Just started my first hands on squarebody build, looking for advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
And if you’re planning on spending 100k on a diy squarebody build, you’re not building it for resale.
Idk if I could find that much to spend, short of maybe a custom tube chassis with a helephant transplant or ?
A Roadster Shop Legend chassis with a LT4 and 8L90 with all the options is $104K plus tax and freight. You still need the rest of the truck to put on it.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Sounds like alot of work and money. Why not start with a good running truck and go from there? 100k for a square body. Wow, where do we find these buyers?

FastEddie

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
LS2 Stroker
A Roadster Shop Legend chassis with a LT4 and 8L90 with all the options is $104K plus tax and freight. You still need the rest of the truck to put on it.
exactly! Thank you.

FastEddie

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
LS2 Stroker
Sounds like alot of work and money. Why not start with a good running truck and go from there? 100k for a square body. Wow, where do we find these buyers?
It would be more expensive to build the truck that I want starting from a running truck. I have the chassis, sheet metal, engine, tranny etc already

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
They are out there.

They don't' want to hear about your junkyard 5.3 swap, or your intake. cam and rusty headers on your small block.

Build something with a new from GM engine and trans, fresh updated interior with Snowden seats, flawless body and paint with all GM sheetmetal, NOS parts used where available, aftermarket suspension and brakes with fresh powder coat on the chassis, in other words the truck that has $90-100K tied up in it

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Welcome to the club…

Advice for building any vehicle:
1) Do actually disassemble the vehicle by removing fasteners. The amount of people that go full ADHD with sawzalls and torches is ridiculous.

2) Don’t throw anything away (removed parts, bushings, Etc.) until you have at least completed that phase of the project. Even if you don’t think you are going to re-use it, there are some pieces that are impossible to find in good condition if at all.

3) save and restore the factory hardware (bolts, wires, small pieces) to the best of your ability. This will save you a lot of money and the factory stuff is usually better quality than anything you can find.

4) it doesn’t take 100k to build a really great truck, but ultimately it’s your truck and if you’ve got cash burning a hole in your pocket do what makes you happy.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Hey guys, I have owned a few really nice trucks and k5"s that I have had built for me over the years, but its time to get dirty! I am building my first truck with my own hands in my own shop. I am looking for some advice on which combo to throw together. I am building a 4x4 swb with 6" lift on 35's with stock appearance aside from lift. I know the old skool guys wont like it but i have a built LS2 stroker that I am going to use mated to a 6L90E and a NP205. I have already done all the small blocks and big blocks out there and looking to do something more modern for drivetrain this time round. My concern is will I lose value if I use newer cab with older front clip and older box etc. Kind of a frankenstein build to get the best of both worlds or should I stick with all one year to achieve best value? I appreciate all the knowledge and experience you all have! Here is what I have....

1977 cab needs corners with regy
1981 cab needs corners and rockers
1987 cab solid with regy
1977 oem no rust box, doors, fenders, hood,
1977 nos in the box grill, rad support
1977 chassis solid
Most all the remaining "used" parts to complete the truck however planning to replace majority of it as I want the truck to look and operate like a new truck when completed
The number one killer of value on one of this trucks is being a Frankenstein build. You don't have to start with a nice truck, but the parts should all match. A buyer is not going to fork out big money for a truck that has a mismatched cab to front clip/bed. Pick what front end style you want to build and stick with that cab, it'll jive better and be a better overall build and hold a better value.

A buddy of mine bought a hodge podge truck one time. Turns out it was titled as an '85 but had a '75 cab with an '81-up clip on it. Dash switches had to be hacked into the dash frame since none of it jived, the colum was an earlier column, the cowl had to be cut for the hood hinges, there was all kinds of weirdness going on with it and he lost his ass on that truck.

Last edited:

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
You trying to take it to sema or something? lol.

Debaus garage on YT has the 90s f350 build if you want to see what it cost him he has a video laying it all out. He ended up with a very sweet truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag