Still Super Sloppy Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Ok, I’ve heard of crossover steering. Don’t know anything about it though. There is a company in Colorado that makes a cross over conversions specifically for the 3/4 and 1 ton squarebodies with cummins conversions. I’ll definitely check in to that further. Also looking at their fourlink coil over conversion. But daaaaaaang, it’s pricey.
Yeah there's a few sources for the parts for crossover. This would be something I realistically would recommend should you want to upgrade your front diff to a D60 like the 1 tons have. Besides the strength required to comfortably support the extra weight now riding, the passenger knuckle has a place to mount a steering arm for crossover. You really are at the limit (well, depends how and where you drive.. hopefully 4 wheeling with your gang onboard) with the factory 10 bolt.

Jon Karnes

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.9 12 valve Cummins Conversion
No issues with the brakes do far. The lines will be getting checked soon though. Not bc there’s been a problem or anything. I’m having the rear drums converted to disc

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Im a newbie so be gentle. You can see a little of the new steering box in this picture. Does this look like a 31 year old rag joint to you guys?
You must be registered for see images attach
Ooh I like your box!
Rag joint looks exactly like mine, but a year newer. And mine is sloppy and needs to get ditched.

Gentle on a newbie...HA.
yeah no worries, this is not Pirate4x4...

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
No issues with the brakes do far. The lines will be getting checked soon though. Not bc there’s been a problem or anything. I’m having the rear drums converted to disc
What about your E brake???

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
They just appear to have little extra to them. In case of "jumping" where your axle bottoms out hard the brake lines could get tugged. Normally shock length limits the down droop... which is bogus but that's what happens.

Not trying to be super critical here I just see so much potential in your rig...
You shocks are wimpy... sorry just had to say. They are fine for now but with the weight above... How do I know they are wimpy? My dick is thicker.
Sorry I had to go there.
I have Big Attitude on shocks probably because I have wasted so many of them. I'm a race truck pilot on logging roads. Before that I was a high speed gravel road cruiser in the prairies jumping cross roads.
Not only shocks but many a shock mount went the way of tin foil under my duress.
When you're ready to step up to excellent custom valved shocks for a really decent price give these folks a call...
Doetsch tech. Family run... good people, good service, been around a long time but just hovering under main stream marketing.
http://www.shocksandsuspension.com/

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
And how many 'loose steering' threads are going now?

I bet it is directly proportional to the amount of "I have bad gas mileage" threads.

?

Wtf is with the lack of sidewall? Hold the phone!

I give up....there is no reasoning with these people.

WO WONDER IT DRIVES LIKE ****.
:gtfo:
Please don't make babies!

You have been identified as the enemy. If you hear the shot you were not the target. THIS TIME.

Last edited:

Jon Karnes

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Lack of sidewall? Perhaps you shouldn’t look at a picture with an angled perspective before opening your sewer.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Lack of sidewall? Perhaps you shouldn’t look at a picture with an angled perspective before opening your sewer.

Some people have an opinion on everything, but rarely anything helpful to say, so take it for what it's worth.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
DOH!
I'm surprised that no one has suggested that the frame behind the steering box may be cracked! You probably won't know until you remove the box.

That is a good point, it could well be flopping around on there.

Jon Karnes

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
I’m pretty sure it was intact when the new steering box was put on. I’ve only been driving it a month, but anything is possible. Louisiana roads are not gentle. When I have the shaft change done, I’ll have it checked for sure.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
On mine, it was not noticable AT ALL until I got my GF to turn the steering wheel several times while I watched everything under there. The truck that is. I took her (the GF) out to a nice dinner afterwards. I only noticed something odd and the crack (in the frame) was not easy to identify after I had removed the box. Fingernail test proved otherwise.

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
That’s a nice sized tire, doesn’t seem so big that it’d pull you around or seriously amplify any smaller issues.

I have a feeling the weight of the Cummins is a factor, but a factor worth keeping around.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
As others have said, a Dana 60 would be worth it if not financially prohibitive. It’d help with the weight of the Cummins.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Lighten up Jon he's just being sarcastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35