RETRO-Mod: Jeep intermediate steering shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
good idea HR, same function as the bolts only flush.

Yes, and guys who have used bolts have gone all the way thru which takes away the slip or breakaway feature for safety. I know the odds are slim but still, I prefer to mod **** and keep it as good or better than OEM otherwise it just defeats the purpose IMO.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If I can get a hold of one of these I'm going to try and see what it would take to make it work on my 74 without swapping steering boxes.

IIRC Curtis, it's not the box end that has the problem fitting these shafts on earlier square models. It's at the steering column end isn't it? :shrug:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I thought spline count was different on the steering boxes for different years? I've tried to confirm this information.

Just found this:
http://www.eddiesrodshop.com/reference_applicatio_chart.htm

Shows that there are differences in the boxes and I have GM 800 steering box.

Interesting stuff. @RetroC10Sport has even said some of our squares will interchange with Dodge Steering boxes. They'll bolt on but the difference is the steering ratio in the gearing of the boxes. I now forget what brand boxes we have. For some reason I want to say Saginaw is what our steering boxes are. Maybe someone else. But Retro will know.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I know we couldn't put one on Raylanr's 1973 C30 because the splines were too big.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I know we couldn't put one on Raylanr's 1973 C30 because the splines were too big.

Splines at the steering box or at the primary steering column end?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
At the box. We were going to put in a later column to take care of that problem but the shaft wouldn't fit the damn box.

BowTieJockey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Looking to get one of these shafts for my 87 k10 but can't seem to find any in my area if anyone has one they would like to sell please pm me a price.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Looking to get one of these shafts for my 87 k10 but can't seem to find any in my area if anyone has one they would like to sell please pm me a price.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Check ebay

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Summit sells a double U joint slip shaft for our trucks for a reasonable price. Whether they fit right I dunno

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Summit sells a double U joint slip shaft for our trucks for a reasonable price. Whether they fit right I dunno

I have a ujoint on order for the earlier trucks that does splined to d shaft on its way.

Chevy8588

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Splined end

I know this thread is a little old but, i just did this mod to my truck with thr splined collumn yesterday. All i had to do was grind flats .100 down on either side, then I used the bolt notch that was already in it for my pinch bolt to pass through. Everything went together the way it should. No weird feelings or looseness at all

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Improved way to compress/extend Jeep Shaft

Today I bought and prep'd two (2) Cherokee steering shafts

Not too sure why so many folks use torches to burn out the internal plastic inserts. Breathing toxic fumes and ruining the paint only to have issues getting the resultant slop out of the shaft and possibly damaging the upper u joint-shaft connection doesn't seem like a good 1st choice. Jeep engineered these shafts to properly function with the internal plastic inserts.
I used a pry bar to easily compress/ remove both shafts at a Houston pik & pull.
Hung shaft from the rafters of my shop and pulled down with a ratchet strap to the bumper of truck.
http://www.bacliffrv.com/TruckParts/Jeep%20Shaft.gif
Shafts easily separated with a few love taps from a 16 oz hammer. Used a file to remove a little material around each insert. Installed using plastic hammer to get shaft into final position. Working great!

Attachments

• Jeep Shaft.jpg
    Jeep Shaft.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 198

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
A close up of how you hooked that up would be great. I'm wondering how you got around the U joint and kept from tearing the U joints apart.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Apparently the new hot set-up is a steering shaft from an Astro van. Don't know what makes it better than the Jeep shaft, but a lot of guys are going to it now. Thought I would throw it out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe