Rough running, then no start after head gasket swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
I dropped my 6.0 right onto my ankle lol.
OUCH!!! bet that leaves a mark.... Been there -- (almost) done that... I was building an engine on one of those cheap-ass 3 wheel engine stands.. I was pulling it across the floor when a wheel snagged on something.. Over she went with me scrambling to get out of the way... It came so close to hitting my ankle that it snagged my sneaker and yanked it right off my foot.. Crushed the shoe and punched a triangular hole right through the top.. It never touched me but it came close..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I snapped a crank in an engine once. Dropped it from about 4.5 feet in the air off of a 4x6 I had propped up in the garage and hanging from a Come-A-Long. Had the transmission attached too. When I swung the trans around and out of the car, the 4x6 stringer that I had propped up on 2 4x4 posts, twisted and brought one of the 4x4 posts down along with the 4x6 that the Come-A-Long was attached to. Yeah, real lucky it went over my back and behind me to the concrete floor as it swung instead of straight down or I'da been a dead dude. My buddy and I were real happy all we had was a snapped crank, broken tailshaft on the trans and 2 smashed oil pans.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Oh crap. Off of a stand?

Off the back of my truck lol. I'm 6'5, 280 lbs so I can handle a fair bit of weight, but the chain was too long, so i was balancing it while my tiny as 5'4 140 lb neighbor was supposed to pull the cherry picker back, he dropped the wheel in a hole and over she went.

It swelled up pretty good and has a little mark, it wasn't like full on pow! But it still sucked lol. My neighbor literally ran away, so I musty have looked mad lol.

Last edited:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Off the back of my truck lol. I'm 6'5, 280 lbs so I can handle a fair bit of weight, but the chain was too long, so i was balancing it while my tiny as 5'4 140 lb neighbor was supposed to pull the cherry picker back, he dropped the wheel in a hole and over she went.

It sweeled up pretty good and has a little mark, it was like full on pow! But it still sucked lol. My neighbor literally ran away, so I musty have looked mad lol.
Lmao that’s a funny mental pic the lil guy running away that is.....

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
At least it didnt break your ankle.

Well back on topic, I got my timing light in and when I pulled the est it was a few degrees BTDC so I zeroed her out and no rough running or sputtering now and idles real smooth. Seems to be good to go except now its overheating and sometimes theres a slight hesitation when giving her gas at idle. Upper hose is cold to the touch so Im gonna check my belt routing once I get my hands and feet back up to temp.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407

Well back on topic, I got my timing light in and when I pulled the est it was a few degrees BTDC so I zeroed her out and no rough running or sputtering now and idles real smooth. Seems to be good to go except now its overheating and sometimes theres a slight hesitation when giving her gas at idle. Upper hose is cold to the touch so Im gonna check my belt routing once I get my hands and feet back up to temp.
Did you replace the thermostat?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

If your upper hose is cold give yur thermostat a look.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Belt routing is good, thermo is lazy. Gets up over 210 then opens. Gonna order a new one, again. Almost there!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
terminator