with the speedo. What did I do wrong? I am going nuts trying to push it in further (no good). Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Was the cable lubricated? Something quick and fairly easy to check.

If not, you can get to the spring clip that holds the cable to the speedo without taking anything apart in the dash.

Just find the cable closer to the firewall and walk up it with your hand to the speedo.

IIRC the cable end has a square head on it where it aligns with the speedo itself.

Maybe it just was not happy with the positioning.
:think:

Worth a shot, and free.

Good Luck!

Britt

Felipe Acosta

Reaction score
First Name
Felipe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
307 5.0L
Thank you for the reply. I had been messing with this cable for a while and decided to try a new one. When I removed it, I noticed that the square end that went into the speedo looked frayed. I bought a new one, lubed it and installed. It now works fine. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35