Repainting Engine Blocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
By removing the casting flash and round the sharp edges and coners actually makes for a stronger block as most motor gurus that I have talked to say. That all so includes inside the block not just the outside and if you are worried about leaving any particels behind inside the block you can paint the inside with what they call block sealer.:grd:

I want more info on the paint block sealer for inside the block.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I saw guys do it with epoxy paint inside, as mentioned before helps with oil drain pan because it's slick inside and if you smooth it out it'd be even faster, they do inside the head(under the valve cover where the springs and rockers are, and the valley for the lifters.

Shadow83

Reaction score
First Name
Clyde
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban 4X4
Engine Size
Ok did some more research on painting the inside of the block. The whole block sealer thing is some magic additive for sealing leaky head gaskets (aka don't waste your time and create more problems and just replace the head gasket). Next this is a very time consumming project meaning all machiened surfaces have to be masked of i.e. cylinder bores, bearing surfaces, lifter ports, and so on. Next there is the fact that the paint either outside our inside the block holds in heat. But on the bright side of things I did find the paint that my book refered to. It is called GLYPTAL 1201 RED ENAMEL which runs about 50 bucks a quart or 50 for a 12.75 spray can.

Shadow83

Reaction score
First Name
Clyde
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban 4X4
Engine Size
Ok did some more research on painting the inside of the block. The whole block sealer thing is some magic additive for sealing leaky head gaskets (aka don't waste your time and create more problems and just replace the head gasket). Next this is a very time consumming project meaning all machiened surfaces have to be masked of i.e. cylinder bores, bearing surfaces, lifter ports, and so on. Next there is the fact that the paint either outside our inside the block holds in heat. But on the bright side of things I did find the paint that my book refered to. It is called GLYPTAL 1201 RED ENAMEL which runs about 50 bucks a quart or 50 for a 12.75 spray can.

sandrock

Reaction score
First Name
Bradley
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I'll throw in my .02 here.

If black is your thing, I've had GREAT success with BBQ grill paint. It covers well, bakes pretty hard, and lasts.

If done properly, wrinkle finish looks good and also lasts a long time on the upper engine parts. I've painted several superchargers and Camaro/Firebird 3800 aluminum valve covers with wrinkle finish with great results.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
No, I wanna use factory color which is old fold blue.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I saw guys do it with epoxy paint inside, as mentioned before helps with oil drain pan because it's slick inside and if you smooth it out it'd be even faster, they do inside the head(under the valve cover where the springs and rockers are, and the valley for the lifters.

Whats this epoxy paint actually called and where you buy it at? I wanna paint the inside of my valves and maybe oil pan too.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
have to find my book and look. It wasn't the inside of the valve covers and oil pan though, it was the block itself in the lifter valley and the heads where the studs are and the bolts, and springs.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
have to find my book and look. It wasn't the inside of the valve covers and oil pan though, it was the block itself in the lifter valley and the heads where the studs are and the bolts, and springs.

Ok, Well then what paint should for the inside of the valve covers and oil pan?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
not sure.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I think it was said before, "block sealer"? I never messed with the stuff, that's all I know.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Ok, I was hoping there would something else besides that.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I went AZ to the Rustoleum paint and primer to repaint the engine block and other parts. What kind of paint remover/stripper do I need to remove the old paint? The rustoleum paint thinner can said its not recommended for removing paint. Can use regular paint thinner from lowes, etc?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes