Overflow Tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Should be easy to find a replacement at the junkyard. I wouldn't eliminate it since it helps keep the maximum amount of fluid in your radiator.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome back sky. Haven't seen you on in a couple days.

Sealed systems are a good way to go, I like them. I'd replace it too. I have the same issue on my 84. You know the other day in the 85 K1500 when I was driving it for the first time I kept a good eye on the fluids. I was sure happy to see when I kit the pressure lever on the cap, it started filling up the recovery tank. :waytogo: Even the recovery system is working good. So without the recovery tank working, its normal for your truck to look to be about an inch and half to 2 inches low on coolant when cold. That gives that 1 1/2 -2 inches of space for expansion room before it starts spilling out your overflow sicne its not going into a recovery system. Oh, and stay off the racetrack if you don't have a recovery system. :laughing1:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I have a leaking head something and had a leaking recovery tank both loosing my antifreeze, this is so depressing....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have a leaking head something and had a leaking recovery tank both loosing my antifreeze, this is so depressing....

Leaking recovery tank is not big deal dawg. That's common. They get brittle and break at where the hose comes in, and why I said, if your coolant level is 1 1/2 - 2 inches below full in the radiator, call it good, cus as the motor warms and coolant expands it will be full.

The way those are designed to work if you don't know. As motor gets warm it spills coolant into recovery tank as it expands. Then as cooling down if its a sealed system and no cracks or breaks in the tank, cap or hose, then is drawd the coolant back into the radiator.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And I wouldn't even waste time looking at a junkyard for one, cuz odds are slim you'd find one not cracked, broke, or so brittle when you went to take it off it would break.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
I had to buy a new one from LMC

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That does look like either one would work.

You know to drag race at the track, that is required to have? So you don't spew coolant on the track. Some giuys just bunji cord a gallon milk jug with a hose going from the overflow to the jug. Track officials don't care so long as you got something to catch the fluids. Of course it not being sealed, it's not going to draw the coolant back into the radiator unless the hose is submerged in the coolant.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obullard74