Steering rebuild question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LAsquarebody

Reaction score
First Name
Saxon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500
Engine Size
crate 350
Tons of slack in the wheel and when I checked the tie rods everything seemed to be original. Time to replace it all. Lol. I’ve found a few different options for parts but I come away with wildly different prices.

Moog’s site has a kit but it only lists 5 parts and is upwards of $450. Tie rods, tie rod adjusting sleeve, and the upper and lower ball joint. It also has an option for 7/8’s size or a 1” tie rod ends which if anyone knows the correct size for an 84 gmc k15 single cab 4wd I’m all ears. I was planning on just slipping a socket over the tie rod and seeing which size married but was advised against this by a buddy of mine so I figured I’d ask the boys in here.

Moons link to the kit

But there’s other kits online that are waaaaaay cheaper for the 60 - 90 dollar range. Seems what moog is referring to as a tie rod adjustment sleeve I have been calling the drag link and that piece is missing from these cheaper kits. Might piece it together myself and try saving a few hundred but also weary about the prospects of that becoming a disaster.

Gunna pull the old goat off the road next week and dial in this and a few other little touch ups just to set her up for summer but if anyone has any suggestions prior to that about this steering job I’m all ears.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I used Moog exclusively in my shop when I still had it, but there are less expensive places to buy Moog than THAT site. I think Oreillys lists Moog and possibly Rock Auto. Google Moog distributors and see what comes up. See Autozone and Advance also

Steppin Razor

Reaction score
First Name
S
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 silverado
Engine Size
Steering play on mine is adjusted on the back of the gearbox, before install. The adjuster on the other end for the pitman arm adjusts how hard the wheel is to turn, but doesn't adjust play.

creich68

Reaction score
First Name
Clay
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Burban
Engine Size
I just replaced the drag links, tie rod ends, and both adjusting sleeves on my Suburban. My drag links/sleeve was 7/8" diameter and the tie rods/sleeves were 1" diameter. Keep in mind this was on a 91 Suburban 4WD so I'm not if that would apply to your K15.

I spent countless hours researching all of the brands sold online and various parts stores. I ended up going with Moog Problem Solvers for everything and buying through Amazon (total cost was ~$170 for everything). Cheapest price and free shipping (cheaper than some of the China equivalents at many of the local parts stores). Rock Auto was comparable on price for Moog, but the shipping costs added up quick. Especially for the driver tie rod that is 52" in length overall.

Pretty easy to install and took to an alignment shop afterwards to set the toe. I was happy to see that the drag link ends and tie rods were Made in USA on the boxes (the adjustment sleeves were Made in China). I've been happy with the components so far but haven't but that many miles on them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod