skid plate for my 74

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
It's a truck shaped like a brick.... How much do you think a tray underneath is going to really help airflow?
Just purely out of curiosity. May have to try a flow simulation of that one day.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I'd be interested to know. I wasn't meaning to be a smart aleck. If you look at the new trucks they have obviously gone back to the brick aspect, and not only that then they put block off plates in the front grill. I have not looked at one of the newer trucks to see what kind of tray they have under the engines but I know on my Nissan Frontier it has a whole plastic piece that does what you are talking about. I figure if you had the ability to adapt or make a ABS sheild that would probably be better than making one out of metal, unless you are talking about really light gauge aluminum (which ABS will still be lighter and easier to shape with a heat gun). Just my .02$ and thoughts

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I'd be interested to know. I wasn't meaning to be a smart aleck. If you look at the new trucks they have obviously gone back to the brick aspect, and not only that then they put block off plates in the front grill. I have not looked at one of the newer trucks to see what kind of tray they have under the engines but I know on my Nissan Frontier it has a whole plastic piece that does what you are talking about. I figure if you had the ability to adapt or make a ABS sheild that would probably be better than making one out of metal, unless you are talking about really light gauge aluminum (which ABS will still be lighter and easier to shape with a heat gun). Just my .02$ and thoughts
I know the air dams on the gmt400's are typically good for 1-2mpg. Just helps keep air out from under the vehicle instead of going the full belly pan.

Race cars have adopted the same thing to reduce drag.

Would it do a whole lot for our trucks? Probably not. It'd be like polishing the bottom of a brick and expecting it to do a whole lot.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Nah. Youse has to dimples it likes a goff ball to reduce the air drag. Kaint b flat.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Nah. Youse has to dimples it likes a goff ball to reduce the air drag. Kaint b flat.
Nahhh that just reduces it too much. Can't have that.