Sluggish starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Dave's been workin on Fords too much lately :rofl:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Are you getting power to anything at all like the cigarette lighter? See if you are getting power to things that don't require the key on. Then see if things are getting power that require the key to be on. This could tell if in the ignition switch is junk. Also, are you sure your rod in the igntion switch is not bent? Has the switch loosened up on the steering column and maybe slid down to where the rod isn't engaging the start mode???

GM put the starter solenoid on the starter, not on the fender well or firewall like Ford does.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Could be a bad battery, starter pinion jammed in the flywheel ring gear, automatic transmission not completely in park and ignition switch. If your wipers and headlights dont come on then its a bad battery.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If its automatic, yes it could be N Park safety switch. Try to put in in N and see if that works. You might jockey the shifter around a bit in N. Sometimes the P N switch can come out of adjustment.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
It was the wiring to the starter that was effed up after all. I had got the ground strap on the terminal in such a way that it couldn't make good contact on the starter body. Soooo no ground=no power! re-wired it properly (removing more skin from my knuckles in the process) and the 85 is alive once more! Now I still need to do something about the ittsy-bittsy clearance between the header and the starter before I fry another one but hell. I seriously think I need much better quality headers.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I need clip on starter shield for my new starter.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Yeah, I need some of the Thermo-tec wrap, I don't have enough clearance for a clip on shield. The real solution to my problem is going to be a better set of headers. I'm looking at the Hedman Elites and the Dougs, both of which are hella expensive, but you do get what you pay for...

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You get a pair of Tri-Y's and I'm gonna cry a little, cause I can't afford em lol.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Don't spend big bucks on a coated steel header, get a stainless unit so that it'll last. The coating they use on those headers is garbage. Any little chip or void in the coating, shipping or installation process and you'll end up with a shiny header that has rust spots on it.

Headman sells a full stainless header. You won't be able to search for it on Summit's website since they don't list all the information for them in their system yet. Go to headman.com and search there for the part number you need, then cross reference that to Summit. I think you'll find their non-coated stainless headers are in the same price range as their coated-steel headers.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Thanks Fish, I was thinking stainless when I typed that. I have a DC Sports ceramic coated header on my DD and it has been great, but the truck is a whole other kettle of fish! Get ready to cry C4 my friend because I'm saving my money! I got an el-cheapo heat blanket type shield from Advance but it says right inside the package that it needs at least 2" of space to be most effective. So it'll be burned off in a weekend LOL

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I always wondered with all the off roading and water a starter may see on a truck like yours, you are not worried about that **** getting stuck inside the blanket and corroding anything? Just wondering hoss...

I usually hose everything off when I get it home, including back into the starter blanket. It's really been a non-issue for so long I just don't think about it. Yet another great reason to keep the SM465, I can bump-start it if the starter dies lol.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Thanks Fish, I was thinking stainless when I typed that. I have a DC Sports ceramic coated header on my DD and it has been great, but the truck is a whole other kettle of fish! Get ready to cry C4 my friend because I'm saving my money! I got an el-cheapo heat blanket type shield from Advance but it says right inside the package that it needs at least 2" of space to be most effective. So it'll be burned off in a weekend LOL

If it's more than 2" away, would I even be buying a heat shield???? That's like buying a lawn mower, then reading in the manual "Not to be used in grass over 3" tall". :wtf:

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Mine might have an inch of clearance. Main reason I got one on mine was to protect the battery cable and the solenoid, which was the closest thing to the headers so I needed something. I think it will be fine with the heat blanket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade