Radio issues, any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Go into the configuration menus and turn off all the sources you don't have, like xm radio. Turn off the parameter that says only play stations if they are above a certain signal level. Adjust the source level control up.

Bunch of things that can mute the tuner on that head unit. You need to turn all those options off to see what it does. The start-up process may be different from the switch-to-radio process.

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Will do. I've got it set to a radio station that's literally less than a mile away. It shows full signal and shows that it should be playing. Just no sound. I did add and xm tuner but don't have a subscription yet. However I cut the antenna wire to feed into the cab and I think it may be a fiber optic wire or something so I probably ruined it.

It's just crazy. It works good when it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Alright, I am at a loss right now. After talking to different folks I returned the radio and got another one. Brand new radio. Installed it and its doing the exact same thing. I have it wired up with a harness from Metra. When it plays sound it works fine. When I switch between sources it just quits playing sound. If I switch it on and it was on radio, itll play. If I switch it on and it was on cd itll play. But if I try and switch after its on I get no sound. I dont know what else to do.

The only thing I'm not sure on is the orange "illumination" wire on the Pioneer or Metra harness. Do I need that? Could that be causing the issue?

Last edited:

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Try disconnecting the speakers with the bass blockers. Maybe the system doesn't like em? What ever it's got to be simple.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Have you tried turning the volume up after you switch sources? Maybe it switches but puts the volume to zero until you turn it up. Hey, you probably tried that, but I'm taking a shot in the dark here.

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I did try that and sadly it doesnt reset to zero. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

I thought about the bass blockers but the rear speakers are wired separately and so even if it was an issue with those they should still play.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
You never know...

Sent from the dust in front of you!

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My dad says the cig lighter isnt constant 12v and that if it was I should be able to turn the radio on without the key in the ignition. Thats not correct is it?

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Alright fellas, I have isolated the issue. Removed the bass blockers and that didnt change anything. I unplugged the Sirius/XM tuner and poof, it works perfect now. I can switch sources to my hearts content. So thats good but that sucks cause I got the radio specifically for the sirius capabilities. I dont know how to disable the Sirius part to see if its just cause I dont have a subscription that it does this. But I dont want to subscribe if the tuner itself is what is messing me up.

Any thoughts or ideas?

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Not much wiring to it. Runs from the antenna itself to the control module then from that to the head unit. Seems more like an interface issue aside from a physical issue to me. Idk though so I will investigate further.

Hell, I'm just happy to have clear radio, cd player and rear speakers. Quite the step up from where I started.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I have 0 experience w/installing XM tuners, but was it on when you cut the wire? Even if not, It may have shorted something in the antenna circuit that's causing the it to wreak havoc with the unit. I'd try replacing it, or at least the antenna cabling to see if that fixes things.

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I do wonder that. I'll check into getting a replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
First Name
Alexandr
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Radio issues any ideas

Okay i have searched and searched and cannot figure this out. I just got my kenwood touch screen from crutchfield and installed it, everything went fairly smooth. And it works perfect.. except i have no sound out of any speakers unless the radio is on tuner.. I still need to try a cd, have only tried my ipod. Ive tried a bunch of combinations for the remote/antenna wire even though there isnt an amplifier in the car... currently wired remote wire from the radio to the cars antenna wire. I also dont have an antenna motor anymore.. so the 3 wire connector in the rear is just chillin I checked all the speaker wires and im getting voltage through all 8. Does anybody have an ideas? also all the speakers are brand new, but dont have all of them wired up yet. Going to do that soon. No wires are touching each other or the body. Would it matter if not all 4 speakers are hooked up? Thanks in advance..

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
See if the wires are switched at one end or another
Some speakers are touchy and it's a good way to blow them
Is it USB and aux or auxiliary only
Some models with the USB don't support ipod use
Some will stay in the USB mode and won't play the ipod
Others will switch back to tuner
Try the cd and see what it does
The remote I usually leave alone unless hooking up an amp
But I'm not all that familiar with kenwood equipment so I could be wrong
Are you getting voltage through your - speaker wires?

Sticks n stones will break your bones but being a mechanic will kill ya

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64