Possible Fuel problem with my 87.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
I am having a odd problem with my 87 R10 pickup with a 4.3 V6 TBI.

I went to town this morning it ran fine I started the truck (started normally) and I put it into Reverse and I backed out of the parking spot and when I put it into drive it died.

I couldn't get it started and had to have my friend tow me back to my house. :Frustrated:

I can hear the fuel pump run but when I start it it will run for a couple of seconds and then die. When I turn the key off then turn it back on I cannot hear the fuel pump run. If I let it sit for 2 hours or so and it will run and die within 10 seconds of starting.

I am wondering if it is the fuel pump or the fuel pump relays?

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Sounds like a bad fuel pump or clogged intake screen on the filter (in the tank) ....also when is the last time the in line fuel filter was changed? Check the fuse for the fuel pump relay. I used to be able to hear my fuel pump charge when the key was on before starting. With the new fuel pumps, they are now silent.

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
Sounds like a bad fuel pump or clogged intake screen on the filter (in the tank) ....also when is the last time the in line fuel filter was changed? Check the fuse for the fuel pump relay. I used to be able to hear my fuel pump charge when the key was on before starting. With the new fuel pumps, they are now silent.

Fuel filter was changed about a month ago and a tune up was done about 4 months ago.

The fuel pump kicks on and the engine will run for about 5-10 seconds before dying. When I turn the key off then turn it back on, the fuel pump does not kick on.....

If I wait about 2 hours it will run for about another 5-10 seconds before dying.
Someone told me Ignition coil....

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Hmmm...so your getting fuel, air, check the spark. Did the tuneup involve swapping in new plugs? Were the plugs gapped properly? What about the wires? I would think if its your rotor and it was out of phase, you wouldnt get enough ignition to get it to start, yet run. Replace the coil would be a good start. Its been awhile since i had non electronic ignition.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
The fuel pumps won't run right away if they've just been run, since the fuel system should already have prime. If you wait about 20 seconds and turn the key back on, I bet the pumps would run again.

In any case, just need to track down the problem. I wouldn't be surprised to see a split hose between the pump and the sending unit, though the engine will usually at least stumble and stutter in that case. Certainly be sure to check external things first, like the fuel injector pattern (is it dribbling while cranking, or spraying? Dribbling could be an indicator of low fuel pressure, which could be a split hose or a bad pump), etc.

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
New Borg Werner Ignition coil did not fix the problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx