Returning to my past

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I had a 1983 4x4 when I was 16 years old but never really appreciated it because always had problems and never had the money to make it run correctly.

So 25 years later I now have returned to repair one the way I want. The internet and parts supply makes it so much easier. Plus I live near a junkyard that has so many of them sitting there. I have stripped many a part already.

Here is my crazy plan. I bought the truck in Three Hills, Alberta for $6,500 USD and then brought it back to my home province to safety. The truck has no rust and the mechanical was in good shape. Just needed some cleanup of vacuum and wiring problems. I have now got the truck registered and am just adding a few things in my home shop before I travel to the USA. I added old school glass packs, re-sealed the top end of the motor and added $1,200 worth of stereo equipment.

I plan to travel through the states and end up in Texas or California. I am calling it a restoration vacation. I plan to change the motor into a 383, put on a new front end, a rear four link, air bags and various other components. Once the major work is complete, I am traveling to Tijuana to tear the truck apart and paint everything. Have a shop that will give me space and workers to complete a full restoration in 4 to 6 weeks time.

What I am hoping to find, within this forum, is recommendations on a quality motor rebuilder as well as places I can buy quality parts for reasonable prices. Also, I am looking for some shop space to complete some of the repair work as I receive the parts. The point is, I want to be involved in my repairs so I need some work space and maybe a little help but for the most part I have my own tools and want to complete/oversee the work so it comes out exactly as I want.

My trip starts North of Plentywood, Montana and will likely end in Austin, Texas depending on recommendations and the wind.

To make this story even more crazy, my Colombian wife will be with me as she loves to work on trucks. We are going to repair this truck together and then drive it to our house in Panama. Basically it is a minimum of 5000 miles from where I am now until I get to Panama but probably will be more with several side tracks.

As for the truck. I bought it in it's current condition and it is a collection of different trucks. The cab and fenders are from a 1987 6.2 diesel truck but the frame is from the late 70's. It has a 12 bolt posi rearend and it has been lowered several inches. It has a 1975 350 Chevy in it with a turbo 400 tranny. Full Hooker exhaust system and a Edlebrock fuel system and intake. The motor and tranny have been built well but neglected. I am getting that ready before I leave.

So long story short, big trip, fix lots, need advice. I will post some pictures as it is a nice looking truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Nice truck and cool story! California is expensive and full of weirdos. I was born and raised here in red counties, but the blues have ruined this state. If you're considering CA or TX, go with TX for sure.

I went back my past as well with my '65 Crusty Biscuit. I know these trucks inside and out and have two extras for spare parts.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Don't get me wrong, I love the mountains and outdoors of this state. There are so many beautiful places to visit here. But the politicians are steering this state in the WRONG direction. Many are leaving as quickly as they can. I've wanted out since 2005, but the economy tanked, I have a great job, and now retirement is closer so I have decided to stick it out, but as soon we can leave we will be exiting this state.

donnieray

Talks to dogs and trucks.
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
86 C10, 84 K10 MM7 NP833 option truck, 85 K10.
Engine Size
350,355;350.
Great plans. I look forward to following you on here. Im in NC though so about all I can do is encourage you. Good luck.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Drive to summit racing store and swap motor/transmission in their parking lot. They would have all the parts needed on the shelf. Or would have to find a shop to rent a bay from

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Drive to summit racing store and swap motor/transmission in their parking lot. They would have all the parts needed on the shelf. Or would have to find a shop to rent a bay from

I didn't know you could do that there. Pull in with 10k in pocket, leave with a fresh power plant and any other goodies you choose to swap on in the process.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Nice ride, awesome story. Howd you manage to drag a Colombian so far away from warmth lol. My family is Dominican and whenever my mom comes to visit in PA she's freezing!

You should video your story as it progresses. People love watching that sorta stuff on youtube.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Where's the house in Panama? Phew, I've been all over that place. My parents own 35 hectares of farmland each in the Chiriqui province, and my roommate is from Panama City. I've been three times, and I'm probably going this summer. My mom lived in David and the Canal Zone when it was still American quite a long time ago, and I have a 97 year old granny there.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Don't get me wrong, I love the mountains and outdoors of this state. There are so many beautiful places to visit here. But the politicians are steering this state in the WRONG direction. Many are leaving as quickly as they can. I've wanted out since 2005, but the economy tanked, I have a great job, and now retirement is closer so I have decided to stick it out, but as soon we can leave we will be exiting this state.

I'm glad for you. I wish all the good people would get out of there yesterday. My old man started traveling there to work in 1947 and moved permanently in around 1957. He came back to Mississippi in 1984. He thought it was too expensive and bureaucratic then and thought it was too fruity back in the 60s. I've got a half brother in CA who's thinking about retiring in MS, and I hope he does. I think a lot of the level headed people are disillusioned with the state.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
First buy a tonneau cover for the truck, it will keep your tools, supplies etc dry when you get caught in the rain or snow. If you are serious about doing something like this you need to find places that will rent you bays in their shop and either have parts pre delivered there or in the truck when you roll in. The is a place like this that was on TV called the dog house http://www.kulturedcustoms.com/dog-house/ you may want to contact them and see if you can rent a bay to do the swaps.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I'm glad for you. I wish all the good people would get out of there yesterday. My old man started traveling there to work in 1947 and moved permanently in around 1957. He came back to Mississippi in 1984. He thought it was too expensive and bureaucratic then and thought it was too fruity back in the 60s. I've got a half brother in CA who's thinking about retiring in MS, and I hope he does. I think a lot of the level headed people are disillusioned with the state.

I grew up in a very small town at the base of Mount Whitney. I basically grew up sheltered from the BS elsewhere in the world, but my stepdad at the time had family in the Bay Area and on one visit in '79 we ventured over to SF. We were heading thru Chinatown and my 7 year old eyes saw two women kissing on a corner. That crap didn't happen in my town so it was foreign. There was 4 TV channels too, ABC, CBS, NBC, KTLA. It was nice growing up that way actually. I want to go back to simpler life for sure.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I grew up in a very small town at the base of Mount Whitney. I basically grew up sheltered from the BS elsewhere in the world, but my stepdad at the time had family in the Bay Area and on one visit in '79 we ventured over to SF. We were heading thru Chinatown and my 7 year old eyes saw two women kissing on a corner. That crap didn't happen in my town so it was foreign. There was 4 TV channels too, ABC, CBS, NBC, KTLA. It was nice growing up that way actually. I want to go back to simpler life for sure.
We’re they hot?????? :happy175::happy175::happy175: I too grew up sheltered from the bs up in the mountains of PA and well my views haven’t changed except seeing hot women kissing is ok lol bull ***** not so much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adhkjashda