Sluggish starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
dhamp, I had that very same thought when I read it. I really do hope this will help for the short term until I can do something else with the headers. I can't be spending any money right now though, closing on the new house in less than a week.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Awwww man! Congrats on the house, and good luck with the closing! :High 5:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
dhamp, I had that very same thought when I read it. I really do hope this will help for the short term until I can do something else with the headers. I can't be spending any money right now though, closing on the new house in less than a week.

Good Job on the hold out 85. Many are not aware of that, but when you have a home buying purchase, and I only say this to educate others, not to speak to you since you obviously know, but you don't want to spend to much money out of your accounts, or god for bid, DO NOT create any debt, charge up credit cards or apply for more credit. Normally another credit report is pulled the day before or day of closing.
When I was a RE agent, which I still am, just been inactive for several years, I've heard stories from other agents who didn't tell their buyers. Get all ready for closing in about 30 days or so. The buyers being approved for their loan and all in order, decide its time for a new vehicle too. So they buy that new vehicle. Day of closing they are asked about the 15 inquiries on their credit that dropped the credit score, and then the new car payment that is only $100 more a month than the previous car payment, now with lower credit score and the new debt to income ratio on the day of closing, they didn't qualify and loan went bad and they lost approval. Guess what? They didn't get a new house afterall. So I tell everyone that tidbit just incase their RE agents don't. Good luck with it. I bet the anxiety is killing you. I've been there twice. Such a good feeling, but its still stressful as hell until you get the keys to the place.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Thanks HRPC, yep we have been watching every dime for almost three months now. What with the first two houses falling through roughly three weeks shy of closing. The first one had too many problems for the underwriters of the PMI to sign off on. The second one had a deed restriction WE couldn't live with. So it looks like third time lucky! The only new vehicle i need right now is a lawn mower and I'm getting to be an expert browser of CL for those. I'm going out of town this weekend but I'll put some pics of the new place up after we are all moved in....
And to keep this thread within a mile of on topic, the heat blanket seems to have helped the starting situation by a lot, much to my surprise. She will start after medium length drives without complaint now. So that should get us through the moving process at least.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Long story made short and hopefully entertaining. Truck still no start, stranded me at the new house on the big day, said F U to the square for the week, nearly killed myself moving in the hottest weather of the last two years, put new starter on truck three times before it was right, NOW she starts! Headlight switch is all the way dead now, but it appears to be the cause of my long-standing voltage leak problem, it has been ready to **** the bed for almost as long as I have owned the truck and it explains all my issues with the batteries dying.... Pics of the new house to come in the appropriate thread.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Glad you got it finally figured out.

Last edited by a moderator:

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I lost everything connected to the headlight switch all at once. Then the battery started dying on me. Thought it might have been the alternator, but she holds steady voltage with the engine running. The headlights have always been crap on this truck since day one. I installed the LMC HD relay kit and saw next to no improvement, so I have sort of deduced that the headlight switch has been the weak link all along...

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
solenoid kicks the bendix-starter motor turns the motor..some gm starters.when they get some age..they exspand..from the heat and want turn..never buy rebuilt..buy new...it is pay now or pay later..the headers.should not be a problem.for a good starter..they sit right next to the engine..running what temps..the headers..are out away from the engine..air is around them.starter only needs..seconds..to start the motor..racing engines..that make tons of heat.there starters need to be wrapped.what temp is your motor running at.i run 160 stats..

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Thats a good point man, I run a 160 stat as well, overheating has never been an issue with the new engine. The PO had monkeyed with the timing on the old engine and had issues so he got a big block radiator instead of fixing the timing (go figure right?) The current starter works just fine, the bottom line is that the wiring of my truck needs to be completely redone, top to bottom. Between the ravages of time and previous owners and the hack-jobs I have done to keep it working she is in sad shape and the only way to fix all that is to start fresh. I'll just be damned if I feel like wading into it LOL

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thats a good point man, I run a 160 stat as well, overheating has never been an issue with the new engine. The PO had monkeyed with the timing on the old engine and had issues so he got a big block radiator instead of fixing the timing (go figure right?) The current starter works just fine, the bottom line is that the wiring of my truck needs to be completely redone, top to bottom. Between the ravages of time and previous owners and the hack-jobs I have done to keep it working she is in sad shape and the only way to fix all that is to start fresh. I'll just be damned if I feel like wading into it LOL

Maybe you can get by with just a new underhood harness for the motor components, like starter, alt, AC, guages etc. There are also some nice aftermarket smaller high torque starters that stand up to the heat much better being in an aluminum housing that discipates heat better. Quite pricey though. I need to get a pic of it. When I swapped the starter in my 454, there was a clamp on to the solenoid heat shield. I'd never seen one on a GM motor like this before.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
:roflbow: I got your back dhamp. Our little secret. :handshake:

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Ugh I need to pick up a new starter and a heat shield

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Actually in some cases you can do away with the heat shield. Those exhuast manifold hold heat to good. If you're now running headers, and they run away from the block, where manifolds hug the block, you not only have more distance for the starter to breathe and cool off, but the thin walled heades discipate heat much quicker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade