Radiator Fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I know the water pumps on the vortecs spin opposite but what about the other motors?

I want to replace my non clutch fan with a clutch fan. Can I just grab any fan off any SBC that isn't vortec with a clutch and bolt it on?

Is there any styles or types that are better than another?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Seems like the fan blades would be the wrong way if it came from a non vortec engine.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The clutch from any pre vortec will work. I think I even used my 6.2 clutch on my 350 when I converted. Non vortec fan styles can be mixed and matched as well.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I'm guessing you would need to make sure the fan sits in the right spot in the shroud for maximum air flow too. Or maybe all the setups are the same. I don't know, but I too am looking at adding a fan clutch.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm guessing you would need to make sure the fan sits in the right spot in the shroud for maximum air flow too. Or maybe all the setups are the same. I don't know, but I too am looking at adding a fan clutch.

I know that fans can vary in size so that is definitely something to think about as well as the depth.

But I'm not to concerned I'd just rather not have the fan spinning all the time.. they are NOISY.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I know that fans can vary in size so that is definitely something to think about as well as the depth.

But I'm not to concerned I'd just rather not have the fan spinning all the time.. they are NOISY.

Yes they are noisy that is exactly why I am wanting to do it too.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

You will be surprised at how much power that old solid fan robs from you! I have one of those in my tool drawers. I ran it cause I had 3 clutches fail all in a row. when I finally replaced it with a new clutch I was surprised how much power it was robbing. Very noticeable!

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You will be surprised at how much power that old solid fan robs from you! I have one of those in my tool drawers. I ran it cause I had 3 clutches fail all in a row. when I finally replaced it with a new clutch I was surprised how much power it was robbing. Very noticeable!

Good to know! Will be heading to PnP this weekend to pickup a air cleaner from a TBI and a clutch/fan for the truck.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Don't grab any with wet oily spots on them as that is the hydraulic fluid leaking out. Dry ones can also be toast. sometimes the dry ones have leaked out all there fluid already and have dryed up.

Im not really sure what kinda test you should use.

Maybe someone else could chime in with what kind of things to look for. I definitely think the cleaner they are the better chance of finding a good one

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
If a fan clutch has failed, will it still spin the fan, but not at an audible speed? I had an 85 fleetside and everytime I started the truck, the fan would be audible for a few seconds then quiet down. On my current 87, I never hear the fan, but it does spin. I haven't had any overheating issues either.

Just curious. Thanks.

EDIT: After doing a quick search, it appears my 87 has a non-thermal fan clutch. The 85 I had before had a thermal type.

Last edited:

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So there is a alot more to this whole fixed vs clutch fan that what people make it out to be.

I went to PnP today and grabbed a fan with a clutch and when I brought it home and looked at the fixed fan I have the fan pitch is completely different.

So I did some research and essentially if the water pump uses a serppentine belt it will spin opposite to that of a vbelt.

So now I have a clutch and fan that I might be able to make work buy maybe going back to the drawing board.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Cant you just bolt your old fan to it ? OH your old fan is not from a clutch fan ahhhh

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Cant you just bolt your old fan to it ? OH your old fan is not from a clutch fan ahhhh

Yup exactly. I may look into just flipping the actual fan around and see how it works.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yup exactly. I may look into just flipping the actual fan around and see how it works.

Nope it will still be blowing the same direction. You need to go back and find an old square type fan

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah unfortunately no square fans to be had :(

Forum statistics

Threads