Rebuild, or replace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Polyphemus287

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks for the tip on the book shortbed. I will pick that up.

Just out of curiosity, what is the main difference between the pre 87 700 and the 87 and newer 700. I only ask, because I think me and a friend, who worked as a transmission tech for a few years are going to rebuild my 700. Perhaps me and him can do some improvements to make my 700 up to 87 and after standards.

Also, I think I am going to settle for freshening up my old six cylinder since this truck is my daily driver. What kind of mileage do you get from your sixes with the non-integrated head and with what carb setup are you running on them? Prior to all this my truck roughly got 13-15 in the city, and 18 to 20 highway (long haul) with its current setup. I have heard that the non-integrated head trucks with the 1 barrel carb don't get as good of mileage.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Pre 87's don't have all the upgrades, and it's just not worth the time and money to bring it up to equal the later ones.

Don't have a six in a truck but I have one in my 63 Nova and the wife has a six in her 75(integral), the 63 gets better mileage than the 75, in fact my 75 with a small block gets better mileage than hers. The integral is a POS smog piece and pretty much can't do anything with them, my 63 is a 194 and it has more power than her 250, and there's a lot of goodies available for the non-integral head, that book goes in depth on that, there is even a kit to change a Holley 350 into a 3 barrel making the primary smaller than the stock single which give even better mileage.

Polyphemus287

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

The carnage is now in full swing. I see why most guys won't even attempt to rebuild an automatic transmission. It's a bear of a job, especially at the home garage.

I have this repair manual for the trans: https://www.ebay.com/i/like/351690844939?chn=ps&dispItem=1. However, it doesn't have a fully exploded diagram of the transmission and its parts. Anyone know where I can get a decent exploded diagram for the 700r4? I've google it, but most of what I find is sketchy at best. Anyone with some info on finding such a diagram would be awesome.

Also, 74 shortbed, I just got my copy Leo Santucci's six cylinder book in the mail and skimmed it. Curiously, it doesn't really seem to include any torque specs for the 250. I have a haynes manual on the truck that does have some engine torque specs in it, but I would like to find something to confirm that information with. If anyone has any info on this it would be greatly appreciated.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

Polyphemus287

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I wouldn't call it easy, more like stressful lol. I've done a decent amount of engine work, and I gotta say this transmission seems a lot tougher. But its my first so maybe its all gravy after the first lol?

You must be a search engine wizard. I googled trans diagrams for about 30 minutes with key words like "700r4 diagram" "700r4 schematic" etc. and flipped through about 7 to 8 pages of images with nothing as good as what you pulled up. Thanks man it is much appreciated! My only beef with it is the diagram is 87-93, but my trans is an 83/84 model. But it should be just fine. Thanks again! I will follow up with any updates.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I wouldn't call it easy, more like stressful lol. I've done a decent amount of engine work, and I gotta say this transmission seems a lot tougher. But its my first so maybe its all gravy after the first lol?

You must be a search engine wizard. I googled trans diagrams for about 30 minutes with key words like "700r4 diagram" "700r4 schematic" etc. and flipped through about 7 to 8 pages of images with nothing as good as what you pulled up. Thanks man it is much appreciated! My only beef with it is the diagram is 87-93, but my trans is an 83/84 model. But it should be just fine. Thanks again! I will follow up with any updates.
Well, it's not a diagram it's a breakdown,lol, "700R4 breakdown" and tons come up. No problem on the years it's all the same basics, first one is intimidating at first but as you go you'll find out it's very easy, if you paid attention when you took it apart it just goes back together in reverse, just remember "no forcing parts" if it don't slide in something isn't right and must be corrected, it's an education just take your time and have fun with it..

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I just had my 700r4 apart last weekend. 3-4 clutches were toast. I just replaced the 3-4 clutches with red alto clutches and added two extra frictions. Was my first trans teardown and I found you tube to be extremely helpful.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody