fuel tank swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
ok here we go.. my 84 gmc has an after market fuel tank on right side... I want to remove that plastic tank (its cracked ) and replace it with my steel tank from my 77 chevy truck (spare parts rig ) is this doable ?
Will it interchange. ?
i know i will have to change out the sender for a three line sender.
Ill have to cut a hole for the fuel filler as well , as there is no fuel door on the right side....

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The tanks all interchange (although 87+ are supposed to have internal baffles for EFI), but sending units and filler pipes differ from year to year. It would require some body work to add a filler door, so you might want to look for the fillers from an older truck.

I’d get a bunch of measurements from a junkyard truck, and just cut out the filler hole in the same place so the rubber filler pipe will be in the right place to reach the tank.

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
cool. ill have to get out there when the rain stops and look the 77 over to see what to remove an take some measurements while im there .
the bed on the 84 has a spot inside where there could be a filler hose ,its a hump and the other side has same. i may order a new side panel with filler door. That side is damaged (that why tank is cracked ).
side note im thinking of turning the 77 into a rat rod.....

Attachments

• rat truck.jpg
    rat truck.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 19

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
ok so i have found pin holes in top of tank. whats best way to repair JB weld. ??
i will prob get a new tank from rockauto when i can get some funds gathered up...

Attachments

• 11-19-23.jpg
    11-19-23.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 22

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
ok so i have found pin holes in top of tank. whats best way to repair JB weld. ??
i will prob get a new tank from rockauto when i can get some funds gathered up...
Tanks are cheap. Too inexpensive to bother repairing something to be replaced later.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
If you have a plastic tank, those cost a lot of money. Id suggest repairing the crack since its a plastic tank. Is the crack big? Steel tanks are cheap too. a 77's filler hose and neck as has been said are different, and since the 84 has fuel doors it wont line up perfectly.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you have a plastic tank, those cost a lot of money. Id suggest repairing the crack since its a plastic tank. Is the crack big? Steel tanks are cheap too. a 77's filler hose and neck as has been said are different, and since the 84 has fuel doors it wont line up perfectly.
A newbie. You'll have to reintroduce yourself.

lol

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Just that one hole? A sheet metal screw,with a flat washer and a rubber washer.Put the flat washer on the screw then the rubber washer,screw it into the hole,the rubber washer will seal it.

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
Tanks are cheap. Too inexpensive to bother repairing something to be replaced later.
yes sir .. i quess ill wait till i have funds to buy a new tank, i sure dont want to pull it out agian...
Thanks all......
note: plastic tank is to far gone to repair. also its a bad extra tank very cheap an installed very cheap as well..

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
yes sir .. i quess ill wait till i have funds to buy a new tank, i sure dont want to pull it out agian...
Thanks all......
note: plastic tank is to far gone to repair. also its a bad extra tank very cheap an installed very cheap as well..
Oh I thought you meant it was a stock type. If you look on facebook listings you may be able to find a gas tank that will fit. do you have an original 1984 tank on that truck and original filler neck.. otherwise you may need the neck and hoses too

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
Oh I thought you meant it was a stock type
no sir the tank is an after market somebody installed . something hit the side of the bed an busted that tank. ill have to add a fuel door or order a new bed side with door. I was hoping to install the 20 gal tank from my 77 but its got three pin holes in the top. so now i think it might be best to wait an get a new tank or maybe not. i dont drive it far mostly around my area. I do like that i could have the extra fuel just in case.... rockauto has some good prices on tanks so ill ponder it some more....

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
no sir the tank is an after market somebody installed . something hit the side of the bed an busted that tank. ill have to add a fuel door or order a new bed side with door. I was hoping to install the 20 gal tank from my 77 but its got three pin holes in the top. so now i think it might be best to wait an get a new tank or maybe not. i dont drive it far mostly around my area. I do like that i could have the extra fuel just in case.... rockauto has some good prices on tanks so ill ponder it some more....
Partsgeek had the same tank for less than rockauto, and lower shipping costs. ($12)

And when it came it had rockauto tape sealing the box.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
FYI, 20 gal. tank won't fit a short bed if that's what you ahve.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag