RETRO-Mod: Jeep intermediate steering shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
A close up of how you hooked that up would be great. I'm wondering how you got around the U joint and kept from tearing the U joints apart.

Hooked small chain thru upper u joint, strap thru lower u joint.
You must be registered for see images

Granted, these u joints are fragile, but I picked up two just in case one got screwed up. Small tap w/ 16 oz hammer pulled em apart. I prolly pulled ~ 300# with the strap, did not ratchet down on it too much or bounce the bed too much, came apart surprisingly easy.

If more force is needed it is a simple matter to wrap chain & strap around shaft before u joints. If all else failed, heat could be applied while hanging in this position.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'll have to give it a try next time I do one.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
B Body Jeep Mod

Hey, guys. Did the XJ Intermediate Steering Shaft mod on the Caprice yesterday. Feels like a modern car at the steering wheel instead of a sloppy old junker. All I did was compress it by heating it with a cheapo propane torch and just slip it on, tap it onto the column while it was still good and warm, and bolt it down. Thanks @Mr Clean

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I have a ujoint on order for the earlier trucks that does splined to d shaft on its way.
Did this work out for you? I have the splined column in my 78 an was considering doing this to get the shaft to work in it.

Wondering how the upper joint comes off the shaft mainly

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Anyone done the mod with a 3" body lift? I am looking to do it with possibly a YJ steering shaft from what I read in this 13 page conversation piece. I will probably look on the ole ebay for one and if the ends match up for me I will tackle it and be the guy that goes for the gusto. That's if no one else chimes in to say otherwise that the XJ shaft fits on a body lifted 88.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
If you want to measure the length of your rag joint shaft, I'll measure one of my jeep shafts and see if it's the same or bigger.

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I can do that. But the only thing I have to do is get off this boat. I will let you know. If all else I found one for 30 bucks from a YJ. If I can play jew for a few bucks I may order it up to be at the house when I get there.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I can do that. But the only thing I have to do is get off this boat. I will let you know. If all else I found one for 30 bucks from a YJ. If I can play jew for a few bucks I may order it up to be at the house when I get there.

I gotcha, man. I actually think the XJ shaft is 21 inches, but I can double check if you want. I'm not sure if the YJ fits. It definitely looks longer, but I don't know if the spline on the Saginaw box is the same or if uses the same D shaped end on the column side. Is there a forum or something that says it does work?

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Also how much shaft should you have at a min/max in the slip joint? Just from lookin at the YJ shaft that bastard has plenty of material to play with.

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I gotcha, man. I actually think the XJ shaft is 21 inches, but I can double check if you want. I'm not sure if the YJ fits. It definitely looks longer, but I don't know if the spline on the Saginaw box is the same or if uses the same D shaped end on the column side. Is there a forum or something that says it does work?
Yeah roger that. Guess I will be a google jockey and try to find the info on the size of each shaft.

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
OK from reading around it looks like with a 1" body lift the xj shaft will work by tapping it in a couple inches. So I am thinking that with a 3" body in theory the XJ shaft should still fit as just about the stock length without trimming shaft. Not to mention if you can body lift an XJ by 3 and the shaft still work to swap said steering shaft to a K5 with a 3" body we should have more shaft penetration than the XJ does. So that means that guys running squares go deeper! :party36:

beest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Anyone done the mod with a 3" body lift? I am looking to do it with possibly a YJ steering shaft from what I read in this 13 page conversation piece. I will probably look on the ole ebay for one and if the ends match up for me I will tackle it and be the guy that goes for the gusto. That's if no one else chimes in to say otherwise that the XJ shaft fits on a body lifted 88.
Mine has a 3" body lift. Worked perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Mine has a 3" body lift. Worked perfectly.

Awesoem. Thanks. Did you cut any of the shaft or leave it stock length?

beest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I didnt cut any off of it. Just heat to be able to compress, then heat to be able to pull it on. I used a mapp gas torch even. Took awhile, but worked before i got a real torch.

beest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Made a huge diffrence in the steering on my rig. The rag joint isnt designed for misalignment and wears quickly when misaligned.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400