Removal of emissions....or not...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
Has anyone done an emissions removal on any of the TBI 454's?? I'm not running any cats right now and my EGR is already unhooked. If I'm not running any cat's or an EGR there's really no point in leaving the AIR system on the manifolds is there?? Or am I missing something?? I don't have to worry about emissions where I live, and inspections aren't an issue either.I'm not sure what kind of code the it might throw if I finish unhooking everything, but my check engine light was pulled out long ago. Anyone thats been through any of this with some insight would be nice. thanks guys

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
WOW...This is a first. Trying to figure out if there was any negative to removing all of my emissions ,and not one single tree hugger came out to preach at me about how important my emissions are and how they actually improve my horse power.
Well regardless of the lack of hippies it looks like it's out with the rest of the emissions junk.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It sounds as if you already have most of them removed. I'm not a tree hugger, but I was a CA smog test, inspection and repair tech. I learned the emmisions devices aren't as bad as people make them out to be. I don't like emmissions cuz they are in the way of working on other things. Or if you want to run a hipo motor, then you don't want the ****. Who wants to run a smog pump with headers? I don't. EGR can get gummy and its a PITA too. But, if your state doesn't require testing, go for it. Yank off what you can, without it affecting the computer performance. When and if I ever go Vortec or LS in one of my squares, I'll run the emmissions. Alot of emmisions that are computer controlled do help in efficiency, old school, non computer, not so much.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I dont know so much about bigblocks so I'm no help, other than generalistic info. Also you cant start a thread and an hour later complain that no one responded. Some folks here dont get to log in every day so after a few days you may get more responses. IMO if you can get by without emission control devices I would remove them ALL :lol: Raceday inspections they look under the hood at mine and the only vacuum line is the distributor advance, so much less stuff to go bad and make the truck run bad.

Last edited:

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
An hour....You mean a day??

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've removed lots of smog pumps, the only thing that changes is there is more room under the hood :grd:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
smog pump and air tubes do nothing, pull em, run headers, or good luck finidng plugs to fit the air tube holes in the manifolds.

remove egr and make a plate or buy one, it's gonna throw egr code, or so I'm told.

call it done.

I removed the egr, solenoid, and all that crap from my 88 tbi 350, removed the charcoal can, removed the air pump and lines, and now I got headers.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
Isn't there a vent from your fuel tank into your charcoal canister?? I think my truck has one anyway...not real sure on that. What did you do with that if your truck had it??

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I tee'd my rear diff vent, gas tank vent, t-case/trans vent and front axle vent all together and plumbed the end up into the cab cowl with one of those vent breather valve caps on the end and did away the charcoal canister.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
left the line from the gas tank to the charcoal can open, or use a breather cap/filter like c4 did.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
Well yesterday I couldn't get gas in my truck for some reason. I just kept filling up the filler neck. I was 50 miles from my brothers house and about 60 miles from my house and had about an 1/8 of a tank in both tanks, and all i could get in either tank was 56 cents. i ended up cutting my tank vent off at the canister and it took fuel great after that. I would have never even thought about doing that and would have ended up stranded if not for just having had you guys answer the about question about that canister and vent line. So thanks guys. This forum has already saved me a possible tow bill for something stupid like a plugged canister/vent line.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
smog pump and air tubes do nothing, pull em, run headers, or good luck finidng plugs to fit the air tube holes in the manifolds.

remove egr and make a plate or buy one, it's gonna throw egr code, or so I'm told.

call it done.

I removed the egr, solenoid, and all that crap from my 88 tbi 350, removed the charcoal can, removed the air pump and lines, and now I got headers.

The little individual air tubes just need pipe plugs to replace them. As for the big single tube in some models, I'm guessing it's just a big pipe plug.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
Nope, pipe plugs would not fit. threads are different I tried them. Mines 88 and tbi though, small block, and uses only one tube in the front, a big one.

now the older small blocks bolts or pipe plugs work perfectly.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
... and uses only one tube in the front, a big one.

That's the one I wasn't sure about. But the motors with the little individual tubes are the pipe plug ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamberttt