Still Super Sloppy Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
DOH!
I'm surprised that no one has suggested that the frame behind the steering box may be cracked! You probably won't know until you remove the box.
Well his mechanic that says these trucks were always a problem could very well have missed the cracked frame but I doubt that is the problem. The other newbie here with the Blazer on 38s that has been wheeled probably has the cracked frame.
The OP's truck is low mileage never been beat stock sized everything so I would **** my self if it had a broken frame.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'm kinda liking the overweight deal myself. I didn't realize that Cummins is around 1150 lbs.. Hell, that's what 500, 550 more than a big block???

Don't have a clue though.....

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Well his mechanic that says these trucks were always a problem could very well have missed the cracked frame but I doubt that is the problem. The other newbie here with the Blazer on 38s that has been wheeled probably has the cracked frame.
The OP's truck is low mileage never been beat stock sized everything so I would **** my self if it had a broken frame.

I've seen the bolts falling out of them before.

The simple fact is, that anything other than getting out there, and cranking the wheel while watching, maybe a strategically placed Gopro, or some type of trouble shooting is a wild ass guess.

The weight of the engine wouldn't be a factor in steering slop though.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I'm kinda liking the overweight deal myself. I didn't realize that Cummins is around 1150 lbs.. Hell, that's what 500, 550 more than a big block???

Don't have a clue though.....
they are very heavy comparably. i looked into a 12v in my chevy before i got my 12v dodge. it is a major consideration.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I've seen the bolts falling out of them before.

The simple fact is, that anything other than getting out there, and cranking the wheel while watching, maybe a strategically placed Gopro, or some type of trouble shooting is a wild ass guess.

Yeah, and like you say- someone needs to get out on it and check it. What if there isn't any slop, and the motor weight is just pushing the front end around? Possible I guess.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small

true, you wouldn't think so.

has anyone swapped a cummins into a 10 bolt truck on here before? i never really thought about that with a d60 front already..

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
they are very heavy comparably. i looked into a 12v in my chevy before i got my 12v dodge. it is a major consideration.
That's cool. I've done a bit of work on them in the past. Absolutely zero swap-wise though. I didn't even realize how much they weighed. Close to two big blocks is a ton.

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Kust throwing this out there, has anyone verified that the steeeing wheel and the shaft are turning equally?

Is it a tilt column?

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Yeah, and like you say- someone needs to get out on it and check it. What if there isn't any slop, and the motor weight is just pushing the front end around? Possible I guess.
OMG absolutely. Have you ever changed your Saginaw steering pump? You know the drill to bleed it? Jack up truck, wheels off the ground and crank the wheel back and forth about 20-50 times... THEN start it up and do it some more? What a difference turning the wheel when the tires are off the ground. There you go... more weight, more force required, more stress on pump, hoses, RAG joint, ball joints... everything.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Im a newbie so be gentle. You can see a little of the new steering box in this picture. Does this look like a 31 year old rag joint to you guys?
You must be registered for see images attach
Also verify if the box is tighten down. That's another thing like the U bolts should be re-torqued. If steering box moves enough to slip a ZigZag in between it and the frame... it's loose.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I've never driven a truck that had to go thru a weigh station but; can't those things tell you how much weight is on each axle?
Would that be of any help?

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I've never driven a truck that had to go thru a weigh station but; can't those things tell you how much weight is on each axle?
Would that be of any help?
Basically IMO too heavy for anything under a 5 ton truck.

Jon Karnes

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.9 12 valve Cummins Conversion
It is a tilt column.

And now for a little rant.

It was in storage not running for well over a decade before I got it. So every bushing in it and seal was dry rotted. So every single one was replaced with polyurethane bushings, every bearing, every joint, etc... (except door seals and window seals, those are in boxes in my living room waiting for a day warm enough to do it). Leaf springs of course. It’s got the ones that were used on the one ton 4wds at the time. If I remember right, they’re rated for 2600 a piece. Upgraded redhead steering box. According to the local four wheel drive shop, the geometry is piss perfect.

With all that done, how could it have that much play? I texted my builder earlier. Guess what.

The steering wheel, column, and shaft are 100% original!!! Only touched Enough to replace the steering box.

♂️ Really?!!!

Not to disparage his work, because his work is excellent. But that’s like running 26.1 miles of a marathon and saying f—- it, and quitting. With all the other things that were done, why not that? Compared to custom brackets and cross members for the motor, trans, and transfer case, completely rebuilding the entire front end, rebuilding the rear ended, and putting in front brakes big enough to stop a train, refreshing the steering column seems pretty simple. Isn’t that the part that marries you to the vehicle? Wouldn’t you start there? I mean, it’s an easy enough fix, and relatively inexpensive as well, but why do that?

I think you guys have helped me identify the exact problem.

I guess it’s time to find an XJ shaft. Sense it is a tilt, what needs to be done there? And is there anything else to inregards to the column and shaft besides making sure everything is still torqued down and no cracks?

Jon Karnes

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.9 12 valve Cummins Conversion
They can actually weigh it at the truck stop near my house and give me individual axle weights as well. Or even at the parish (county) dump. So will be getting weighed on Friday.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
From the steering wheel down to (but not including) the rag joint I don't see anything that would affect your steering by what I've read.
I mean, if the upper and lower bearings in the column are bad or the bolts for the tilt are bad or loose, that will not cause the bad steering condition as I understand it.

Put de lime in de coconut and call me in de morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly