Steering issue, potential solution?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HuskerFan

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
454 Big Block
Hi guys, so i posted a while ago about the steering issue i was having with my truck. Heres the thread from the post: http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?p=338208#post338208

May have figured out the problem, but need some input. After the last post on that thread, i pulled off the drivers side leaf spring pack because i thought the center bolt was broken, but it wasn't, so i put it back on. Went to start the truck, and i had had it in 4Hi when i was diagnosing this issue. My dumb ass hadn't thought to see if the issue was still happening in 2Hi, so i dropped it into 2Hi and was able to drive it around the neighborhood just fine with no popping noise. Basically when it was in 4Hi before (with the popping noise), i would try to make a turn and the truck wouldn't want to turn. I had the hubs in free (so it was in 4x2), but when i was diagnosing this issue, i had the front end jacked up and realized the passenger side front tire would spin the front driveshaft if i rotated it. Front drivers side wouldn't. So i pulled off the locking hub cover, and it was indeed stuck locked in. So i popped it out, lubed it up with a lot of WD-40, and put it back together. Now, i had driven it about 40 miles in 4x2 before this issue ever happened, but i'm sure that passenger side hub was stuck locked in. After reading some other forums online, i found out you're never supposed to drive in 4x4 on dry pavement, because when you turn the front and rear diff's will be fighting each other. My question is, could i have messed something up from that highway drive with it in 4x2, but the passenger side still being locked in (essentially in 4x3)?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
No sweat, you're okay. There is no such thing as 4X3. If both front wheels aren't driving, it is the same as 2WD. Plus from what I read above, you had the transfer case in 2HI - that alone would be enough to prevent any damage.

To get that "driveline windup" effect, the front driveshaft must be engaged (at the transfer case), both front hubs need to be locked and the front wheels must be turned to a certain point. The harder the turn, the worse the rpm differential between the two front tires...and thus the more violent the windup.

Last edited:

HuskerFan

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
454 Big Block
Sounds about like the issue i was having-i'll have to go back and look. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade