Project Mini me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mackadocious916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
82 c10, 85 k20
Truck Model
GM
Engine Size
Diesel to gas swap
Some teaser pics with grill and bumper set in there...
You must be registered for see images attach

Still got fine tuning to do...

Jobs about 85% done.... can't wait to button it all up.

Mackadocious916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
82 c10, 85 k20
Truck Model
GM
Engine Size
Diesel to gas swap
Interesting build. Looks like you're making some good headway. But it seems like a lot of work just to move your truck in and out of your garage. Why not just use some of these: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200430521_200430521 and a come-along?

In post #183, I pretty much tried the wheel Dollie's, minus the come along' s, it was a mess. They were harbor freight brand around the same price... here's a link to the last page of "project f smog".
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14880&page=13

Mackadocious916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
82 c10, 85 k20
Truck Model
GM
Engine Size
Diesel to gas swap
Saw AutoZone had a radiator for $125.... but then saw this on CL.. picked it up around 945 am..

So I went back at it....

It turns out that the v6 radiator is bigger, so while I love the extra capacity, I had to remove both side supports as it is roughly 2-3" wider on each side...

Condenser and fan do look bad, but they work. The fan is four bolts and one wire connector to replace, so I eventually will get one at a part out/ pick n pull .. I ended up using the zip tie things that go through radiator and condenserand, and a quarter size black plastic and foam piece sandwich everything together... Happy that AC is ice cold...

Went and got three of the big peak antifreeze 50/50 jugs, and a radiator cap ( same part for 4cyl & 6cyl) as the original was chewed up... also six body clips for the bumper grill shell as It came with only two in there...

Stock (old pic for comparison)

You can see the zip ties in these pics before I clipped em...

Been eyeballing this for a while... Haven't pulled the trigger...

Also considering buying another bumper for the rear , but it would require lots modification to fit the rear. Maybe worth it with stinger removed, but may have to deal with rear bumper tire carrier or tire relocation which may not be worth it... we'll see...

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
I cannot speak to the quality of the Badland winches, as I have never run one before. But if it is like a lot of the stuff you get from HF, you could be rolling the dice on it. I buy a lot of stuff from HF, but it is usually small stuff, hand tools, grinder disks, etc. I would be hesitant to get a winch from them. You can get a smittybuilt xrc 9.5 at 4wheelparts for $10 more than the one HF sells. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-...aspx?t_c=18&t_s=300&t_pt=100702&t_pn=S/B97495 I have run smittybuilt winches on several different offroad rigs, and have not had any performance issues out of them. If you ever did have an issue with it, 4WP is very good about warrantying items.

Mackadocious916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
82 c10, 85 k20
Truck Model
GM
Engine Size
Diesel to gas swap
I cannot speak to the quality of the Badland winches, as I have never run one before. But if it is like a lot of the stuff you get from HF, you could be rolling the dice on it. I buy a lot of stuff from HF, but it is usually small stuff, hand tools, grinder disks, etc. I would be hesitant to get a winch from them. You can get a smittybuilt xrc 9.5 at 4wheelparts for $10 more than the one HF sells. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-...aspx?t_c=18&t_s=300&t_pt=100702&t_pn=S/B97495 I have run smittybuilt winches on several different offroad rigs, and have not had any performance issues out of them. If you ever did have an issue with it, 4WP is very good about warrantying items.
Good info.... I want a warm but $$$

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
Good info.... I want a warm but $$$

I have an old Warn 9.5ti on my tow rig. It has been run into the ground and back. Works great. They are very costly, but you get what you pay for. Smittybuilt is a very good "bang for your buck" winch.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You know don't have to use Photobucket to host pics on GMSB. You can upload the attachments directly to GMSB using the Go Advanced feature when posting.

Now I'm subscribed so I can watch this one. Something tells me this thing is going to struggle a bit with those big tires. Did you determine which gear ratio you have? I sure hope it's in the 5.XX's.

Mackadocious916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
82 c10, 85 k20
Truck Model
GM
Engine Size
Diesel to gas swap
You know don't have to use Photobucket to host pics on GMSB. You can upload the attachments directly to GMSB using the Go Advanced feature when posting.

Now I'm subscribed so I can watch this one. Something tells me this thing is going to struggle a bit with those big tires. Did you determine which gear ratio you have? I sure hope it's in the 5.XX's.

I didnt know that about Photobucket. I do this from my phone mostly, and some of the boxes that probly turn into emojis and faces don't register. I can't even see the option you speak of because some of the things I am Sure you can click on, just come up as unloaded boxes. Here's a screenshot so you can see what I am saying about missing icons:

Its all good though.Thanks for the heads up and Sig link info.

Anyways....I believe all auto 4dr tracker/ grand vitara came with 4.88s gears and the 99 sticks came with 5.12/13s. So I likely have 4.88s which gives me some room to go deeper. I could upgrade to those 5.12s down the road, but am researching if samurai gears would fit in hybrid earlier 96-98 trackick differential without "shift on the fly" innards -and 26 spline axles as opposed to the 22- would work as they still make samurai 5.38s. there are two tracker gears of 5.62 and 5.38 in only two model years (1989, 1991) that are very hard to find. I believe aftermarket made 5.81 or 5.83s at one point (which would be the perfect ratio if I could buy them) but no longer..

I also know toyota sas would be great with 5.29s or really 5.71s but I wanted to keep this ifs for possible Reno up the mountain trips without having to stop for chains/adventure vehicle and leave the hardcore stuff to the k20...

Also Picked this up....

So I want to do some fine tuning of the fender well next time I have time to work on her, as there is still rubbage amd I didn't make it out the driveway... I was thinking I might need to go to 9.5 width vs the 11.5 there. Also debating on 33" vs 32". Ideally I would want 33s. But due to lack of re-gearing options, I may actually have to go down a size

Again in beautiful CA, I smogged this car last month to be able to register it in my name after purchase, but due to the tags being up in August, I will have to re smog then to re register for new tags in a couple more months. So I still have stock tires and wheels to put back to stock in order to smog then hopefully with no issue (which is why I bit the bullet and paid around $650 for new "CA only" cat alone.

The problem is if I change gears I would want the math to make it as close to stock like the 5.83s with 33s vs stock 4.88 with 27s. If the rpms are off due to the gears making it rev out of the factory power band. Say even upgrading 5.12s with 33s, I think it may make vehicle pollute more and possibly not pass smog due to gears being off... they test at idle, then like 15mph, then like 35mph.... also what about gears telling engine it is only doing 25mph, when it is really doing 35mph so pollutes more due to tech not understanding tach/speedo is off.

Long story short, wrong gears, wrong tires, could make fail smog and another waste, which I cant have happen with this one. I guess worst case is I get the 5.12s and have to downsize to like swamper 29.9.5.15s??? We will see if I can somehow locate or make a hybrid ifs axle with front gears to go lower than that.

I trip off manufacturers that used to make the 5.83s but no longer. I see the vehicles all the time for $1500-2500. $300 body and suspension lift and tires pretty capable. Youd think there would be a huge after market for these now that they are cheap/ and with less and less samurai/sidekicks available, peeps would step up to have this gen carry the torch.... I guess samurai sas is an option too. I want this more mild than wild though.

Mackadocious916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
82 c10, 85 k20
Truck Model
GM
Engine Size
Diesel to gas swap
Its been raining hard, but I Tried to do some more trimming....Now I get why many people are running 31/10.5/15s, or 9.5 width ...
Turning in is no problem on this side...

Turning out is the problem....

Trimmed down the inner pinch weld but if I go much lower it will separate so am going sparingly... I think I may have to downsize my tires, which may help the gear 5.125 being better option....

Same on other side, no problem turning in....

Still got more to go...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Them are some big tires for a little vehicle. That lightweight suspension has to be begging for mercy.

Mackadocious916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
82 c10, 85 k20
Truck Model
GM
Engine Size
Diesel to gas swap
Them are some big tires for a little vehicle. That lightweight suspension has to be begging for mercy.

I know. I've been shopping for deals.....but if I can make it work with more grinding, and without spending more $, I will.... especially after finding these ATs are M+S rated so no chains needed if I go to Reno.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
IMO 31x10.50's would be the hot ticker for that little rig. Not only the height, but the 10.50 vs 12.50 is going to give you an advantage too for such a light vehicle. People always tend to think wider with more meat on the ground, they're better off. Not always true. The weight of the vehicle is spread all across that 12.50 inches. The same weight across 10.50 inches is going to push down a bit harder. Not to mention fuel mileage is going to be much better with the 31x10.50's. Less weight to get rolling, and 2 inches different in width per tire x 4 is 8 less inches of friction drag on the highway. Not to mention taking strain off the transmission. For this vehicle, I think you'll be so much happier all the way around with the 31x10.50's. That's JMO though.

In fact, for my K10/20 conversion truck, I'll have a 4in lift, but I think I only want to run a 33x10.50 instead of 35 or 33x12.50. The 33x10.50's are a bit tough to find though. I know BF Goodrich makes then in the All Terrain Radial, but not sure if anyone else does or not. And that probably won't work anyway cuz I'm going to be running OEM 16in steel wheels and the sizing is different, but I'll get a close to a 33 or 34 in 10.5 to 11in width.

Mackadocious916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
82 c10, 85 k20
Truck Model
GM
Engine Size
Diesel to gas swap
I hear ya on the 31s. I wanted ro see if I could roll the $50 tire set and the 32x 11.5" width as I removed the factory sway and strut bars and it was a little tippy stock on 5.5" wheels. I do like the south African tall and skinny expo look....swampers makes 32x9.5 but at like $200 each

But I did some more front fender well trimming yesterday and was able to maiden voyage around my block tw times.... still rubbing but don't know where yet, and less of it..(wish I had like a fender well go pro while in motion).

On the journey I found a stock v6 vitara down the street and took some comparison shots....

Chipping away....

Mackadocious916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
82 c10, 85 k20
Truck Model
GM
Engine Size
Diesel to gas swap
Been a while.... My phone died and I had to get all my log ins and passwords.....

Got the rear stainless line in for length under droopage....still need to bleed brakes though....

I am currently working on the power steering rack and pinion r&r due to leakage....

Gunky...

The replacement....I got at a dismantler for $85

I have had her apart for a while, but do to the 2" Body lift, figure this is the best time to put in a steering spacer for increased height....

When I went to install this part while the rack was out, the inner sleeve had not been threaded from the factory, so I had been wiating on the replacement....

Guess what came today....

I also had reorganized my garage- relatively- for a little more space...

Mackadocious916

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
82 c10, 85 k20
Truck Model
GM
Engine Size
Diesel to gas swap
Went back at it, got the steering joint extension in....

Got the rack loosely installed.... Still gotta tighten the four bolts to the crossmember and one bolt at steering linkage ( but have to straighten wheels and steering wheel first). Also the rods, & top pressure hose bolt...

Then...
Brake bleed. Resolve Camber bolt issue of 2 vs 1. Body work fromt trimming. Alignment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshuOne