Oldsmobile Engine Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Huh! I remember a while back the war was on with the neighbor lady.:shitsweak:

Yeah, and I don't really want to stir the **** up again. If I fire that motor up with no exhaust, open manifolds, it'll be plenty loud. I think I better wait til tommorow.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
I built one for my dad but it's going into a 52 olds 88. I'm not a tranny guy and it's been sitting bagged for years waiting for the 400 turbo to be built. The car use to be an old dirt racer. Its got the mad max frame and all. Should be a fun car if he he ever gets that tranny built. It will be a great truck engine as well.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I built one for my dad but it's going into a 52 olds 88. I'm not a tranny guy and it's been sitting bagged for years waiting for the 400 turbo to be built. The car use to be an old dirt racer. Its got the mad max frame and all. Should be a fun car if he he ever gets that tranny built. It will be a great truck engine as well.

I wish I had room for more ****. In your travels I'd have you drop it off, and then pick it back up next time you're through here. For a stock buiild, which is about all he'd really need for an OEM 455, I could get one built for you cheap, and make a few bucks myself. IIRC the last buddy deal I did for $400 and that was some good parts and a new TC and I made $175 for the build.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Maybe one of these days I'll take ya up on it. If I don't finish it he never will. I'll probably end up inherenting that car. The engine has been sitting for six years totally rebuilt. It doesnt have a stock cam and valve springs. I don't recall what they were anymore. Just an rv cam. I remember we didn't go to heavy with it because he had no intention of racing just a fun street rod. I have enough projects of my own, but one day I'd like to see it done.

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
I've still got the motor pads that bolt to the frame out of that 80 GMC Diesel to be bolted into another square, then I hope to bolt a 70 Olds 455 that I have to freshen up into one of mine using those 80 diesel motor pads.

And a logo I chopped up and made some time ago. I used to use it as my avatar and just might again someday when and if this project dream ever gets closer to reality.

ive searched and searched and wound up here again,, hahaha

i found some steel brackets that bolt to a 425/455 olds motor clam shell type that will sit in the chevy truck safety mounts off of fleabay...

got an hei dist coming for it,,,, Now for my last parts?

what can i use for exhaust manifolds? the 1965 425 i have has the single exhaust rap under the pan type..

i have 2 manafolds ,, L and R off a toranado but im pretty sure they wont work..

so? what do i look for that will fit in a 82 c10 pu?

looks like my 6.2 has a cracked head,, its drinking the anti freeze,, no out side leaks and none in the oil,, so i guess it going out the exhaust when its runing......

time to do a motor swap......... shouldnt take me more than a few days if i can find the right exhaust manifolds that will fit......

or some sort of header? i gotta get my daily driver going asap,, winter is comming quick here.........

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, I kinda hate the way Olds did that on most of their exhausts. Where one manifold has 2 outlets to crossover to the other side then exit as a single out of 1 manifold. :yucky: You're right. Forget the FWD toronado manifolds. I figured I'd end up using 2 right hand manifolds and go out duals, or run headers. The option that was used on my 80 that was converted to 350 Olds Gas, they capped off the crossover on the manifold, and went out with duals.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh, and as far as fitament, not real positive. I'm certain there's got to be manifolds that fit, and I know headers exist since there's been others who have ran headers in these trucks with BBO's. Just not sure what body to get them for, whether it for Cutlass, 88, 98 or what. Obviously these 77 Olds 350 manifolds fit the 80 and should fit an 82 the same. You know SBO manifolds will also fit the BBO I'm pretty certain. Now as far as breathing though, not sure how well that would work.

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
will pontiac 389/400/455 manifolds fit the heads?

ive been told the bolt pattern is the same.....

they kinda look the same except for the top bold hole.....

or is it buick and pontiac is the same?

i cant for the life of me remember.....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Maybe these will help give an idea of how the motor fits and sits in the truck, and how the manifolds will look. Keep in mind, this is a small block. So I'd imagine the BBO will sit a bit higher and a tad wider on each side. Which in a way, looks like it might give even more room. It appears to me the motor mounts will give plenty of clearance even if you found drop in the middle manifolds. which I think I have a pic of too. I'll see if I can find it.

Attachments

• 80GMC 009.jpg
    80GMC 009.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 211
  • OldsMounts 013b.jpg
    OldsMounts 013b.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 196
  • OldsMounts 014b.jpg
    OldsMounts 014b.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 194

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
Oh, and as far as fitament, not real positive. I'm certain there's got to be manifolds that fit, and I know headers exist since there's been others who have ran headers in these trucks with BBO's. Just not sure what body to get them for, whether it for Cutlass, 88, 98 or what. Obviously these 77 Olds 350 manifolds fit the 80 and should fit an 82 the same. You know SBO manifolds will also fit the BBO I'm pretty certain. Now as far as breathing though, not sure how well that would work.

i inherited my GMA's 1965 olds delta go to church on sunday car.. 425 390 hp th400,, top of the line car new off the show room floor,, my uncle was the sales man,, so i have the paper work and he made sure it was top of the line.. i cant find the RPO code any place in the car,, it might be jamed under the seat from what i remember they did back in those days..

its only got 89k on it,, and has been sittin,, i got out and start it every so often and runs like day one,, i put a new timing chain in it a few years back and the inside looks like the motor was just built..

it gets 18-20 mpg @ 70+ mph,, never driven in town,, only long trips to calif and back......... but its got trunk cancer from a bad seal and it aint worth fixin,, and the tank is toast,, ive driven it all over with a 5 gallon can in the back seat demoderby style........

so it got elected to go in to my truck..........

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
if it wernt raining and thunder and lightning out,, id go take some pictures..

back in those days all there was is a motor and room all around and ya can see everything clear nothing in the way.........

i cant tell if there if there the same........

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
i inherited my GMA's 1965 olds delta go to church on sunday car.. 425 390 hp th400,, top of the line car new off the show room floor,, my uncle was the sales man,, so i have the paper work and he made sure it was top of the line.. i cant find the RPO code any place in the car,, it might be jamed under the seat from what i remember they did back in those days..

its only got 89k on it,, and has been sittin,, i got out and start it every so often and runs like day one,, i put a new timing chain in it a few years back and the inside looks like the motor was just built..

it gets 18-20 mpg @ 70+ mph,, never driven in town,, only long trips to calif and back......... but its got trunk cancer from a bad seal and it aint worth fixin,, and the tank is toast,, ive driven it all over with a 5 gallon can in the back seat demoderby style........

so it got elected to go in to my truck..........

Oh man, just keep that car together. It can be fixed.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
will pontiac 389/400/455 manifolds fit the heads?

ive been told the bolt pattern is the same.....

they kinda look the same except for the top bold hole.....

or is it buick and pontiac is the same?

i cant for the life of me remember.....

I had no clue that any breed would interchange like that.

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
I had no clue that any breed would interchange like that.

If ya cut the back half of the car at the rear window and welded a new one on......

from the rear tires forward the body is in great shape.....
the interior is sun rotted to the max,, the sun here is like vegas in the summer,, just breath on the interior and is falls apart.....

i was really considering restoring it,,, but i dont have those kind of funds..

my 78k10 from the ground up cleaned me out.....

but here are some pic's of it in between lightning storms a lil while ago......

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Don't cut loose of much on that car. That air cleaner alone should bring over $100 on fleabay. Just don't clean it to much. Just dust it off but keep that sticker in tact and it should bring some good money. The glass still being in good shape, the front clip still being in good shape are all positive. Non Ac car kinda hurts a bit but not much these days. I'm sure I can get you in touch with some people that should give you a chunk of change for that car. They may not be able to do much with that one if you say it's in that bad of shape, but at least many good parts to restore someone else's project. I'd rock the hell outta that car myself. I'd keep my 4x4 parts for 1 square body, and sell the rest of them to put that car back together.
LIke you, I don't have mega funds though so it would be nothing more than a wet dream. That car should also have the variable pitch Th400.

Are you wanting to put that 425 in your truck cuz it runs, or cuz you like Olds or what's the deal there? One thing about those 65 425's, they are expensive to build. They have a common lifter bore, but use a rare 45 degree cam bank angle instead of 39 degree. Also use the early bolt pattern for the flywheel. If you got lucky enough to get a 39 degree lifter angle, then you got large uncommon .921 lifter bores and the lifters are expensive. IF you want a common build, go with a 68 or later 455 or try to find a very rare late 67 425 that has the good cam angle and good lifter bore, then all you have to do is use the odd early flywheel pattern.
Point I'm making, with the raritees of the 425, it makes them expensive. I'd say you'd be better off to let that one go with the car to a true Olds guru that will keep it orginal and really appreciate it for what it is. Maybe even make you a good running 455 part of the cash/trade you sell for the car. Or does it have sentimental value that you want to keep it? You have several options though. Just saying, if you want to run BBO, I'm sure you can end up with that in a 455 to the right Olds gure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD