Sluggish starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Since you guys bring up battery terminal checks, I don;t like htat side post ****, it seems to strip out too easy. Anybody convert thiers or mod them for a more secure connection?

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I converted a different vehicle I owned to top post, it's not hard at all to do. Parts stores usually carry replacement battery cables in different lengths, just buy a positive and negative top post style cable in the length you need, then get a replacement top post style battery. I don't recommend running the side post to top post adapters that they sell. Too many headaches with the extra connection (battery to adapter, adapter to cable).

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Buy one those combo batteries that both top and side post connections.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Gear reduction starters are for vehicles without overdrive. If you have overdrive then you need direct drive starter but its not must have.

that's the most ridiculous thing i've ever read.

check the condition of your battery cables too. my 80 for the longest time would get hot, then not refire. finally found the culprit... exhaust melted the coating off of the cable where i couldn't see it. replaced the cable, and never had another problem.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thats what pepboys said on difference between the direct drive and mpgr starters.

Go Figure. Minimum Wage parts counter help. Trans type has nothing to do with starter type. That's almost as ridiculous as if you have cruise control you must use synthetic motor oil. Tighter spec motors tend to use gear reducted starters. Hi Compression motors tend to use hi torque gear reducted starters. Dodge has used gear reduction starters forever that I am aware of.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Go Figure. Minimum Wage parts counter help. Trans type has nothing to do with starter type. That's almost as ridiculous as if you have cruise control you must use synthetic motor oil. Tighter spec motors tend to use gear reducted starters. Hi Compression motors tend to use hi torque gear reducted starters. Dodge has used gear reduction starters forever that I am aware of.

Its was a female too.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
i'm not sure which is worse, that she said it, or that you believed it and repeated it.

A year ago I was asking around on what the difference was on the direct drive and gear reduction starters. Nobody knew on TMC.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have a tube of muffler grease I'll sell you cheap Dave. You know those muffler bearings need maintained too.
The difference between the 2 is exactly in the name. The direct drive is direct driven, the gear reduction starter is gear reductucted. Simple as that.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I thought I'd luck out on my starter problem. I took it off, its a lifetime warranty Duralast starter. Part # and Duralast sticker still on it. AZ won't warranty it though cuz the part doesn't match my phone #. I've got a chick friend that works for AZ at another location several miles from me. I've got a message into her to see if she can get me hooked up. Until then, I guess I'm going to install this starter off one of the wee o five motors that came out of one of the trucks I parted out.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Well, I WAS highly interested in using the starter meant for the 03 HD 2500 until I had my buddy at Advance look up the price for me. 118 Bucks is awful dear for an experiment IMO. Think I'll just go with the Jegs one instead.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well, I WAS highly interested in using the starter meant for the 03 HD 2500 until I had my buddy at Advance look up the price for me. 118 Bucks is awful dear for an experiment IMO. Think I'll just go with the Jegs one instead.

It's your call bud, but even at $118 I don't think it's that bad a deal. I'm betting that the Jegs Prostarter unit is the same exact starter with the exception of the Jegs sticker. :shrug:

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Since you guys bring up battery terminal checks, I don;t like htat side post ****, it seems to strip out too easy. Anybody convert thiers or mod them for a more secure connection?

I'm with you 89S. I've never owned anything w/side posts, but seems like everytime I go help someone do something battery related, it's friggin side posts and they're stripped. I hate 'em. There's no advantage whatsoever. I say :flipthebird: to side posts!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I'm with you 89S. I've never owned anything w/side posts, but seems like everytime I go help someone do something battery related, it's friggin side posts and they're stripped. I hate 'em. There's no advantage whatsoever. I say :flipthebird: to side posts!
The stock bolts on those cables seem way too short. You can get a regular bolt to thread in about twice as far until it hits the end and bottoms out. 5/16-18 thread bolt with a chaser nut on it to tighten down against the cable end itself. Next time I mess with mine I will be doing that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamberttt