Shackle bolt woes....any tips on getting them out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghetto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.1 6 Banger
Got some stubborn shackle bolts that won't budge. After searching the web the only things I have seen that will work are torching them out or sawzall. Anyone on here have any other options/tips/tricks?? Thanks

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Will the shackle bolts turn? Or you just cant get them out? If they are turning, try relieving the pressure off of the springs by jacking up the frame. Soaking them with Pb blaster or whatever you prefer helps of course.

An air hammer is a great investment, and of course you cant replace a BFH lol, but you probably cant get a good swing at it so the air hammer could work.

Instead of just straight torching it out you could heat it up with the torch, then use the air hammer or BFH, that helps but be ready for the bushings to start on fire and start melting.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Cut the heads off as close as possible. Then stack washers on the nut side and use the nut to pull the shank through.

You'll need a few washers or a few thick ones and use a impact. Its how I got all my bolts out when I did my shackle flip

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Cut the heads off as close as possible. Then stack washers on the nut side and use the nut to pull the shank through.

You'll need a few washers or a few thick ones and use a impact. Its how I got all my bolts out when I did my shackle flip

This^. And use some grease or antisieze on the threads

Ghetto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
4.1 6 Banger
We have gotten one out and replaced with a new bolt and nut for now. The other side isn't budging. Not turning at all. We have an air hammer, soaked with PB blast for weeks, impact gun....nothing has worked yet. I want to lower this truck so bad!!!!

perolli

Reaction score
First Name
rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
c25
Engine Size
When I couldn't break the bolts free on my old jeep, I cut the head of the bolt and the nut off. Then take a punch and send the rest through. Only works if the bolt isn't threaded the whole way from head to tip I find.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Propane torch, heat it up. You don't necessarily have to cut them out with a cutting torch but get them hot enough and the rubber will begin to melt and loosen up. But you HAVE to try to pull it out hot. When the melted rubber cools it will lock down on it again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
92 X-Ray