Rough running, then no start after head gasket swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Or a cracked head maybe. This may sound ****** but not intended to.....I have a nice set of World heads for cheap. I hope it isn’t that but all depends how bad it was overheated and for how long it was run after the gasket blew.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Time will tell at this point. I'll have an update later from the dark depths of my back yard after I check a few vacuum lines and harness, that ecm fuse, and the plugs. My timing light has a bad bulb so I have to get my hands on one and see if its in time after I get it running again.

Another member on here that's a little closer to me has a set of rebuilt heads that I might take up on should I need them (hopefully not). Are those world heads tbi friendly?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Time will tell at this point. I'll have an update later from the dark depths of my back yard after I check a few vacuum lines and harness, that ecm fuse, and the plugs. My timing light has a bad bulb so I have to get my hands on one and see if its in time after I get it running again.

Another member on here that's a little closer to me has a set of rebuilt heads that I might take up on should I need them (hopefully not). Are those world heads tbi friendly?
That TBI intake has bolts at a goofy angle don’t they? They are 76cc chambers with 1.94” valves they are S/R heads

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
That TBI intake has bolts at a goofy angle don’t they? They are 76cc chambers with 1.94” valves they are S/R heads

The center two are straight up and down, grinder to the intake will clearance them.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
The center two are straight up and down, grinder to the intake will clearance them.
Ok I thought there was something weird with them I know Vortec stuff is way different ( I put Vortecs on my S10)

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Correct, Vortec requires a completely different intake.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Update

I pulled the 4 plugs on the pass side,the side with the previously busted head gasket. And found 3 of the 4 to be firing nicely. Cylinder 8 which was where the break in the gasket was is oil fouled. I cleaned it up and reinstalled it. I also gave the distributor a little advance in timing and it fired right up. I shut it off after about a minute. I didnt have much time as I had somewhere to go so Ill explore more tomorrow when I have the timing light.

Any thoughts on this?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Update

I pulled the 4 plugs on the pass side,the side with the previously busted head gasket. And found 3 of the 4 to be firing nicely. Cylinder 8 which was where the break in the gasket was is oil fouled. I cleaned it up and reinstalled it. I also gave the distributor a little advance in timing and it fired right up. I shut it off after about a minute. I didnt have much time as I had somewhere to go so Ill explore more tomorrow when I have the timing light.

Any thoughts on this?
Broken ring, bad valve seal?

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Im thinkin maybe i didnt set rocker properly so the valve is lettin in some oil from the valvetrain. Hopefully its that and not a ring although that was the cylinder that was full of coolant. When I pulled the old plug it wasnt oil fouled, it was nasty from the coolant though.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Im thinkin maybe i didnt set rocker properly so the valve is lettin in some oil from the valvetrain. Hopefully its that and not a ring although that was the cylinder that was full of coolant. When I pulled the old plug it wasnt oil fouled, it was nasty from the coolant though.
3 ways oil can get in a specific cylinder rings, head gasket or valve seal

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
I had the same issue when I replaced the heads on my Yukon. I had over adjusted the rockers. I loosened them up a bit and fired right up and stayed running.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I had the same issue when I replaced the heads on my Yukon. I had over adjusted the rockers. I loosened them up a bit and fired right up and stayed running.
Haven’t seen you on in awhile

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I know how to bring em out of the woodwork haha. So working in the dark last night was a pain so its gonna wait until the weekend but I'm going to adjust my rockers again. Tonight I'll use the dark to my advantage and check the timing.

henrym

Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Truck Year
81/84
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
check for a grounded/melted wire, since this didn't happen until it got to operating temp (hot). You may have a wire too close to the engine or exhaust, and a wire resting against it may have melted.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Misadjusted valve lash won't cause oil to get in a cylinder.. Adjusted to loose and they make noise.. Way too loose and something might break.. Adjusted too tight and the engine will exhibit the symptoms of a burned valve -- engine miss associated with that cylinder -- low or no compression -- popping back through the carburetor -- etc...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJinAZ