RETRO-Mod: Jeep intermediate steering shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
You'll have to excuse the lack of pics. I forgot to put the SD card in my camera and I can't find the cord. :shitsweak: I'll put them up if i find the cord.

!!!This will not work on pre-77 trucks (correct me here if i am wrong) with the splined column shaft!!! You can however, put a newer column in it without much effort I think.

Don't have the $300 for a Borgeson shaft? Don't want to SPEND $300 for basically the same thing? This is your answer for less than $20 usually. I got mine for $5.

Difficulty level: 3-5 (1-10, 10 being most difficult.)

What you will need:

*Steering shaft (From 1988-96 JEEP CHEROKEE)
***UPDATE***You can also use a (87-95 Jeep Wrangler) This one will have to be shortened. The rest should be the same...
*torch or cutoff tool
*beer (optional)
*sockets, wrenches, prybar and stuff.
-11mm 12 point and 15mm 6 point for the original steering shaft
-13mm 6 point for the Jeep shaft
-15mm 6 point, 10mm 6 point, pick, phillips screwdriver, prybar for the square steering column
-AH, you might take a full compliment of things for the Jeep steering column, I can't remember what it takes and the last two I got them from had the columns already removed.

You must be registered for see images attach

First off, we need to head to the junkyard and get a steering shaft. You can get one off a 1988-96 JEEP CHEROKEE (squarebody style, not a grand Cherokee, and it has to be from that time period.) that hasn't been wrecked in the front or anything like that.

This is the Jeep shaft next to my S10 shaft, which is basically the same as a squarebody shaft.

If you can't find one with the column or steering box removed, you're gonna have to take the column or box out yourself since the jeep shafts don't collapse easily. You will probably need the pry bar to take the intermediate shaft off the box or column. Keep the bolts because you will need them.

Next you can get to work installing it in your square. Start by removing your old shaft.

On my 1981, I had to remove the damned steering column because 1) I don't have a torch and didn't want to go to work to get one, plus not everyone has one. You may not have to remove your column and 2) the intermediate shaft had to be taken off with a BFH.

There's a 11mm 12 point bolt holding the shaft to the steering box.

And a 15mm nut holding the shaft to the column. There's a bolt in there with a squared shoulder and it will want to turn as well. hold it somehow while taking the nut off.

If the shaft doesn't collapse, then you will need to loosen the steering column, there's 2 15mm nuts holding it up under the dash and 2 15mm nuts holding a plate at the end next to the fire wall under the hood.

Once it's out of the way, you can start modifying the Jeep shaft to fit. You can 1) take a torch and heat up two pieces of plastic that are inside attached to the lower part of the shaft and slide the larger shaft off the smaller one. Or you can 2) carefully cut off a section of the larger shaft (DO NOT CUT OFF THE SMALLER SHAFT AT ALL) about 3/4" from the end. I made 2 cross cuts and then cut carefully around not hitting the smaller shaft to expose one of the plastic inserts. Once that is done, you can usually get the larger shaft off the smaller shaft with a BFH and thus exposing the other plastic insert that needs to be removed.

Now you should be able to slip the larger shaft back on the smaller one with relative ease.

This is a good time to start putting the steering column back in and hook everything up. I had my entire column out and managed to plug something in wrong and my truck refused to start...:rofl:

You will probably have to open up the ends of the Jeep shaft slightly to slip them over the splines of the steering box as well as the end of the steering column. I used a large flat screwdriver for this and they slid on easily.

For the bolts, you can either 1) use the original bolts from the GM shaft and drill a hole in the end of the Jeep shaft that bolts to the column, or 2) you can use the original bolt from the Jeep shaft in the original place and let it cut new threads into the side of the column.

Install the Jeep bolt in the steering box end of the shaft.

And then clean up, put tools away and enjoy tighter steering. You WILL need to have the steering aligned as your wheel will be way off.

I apologize if this gets confusing without the pics, I tried to be as straightforward as possible. Ask me if you need help and I'll do my best to try to resolve any issues you may have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:High 5:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
You getting this truck is a beautiful thing, I cant wait to see more Retro mods.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Nice! When I installed my shaft, I heated it with the torch to melt the goo out of it which only took about 30 seconds. I have been told that you can use a smaller torch to just heat up the shaft enough to collapse it a bit, then heat it up again to install it. I guess this eliminates the chance of the shaft getting sloppy over time. I just greased mine up really good.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Nice! When I installed my shaft, I heated it with the torch to melt the goo out of it which only took about 30 seconds. I have been told that you can use a smaller torch to just heat up the shaft enough to collapse it a bit, then heat it up again to install it. I guess this eliminates the chance of the shaft getting sloppy over time. I just greased mine up really good.

I was hoping you'd chime in on this. :waytogo:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
So with the plastic removed it's still ok to use?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BadAzz Mod. I'll be doing this.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
I did this last year

Love it

aggie91

Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Looks like I need to go find a Jeep to rob parts...might have to do this on my 85 when I put the new motor in...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
While dropping a car a PAP, and waiting on another call, I went ahead and went on in and got me a little sum'tn sum'tn. 3 off of 92's and 1 off a 96. I wasted another 96 too not realizing, DO NOT PRY ON THE U JOINT OF THE SHAFT. You'll break it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• SteerJipShaft 004.jpg
    SteerJipShaft 004.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 3,559

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Not sure if it's year model difference Retro, but I've been toting around an 11mm 12pt socket for this ****. All of these took a 1/2 6 pt. I was only going to get 3, since there was total of 4 and I broke the 2nd one I attempted. Then when all done, I seen 2 more Jips on the other side of the isle, checked them out, the motor was out of it, the steering column was out of it, and that one was just begging, 1 bolt and I'm yours so I took it too. The other 3, I earned them, steering column in place. By the first one, then the 2nd I broke, by the 3rd of the 5 I pulled, I realized 3 easy to get to bolts to move the steer box off the frame and made the last ones a cake walk. All you really need is a 1/2 socket on a 1/2 drive ratchet with a 6in and 3in extension, and a jack handle, even with the motor and steering column in the Jip. The 3 bolts to move the steer box, and 5/8 socket and a 1/2 drive ratchet. So 2 sockets, 2 extensions, a Ratchet and a Bumper jack handle tire iron is all you need to recover these from 92-96 models that I know of.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Not sure if it's year model difference Retro, but I've been toting around an 11mm 12pt socket for this ****. All of these took a 1/2 6 pt. I was only going to get 3, since there was total of 4 and I broke the 2nd one I attempted. Then when all done, I seen 2 more Jips on the other side of the isle, checked them out, the motor was out of it, the steering column was out of it, and that one was just begging, 1 bolt and I'm yours so I took it too. The other 3, I earned them, steering column in place. By the first one, then the 2nd I broke, by the 3rd of the 5 I pulled, I realized 3 easy to get to bolts to move the steer box off the frame and made the last ones a cake walk. All you really need is a 1/2 socket on a 1/2 drive ratchet with a 6in and 3in extension, and a jack handle, even with the motor and steering column in the Jip. The 3 bolts to move the steer box, and 5/8 socket and a 1/2 drive ratchet. So 2 sockets, 2 extensions, a Ratchet and a Bumper jack handle tire iron is all you need to recover these from 92-96 models that I know of.

nice find, what are they bringing at the pick and pull yards?

Oh yea and i want to see a Picture of the said 5/8" Ratchet. :rotflmao:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Corrected the 5/8 to socket. They were just under $12 with sales tax each. There was an 87 one there too, but Reto's write up said 88-96 so I left it. That one looked like it had a rubber boot over part of it as if it were flexible and slideable to adjust. If I had known for sure the ends would be correct, I actully think I liked that one better, but no telling, so I left it. Also seen a 97 and it looked like it was the same as these, but I also left it.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
so how much play in the steering ddoes this Mod, subtract? very noteable?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl