Rough running, then no start after head gasket swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Update

I pulled the 4 plugs on the pass side,the side with the previously busted head gasket. And found 3 of the 4 to be firing nicely. Cylinder 8 which was where the break in the gasket was is oil fouled. I cleaned it up and reinstalled it. I also gave the distributor a little advance in timing and it fired right up. I shut it off after about a minute. I didnt have much time as I had somewhere to go so Ill explore more tomorrow when I have the timing light.

Any thoughts on this?
Yep.. Before you go back through all that valve lash adjusting, check the timing with a light. I quoted you in this post. Read the part in bold, it's a clue to what happened. It's very possible that when you initially reassembled the engine, you didn't tighten the distributor hold down bolt tight enough.. The distributor drives the oil pump and the force is enough to actually rotate the distributor if it's not clamped down good enough.. You could be looking at an engine that won't run simply because the timing is severely retarded..

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Misadjusted valve lash won't cause oil to get in a cylinder.. Adjusted to loose and they make noise.. Way too loose and something might break.. Adjusted too tight and the engine will exhibit the symptoms of a burned valve -- engine miss associated with that cylinder -- low or no compression -- popping back through the carburetor -- etc...

Gotcha, it was probably an issue that was masked due to the break in the head gasket over that cylinder. I'm not awful worried about that for now. I'm going to get her running and build a 350 up in my basement.

Yep.. Before you go back through all that valve lash adjusting, check the timing with a light. I quoted you in this post. Read the part in bold, it's a clue to what happened. It's very possible that when you initially reassembled the engine, you didn't tighten the distributor hold down bolt tight enough.. The distributor drives the oil pump and the force is enough to actually rotate the distributor if it's not clamped down good enough.. You could be looking at an engine that won't run simply because the timing is severely retarded..

Thanks for the heads up, you may be on to something there as I was able to advance the distributor without loosening the hold down, yes it was a little resistant but it turned.

I'm eager to get home and get her timed right and see what the verdict is. At that point I'll attempt a shakedown run and see how she holds up.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Rain, an unforseen issue with my truck, and the local election didnt allow me to work on it. I'm just gonna have to wait till the weekend. Not having a garage really sucks, kids!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Rain, an unforseen issue with my truck, and the local election didnt allow me to work on it. I'm just gonna have to wait till the weekend. Not having a garage really sucks, kids!
I know all about that one!!

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow

Agreed, everything I do happens in the driveway also lol.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You're going to build a 350 in your basement? Maybe you're basement is different than what I'm used to, but the basements I've seen have long narrow stairs to get down in them. My question is, how the hell do you get a completely built engine out of the basement?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Agreed, everything I do happens in the driveway also lol.
Mine happens in the parking lot behind our apartment lol its fun doin a mottor and tranny swap in a public parkin lot

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I used to do my motor and trans swaps in the street in front of the house.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Mine happens in the parking lot behind our apartment lol its fun doin a mottor and tranny swap in a public parkin lot

I've been there, had to wrap it up over a weekend before the office manager came back lol.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
You're going to build a 350 in your basement? Maybe you're basement is different than what I'm used to, but the basements I've seen have long narrow stairs to get down in them. My question is, how the hell do you get a completely built engine out of the basement?
Iv'e done that before, built the short block, did pre-assembly fitting on the top end to check everything, pulled top end back off and carefully carted short block up the stairs with a dolly that has the little rubber tracks on the back for going up stairs. Once I got it upstairs, hauled it to the driveway and made my chiropractor happy by putting the damn thing on the stand by myself...evidently drinking crown royal while working causes excess amounts of stupidity, lol.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
My basement has a ground level entrance, it was also dug out at some point to make it have 9-10' ceilings. Its basically a workshop, so not having a garage isnt ALL bad. At least I can pull the cars up to the basement door and work.

A 350 fits in my basement like a hotdog down a hallway.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I dropped my 6.0 right onto my ankle lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat