Still Super Sloppy Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I've never driven a truck that had to go thru a weigh station but; can't those things tell you how much weight is on each axle?
Would that be of any help?
Make nice nice with people at a scrap yard

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
They can actually weigh it at the truck stop near my house and give me individual axle weights as well. Or even at the parish (county) dump. So will be getting weighed on Friday.
The dump would be better because they weigh cars and pickups full of many lbs. of **** vs a truckstop that weighs semi trucks with many tons
of ****. (so much ****....:dancingpoop::dancingpoop::dancingpoop::dancingpoop::dancingpoop:)

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
we all know the front axle will have way more weight on it. is there a weight rating specifically given by GM for his axle?

Jon Karnes

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.9 12 valve Cummins Conversion
I’ll check on axle weight rating

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I'm kinda liking the overweight deal myself. I didn't realize that Cummins is around 1150 lbs.. Hell, that's what 500, 550 more than a big block???

Don't have a clue though.....
Bb chevy is around 750-800lbs iirc. The 6.2 diesel they used in my truck, tips the scales right around 1000lbs. I was wondering myself what the Cummins weighed in at.

Jon Karnes

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.9 12 valve Cummins Conversion
About 1150 I believe

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Bb chevy is around 750-800lbs iirc. The 6.2 diesel they used in my truck, tips the scales right around 1000lbs. I was wondering myself what the Cummins weighed in at.

They aren't all that heavy in the grand scheme, certainly not heavy enough to make the front end fall out of it lol.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
They aren't all that heavy in the grand scheme, certainly not heavy enough to make the front end fall out of it lol.
Nope. I'm kinda surprised the Cummins had that much more weight over the 6.2 v8.

One other thing, I know the cracked frame issue was brought up a few times, but I didn't see (or perhaps missed) any recommendations for the additional steering box/frame bracing.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Well, in addition to the cracked frame, as I've said, I've had bolts finger tight on these trucks before.

Any, the main culprit is probably the loosy goosey tilt column, if nothing obvious outside is flopping.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Well, in addition to the cracked frame, as I've said, I've had bolts finger tight on these trucks before.

Any, the main culprit is probably the loosy goosey tilt column, if nothing obvious outside is flopping.

yeah, I caught the part about the column being orig, I was simply suggesting the extra steering box bracing as a preventative measure to help against possible future cracking.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
The Offroad Designs brace is pretty good, there's like a billion out there, I just stick with what I know lol. My CUCV has a ORD brace on it.

And those bolts were finger tight lol.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
After sleeping on it....

All of the rear suspension/rear end bolts should be double checked. A loose rear end can cause the steering wheel center to move around. Maybe make it feel loose???

The late 90's Ram 2500/3500 diesels all cam with a panhard bar/track locator on .the front diff.. I don't know about the newer ones. Maybe something to think about installing on yours???

If it were mine, I would have put on a GOOD, heavy duty steering stabilizer too. I've seen bad ones cause all sorts of weird ****. Vibrations, wandering.... Don't know- one could help....

I like everyone's ideas too. The box, frame, rag joint... Best bet would be to take it to someone different for an inspection. Get some different eyes on it, and a second opinion. Some experienced old fart, that won't run away from rigs like this....

TL;DR: Buy a new truck.

Lol. j/k....

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
After sleeping on it....

All of the rear suspension/rear end bolts should be double checked. A loose rear end can cause the steering wheel center to move around. Maybe make it feel loose???

The late 90's Ram 2500/3500 diesels all cam with a panhard bar/track locator on .the front diff.. I don't know about the newer ones. Maybe something to think about installing on yours???

If it were mine, I would have put on a GOOD, heavy duty steering stabilizer too. I've seen bad ones cause all sorts of weird ****. Vibrations, wandering.... Don't know- one could help....

I like everyone's ideas too. The box, frame, rag joint... Best bet would be to take it to someone different for an inspection. Get some different eyes on it, and a second opinion. Some experienced old fart, that won't run away from rigs like this....

TL;DR: Buy a new truck.

Lol. j/k....

Panhards are for coil sprung suspensions, keeps the axle located where it should be. The geometry with leaf springs is all wrong for the application. All it woukd do is create bind. The leaf springs handle all the axle locating duties on these trucks.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Panhards are for coil sprung suspensions, keeps the axle located where it should be. The geometry with leaf springs is all wrong for the application. All it woukd do is create bind. The leaf springs handle all the axle locating duties on these trucks.

Super Duty's have track bars though, leaf sprung ones.

I would not add one to this truck however. As I've said, I've had some rough squarebody's, and they were more or less ok. And I've had some like my CUCV, that looked good, low mileage, and all over the road lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man