review: GM Performance 3 Ton Garage Jack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I'll add. One jack to avoid, is the HF Aluminum 2 ton Jack. I love that jack for what it is, but hate it for being a *****. It works on compact cars very well, but the second you try to lift a Square with it, you'll have jack oil going everywhere. It flat ass won't lift nothing but a compact car without leaking jack oil past the seals, and I do mean alot of jack oil as in a puddle, not just seepage. I like it for the quick lift / pump ratio, and the light weight. I think its actually lighter than my 5 ton bottle Jack I keep in the Box Van. I'd just avoid it unless you are buying for compact cars.

I dont buy my tools from harbor freight. I buy from northern tool.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
close enough to the same brand/quality.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think we already all agreed, not all the HF or like places to purchase tools are the best. Some of its not even worth the cheap price you'd pay for it, but then again, there is alot of it that is cheap and good enough. If I can save some money on the tools that quality doesn't matter, then that's more money for parts for the truck the way I see it. Example, if that 3 ton China made jack is $59 on sale at HF and I can use my HF 20% off coupon and get it for $47, and the Crapsam 3 ton is also made in China for $100, then guess which one I am buying. I've got one of those cheap 3 ton China jacks that I bought over 25 years ago. I have had to add jack oil once, and it does have a tendancy to leak down an inch an hour or so, but that's where the jack stands come in. Who knows that jack leaking down probably saved my life a time a 2. Being stupid, I used to not use jack stands, but knowing my jack leaks down, I use the stands now that I got pinned under a car once by this jack leaking down.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
everywhere anymore has cheap tools. Just as you said craftsman and chinese BS, autozone, advance, wal-mart, fingerhut, HF, northern, all have cheap tools. It's just a normal thing anymore a name means basically nothing. I've bought cheap stuff and expensive stuff from fingerhut, bought a generator that leaked gas out the carb faster then you could put it in, brand new, sent back got another, same problem. Got a flux cored welder, works great. Got a $20 cut off tool from wal-mart works great. Got a cheap devilbiss paint gun from lowes for $50 I've done I don't know how many paint or primer jobs with it.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
everywhere anymore has cheap tools. Just as you said craftsman and chinese BS, autozone, advance, wal-mart, fingerhut, HF, northern, all have cheap tools. It's just a normal thing anymore a name means basically nothing. I've bought cheap stuff and expensive stuff from fingerhut, bought a generator that leaked gas out the carb faster then you could put it in, brand new, sent back got another, same problem. Got a flux cored welder, works great. Got a $20 cut off tool from wal-mart works great. Got a cheap devilbiss paint gun from lowes for $50 I've done I don't know how many paint or primer jobs with it.

Champion makes good generators. I wouldn't put northern in the same class as HF. Northern tools look to have better quality than HF.

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd trust many 2 ton jacks to lift any truck or suv...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd trust many 2 ton jacks to lift any truck or suv...

Technically speaking, you'd think it could. If the whole truck weighs 4200 lbs, which is 2 tons and 200lbs, and all you want to lift is a rear tire, which is the wheel, 1/2 half the rear end, and a portioin of the lightest part of the truck, that is could do it. Not even. Won't even get the tire off the ground and its already spewing oil out of it. I'd call more of a 1 ton jack.

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I am going to use mine to hcnage the oil on my S-10 primarily, so I'm not too worried about weight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DucatiDave