Stopping roof rust from spreading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Tittle is pretty much self explanatory. I'm new to the forum, so I sincerely do apologize if there's already something on this, I used the search feature to my best ability both looking for topics in the entire forum, and also looking specifically in Paint & Body and had no luck.

I have a couple of questions in regards to fixing/stopping the spread of rust on the roof of my 1984 C10. I'm not ready to really dig into the magnitude of bodywork I want to do to it, but the roof doesnt have any clean through holes in it, what im trying to accomplish is really stopping the rust on there from spreading and eventually making a hole before I give the body its entire going over. What the roof looks like now can be seen in the pic I'm gonna attach. I know the basics of rust removal/prevention. Sand/buff till clean metal comes up, sand to smooth surface, use rust inhibitor, then prime, paint and clearcoat. So my questions are:

1) In your experienced eyes, do you think I'll reach clean metal before sanding all the way through the panel?

2) Any products that you recommend that have worked for you?

3) Any other advice would be great, this is my first old project car with rust in it. I've mostly had newer cars. Except a 1978 Z28 but that was rust free.

Thanks in advance!
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I’d scuff off the scale and put some type of rust converter on it. Then prime it.

ripple1973

Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 blazer
Engine Size
I Have been fighting rust on my bed and the corners of my roof by the windshield. I have a K5 with alittle rust issues i been working thru. My problem is my paint is thinning and i have a brown truck. I have been putting Naval Jelly, sanding and priming.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I’d scuff off the scale and put some type of rust converter on it. Then prime it.

This ^^^. most straightforward way to go. One thing I would add, is to pop the windshield and rear glass out when you do it, as any rust in the flanges of those areas usually gets out of control because no one takes the time to go after it.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
Rust converter? Never heard of that! What is it?

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
This ^^^. most straightforward way to go. One thing I would add, is to pop the windshield and rear glass out when you do it, as any rust in the flanges of those areas usually gets out of control because no one takes the time to go after it.
Is it a huge mission/risk to take the windshield off? The rust is nowhere near the rear glass so i dont think i need to touch there yet, but it does go up against the front, but its my daily till i get my silverado fixed so I wouldnt want to tear too deep into it yet.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Rust converter? Never heard of that! What is it?

It’s either brush on or spray on stuff. You put it on rust and it turns the rust black and turns it into a primer of sorts.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.
It’s either brush on or spray on stuff. You put it on rust and it turns the rust black and turns it into a primer of sorts.
So when you use that theres no need to remove the rust all the way to the clean metal?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
So when you use that theres no need to remove the rust all the way to the clean metal?

Correct, you just want to get it he scale off.

deve05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 C.I.

Latest posts

Forum statistics