Brake issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Hello everyone. Im having an issue with my left tear drum brake. I teplaced all the hardware including wheel cylinders last week. Now every once in awhile the LR locks up, but not every time. I also had a hard time getting the drum off even after loosening the adjuster. Am I missing something when I put it all back together? The only thing I see is the Blue spring on the spreader bar: the small loop is behind the shoe instead of in front. Not sure if that will affect it. Ride points for the pads were greased, and adjuster was cleaned and oiled. Heres some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_5946.jpeg
    IMG_5946.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5948.jpeg
    IMG_5948.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5950.jpeg
    IMG_5950.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5949.jpeg
    IMG_5949.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 51

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Did you check emergency brake cable, should move free. Nothing in those pictures sticks out as being wrong. Should bend the hook on the blue upper spring a bit more.

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Closed the top of the blue spring a bit more. E Brake cable is loose and free

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
Hello everyone. Im having an issue with my left tear drum brake. I teplaced all the hardware including wheel cylinders last week. Now every once in awhile the LR locks up, but not every time. I also had a hard time getting the drum off even after loosening the adjuster. Am I missing something when I put it all back together? The only thing I see is the Blue spring on the spreader bar: the small loop is behind the shoe instead of in front. Not sure if that will affect it. Ride points for the pads were greased, and adjuster was cleaned and oiled. Heres some pics.
That blue spring that holds the adj. and shoes together at bottom,, I always put the coils of the spring over the star part of the adj. In you pic there dosen't look to be any part of the spring to keep the Adj from move tighter or loser. But i think if it was moving it would lock up the wheel and stay locked..

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Im wondering How much distance between the drum and the shoe, Are the loose going on? Does the drum have a rudge? Maybe compare with other side to see if there's something ascu

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
Closed the top of the blue spring a bit more. E Brake cable is loose and free
Did You put the shoes back on the way they came off?? there is a front shoe and rear shoe for same wheel one has more lining

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
The backing plates have raised pads where the brake shoe rests. On high mileage units these pads get worn with a notch that matches the metal part of the brake shoe. New brake shoes with thicker lining will sometimes apply and get locked in that worn notch. This can lock the wheel.

The fix is to file the mounting pads smooth. If they are worn thin, they can be filled with weld and then filed flat.

Remove the shoes and see if there is a deep notch worn in the backing plate where the shoe sits.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
One more note, if you are using a corkscrew style return spring removing tool, always start the tool on the inside of the return spring loop. This will prevent bending the spring loop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1