Repainting Engine Blocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Do they have it ford engine blue?

Just looked they dont have engine high temp paint.

Ford blue? Not sure, I always get Chevy Orange :Moon:

Sure they have high temp engine enamel. Or is 500* not high enough for you?

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Ford blue? Not sure, I always get Chevy Orange :Moon:

Sure they have high temp engine enamel. Or is 500* not high enough for you?

I edited my post. I found it. 500 is what duplicolor offers too. I assume 500 should be good. My engine color is Old Ford Blue.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
wire brush it, clean it with grease and wax remover, gunk whatever, strip paint with paint stripper if there is any, carb cleaner or brake clean maybe, just dont get any of that crap in the motor if it's ready to run, now if it's a bare block not too bad, you just don't want it on bearings, in the oil pan, etc. wipe it down with grease ad wax remover then paint. They even have primer and rusto has blue too.

I got accused of painting a chevy engine ford blue once, the 84 305 in the monte carlo is gm blue, guy said why's it ford blue? I said it aint stupid that's gm blue.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
wire brush it, clean it with grease and wax remover, gunk whatever, strip paint with paint stripper if there is any, carb cleaner or brake clean maybe, just dont get any of that crap in the motor if it's ready to run, now if it's a bare block not too bad, you just don't want it on bearings, in the oil pan, etc. wipe it down with grease ad wax remover then paint. They even have primer and rusto has blue too.

I got accused of painting a chevy engine ford blue once, the 84 305 in the monte carlo is gm blue, guy said why's it ford blue? I said it aint stupid that's gm blue.

Can use grease lightning for cleaning it?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yep but right before paint you gotta use some thinner, maybe acetone or grease and wax remover, you can get it from wal-mart or auto parts store, rustoelum has some. I've used it and it works just as good as the stuff from the body shop supply store for prepping before paintjob.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
yep but right before paint you gotta use some thinner, maybe acetone or grease and wax remover, you can get it from wal-mart or auto parts store, rustoelum has some. I've used it and it works just as good as the stuff from the body shop supply store for prepping before paintjob.

Ok, Which paint brand will last longer the dupilcoat or the rustoelum? Well the rustoelum is $5.69 a can at autozone. Autozone doesnt carry the engine paint in dupilcoat brand. Plus autozone keeps old ford blue in stock anyways.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
get what they have and use it. duplicolor has been around for years and rustoleum is new as far as I know. I used rusto on my heads and intake and it's holding up pretty nice. if you find duplicolor it'll be around the same price. They used to be $3.69 a can. Not now though of course.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I'm with rustoleum since I dont know carries the old ford engine blue in dupilcoat.

Dupilcoat is 6.69 for the 8oz touch up cans.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I know advance here has duplicolor. autozone has it but not engine paint, that's all rustoleum now, including the high heat stuff.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I know advance here has duplicolor. autozone has it but not engine paint, that's all rustoleum now, including the high heat stuff.

Same here also all the engine paint and high heat paint is rustoleum. Dupilcolor is just the touch up stuff like spray cans and scratch remover.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I have seen guys get after a motor with a grinder, and sanders, knock down all the little bumps, and than spray it with engine paint, and it seems to last a long time. I'm thinking about do it to my BB when I get it back from the machine shop.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I have seen guys get after a motor with a grinder, and sanders, knock down all the little bumps, and than spray it with engine paint, and it seems to last a long time. I'm thinking about do it to my BB when I get it back from the machine shop.

I would do it with a wire brush by hand.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea but you can't remove the dimples and casting left overs with a wire brush.

I always wanted to removed them lips and dimples but never did it.

Shadow83

Reaction score
First Name
Clyde
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Suburban 4X4
Engine Size
By removing the casting flash and round the sharp edges and coners actually makes for a stronger block as most motor gurus that I have talked to say. That all so includes inside the block not just the outside and if you are worried about leaving any particels behind inside the block you can paint the inside with what they call block sealer.:grd:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Well the crank, cam, pistons, rods, and the loose timing set is still on the block.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes