No dash or dome lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toddd

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Wrong bulb!!!! I was putting a single prong bulb into a double prong socket. Im an idiot. I guess you learn by your mistakes. Thanks for the help.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Good.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I went through the steps but I still have a problem maybe a short ? when I follow your steps I get power every place you say but my rheostat starts to burn up on my light switch when I turn the ignition switch on so my question do think this is a short and where and what circuits should I check, these wiring diagrams suck in the Haynes book, I can read some diagrams but I'm not great at it, anyhow any help would be appreciated,

If it only happens when the switch is in the parking/head lights position, you need to check the DK GRN lead (power to the IP, HVAC & radio lighting) for a short to ground.

The power to that circuit is initially brought into the H/L switch by the 40 ORN circuit - which is supplied by the 20A T/L CTSY fuse. The voltage out of the H/L switch is controlled by the rheostat. After exiting the H/L switch, it runs over the fuse block on the DK GRN wire. At the fuse block it connects to the line side of the fuse marked 5A INST PNL.

After that point that the IP lighting circuit and rheostat are protected by the 5A fuse.

So, you can see that if that DK GRN lead is grounded - in the run between the H/L switch and the fuse - and power is supplied to the line side of the rheostat...the rheostat coils (and the DK GRN wire) can be supplied with up to 20 amps (the capacity of the T/L CTSY fuse).

I don't know if 20 A is too much for the rheostat to handle, but it is a possibility.

Have you tried a new H/L switch?

Attachments

• ip lights.jpg
    ip lights.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

deanobigred

Reaction score
First Name
dean
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
yes I did replace the head lights switch, after I installed it the rheostat wire started glowing so I looked for a short maybe not close enough but it seems to be no short to ground from dark green wire at least i did replace the switch again incase there was any damage , it does blow the 5 amp fuse for instrument lights most of the time but not always . on the 20A T/L CTSY fuse and the 5 amp I get ground on the left side witch is correct right. still looking for the problem thanks for your help so far, great diagrams where can I get those

deanobigred

Reaction score
First Name
dean
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
ok stripped the wire wrap (tape) off found no shorts I did find a black wire white line broken or in attached and traced it to buzzer not installed and cannot see where it was connected

deanobigred

Reaction score
First Name
dean
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
update, the 5 amp fuse blows when I turn the headlight switch on not after I turn the key so after the power is sent to the inst fuse it blows

deanobigred

Reaction score
First Name
dean
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
ok that problem is fixed, instrument lights on I was getting a short from my 4wheel drive light wire being pinched by the bracket holding it in (previous owner) moving on thanks for the help, now the engine wiring, so many wires not connected with 12 volts going into engine compartment, coolant I assume, I need some good wire schematics to trace these and reconnect these any help is appreciated, thanks

deanobigred

Reaction score
First Name
dean
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
moving on to coolant gauge , what wires coming out the fire wall go to sensor ? on 1985 k1500

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64