Different brake codes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Had to replace a brake hose on the 81 GMC. The truck makes a HARD left turn whenever you hit the brakes, and once you release the brakes it takes a couple seconds before the truck would start to roll. Obviously, the hose has collapsed internally.

Once I got it back together no matter what, I can’t get the hose on the passenger to stop leaking. I have the banjo bolt tight enough that I’m afraid it will snap if I go any tighter. My plan is to replace that caliper, I did kinda gouge the sealing surface picking off the copper washer.

My question: the parts store is asking if I have a JB1 or JB3 braking system. They can’t tell me the difference, this is a Frankenstein truck, and the RPO sticker is long gone.

It’s a 81 GMC 1/2 long bed 2wd, originally 350 Olds diesel powered. The factory Hydraboost system is long gone.

Can anyone in readerland tell me what I have, or tell me what to look for? Thanks.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
Had to replace a brake hose on the 81 GMC. The truck makes a HARD left turn whenever you hit the brakes, and once you release the brakes it takes a couple seconds before the truck would start to roll. Obviously, the hose has collapsed internally.

Once I got it back together no matter what, I can’t get the hose on the passenger to stop leaking. I have the banjo bolt tight enough that I’m afraid it will snap if I go any tighter. My plan is to replace that caliper, I did kinda gouge the sealing surface picking off the copper washer.

My question: the parts store is asking if I have a JB1 or JB3 braking system. They can’t tell me the difference, this is a Frankenstein truck, and the RPO sticker is long gone.

It’s a 81 GMC 1/2 long bed 2wd, originally 350 Olds diesel powered. The factory Hydraboost system is long gone.

Can anyone in readerland tell me what I have, or tell me what to look for? Thanks.
it could be the threads if you replaced the bolt. check out the specs between jb1 and jb3 systems might be a difference in brake diameter which you can measure to find out. I had a wheel cylinder that had the wrong bleeder and the threads would not tighten up. todays junk parts!

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Same bolt, I used the new washers that came with the hose.

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel

Attachments

• cat in winnder 001.JPG
    cat in winnder 001.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 27

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Maybe the attached will help. Sounds like JB3 would be fine. Regarding hoses, I always remove the bolt and hose with the banjo fitting and promptly toss em in the dumpster. Then I replace them with AN adapter fittings and -4 stainless braided lines. Soo much easier to work with and find replacement parts.

Attachments

• JB1 JB3.JPG
    JB1 JB3.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 46

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Maybe the attached will help. Sounds like JB3 would be fine. Regarding hoses, I always remove the bolt and hose with the banjo fitting and promptly toss em in the dumpster. Then I replace them with AN adapter fittings and -4 stainless braided lines. Soo much easier to work with and find replacement parts.

Sounds like a pretty easy question to answer!! Power brakes or manual?

Now why couldn’t the counter help tell me that???

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was gonna say buy both and return one.
Woulda made that call at the parts counter so I could complete the repair as intended when intended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507