New trucks are no longer trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Now I agree it's gimicy as hell but I think there are people who would benefit. I use to work for a grocery store, and there are plenty of elderly men who have trouble moving around now. Something like that would help them retain use of their truck. Now when I worked for the grocery store it was exclusively the elderly who had those electric doors on their cars that slowly open and close themselves. Personally I can't stand those, but clearly they decided it's a feature they want. I see the gimic gate as a natural extension of that.

Just to be clear I think it would be a bad idea on a true work truck. It would wear right the **** out or bind up. But for the elderly who use their truck lightly I think it would be great.

So, they're going to use the tailgate to get in the bed and crawl into the truck through the back window? If they're so elderly to have to have that kind of tailgate they need a lift to get into the drivers' seat in the first place.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
They saved 63 or 68 pounds in the bed because the drivers' ass gained 63 or 68 pounds.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
They saved 63 or 68 pounds in the bed because the drivers' ass gained 63 or 68 pounds.
This is probably the most accurate assessment that we will see.

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
So, they're going to use the tailgate to get in the bed and crawl into the truck through the back window? If they're so elderly to have to have that kind of tailgate they need a lift to get into the drivers' seat in the first place.

Well no, that's what running boards are for. And it doesn't have to be a matter of need but convenience. My grandfather has a bad back, now he still does errands and work around his house. He can get in the back of his truck but it would cause quite a deal of pain that he'd have to deal with for at least a day. Just something that could make life a bit easier for him.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
60+lbs is significant when you're trying to eeke out every last ounce for weight reduction to improve fuel mileage. The mpg numbers imposed by the last regime were pretty fanciful in their reach. Until we get a governing body to set these regulations, that understands physics, and acknowledges that not everyone wants to drive some little egg shaped pos, keep expecting things to get lighter and lighter. The truly fukked up part of these regs, is that The reason the cars keep getting heavier, is to satisfy the crash and safety standards set by the dumb fukks in charge. If you think back to 1990ish, Honda had a CR-X model that would turn in 60 mpg. No hybrid bs required, just a lean burn, internal combustion engine. But, because we didn't have laws stating that we need 150 airbags inside the vehicle, it weighed in at 1600lbs give or take. God forbid, we actually teach these snowflakes to pay the fukk attention, instead of being glued to their phones. It's much easier to just add more safety features instead of making better drivers.

But the car manufacturers and oil companies and well heck, governments everywhere don't want vehicles that get good mpgs. Amazing tech no doubt the new engines... or are they? They only last slightly better than cheap cast iron engines. If they really wanted cars/trucks to get better mileage, they could simply return lead to gas and raise the octane and build compression back into engines.
Oh but wait... lead is bad for the environment...oh! Well good luck finding food that doesn;t have significant levels of glyphosate in it... Fuckyoushima is still dumping radioactive water into the ocean. hell most nuclear power plants have been leaking for years. They inject ****** mercury into out children's bodies. Food packaging leaches BPA into our food. Chemtrails dumping nano aluminum and lithium on us. I could go on and on about the crimes against the planet and it's inhabitants. And we're supposed to believe they removed lead to save the planet... yeah right.

The idea of reducing weight for better fuel economy is one of those feel good feelings related to selling junk from an emotional angle. It's just simply not reality.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I would have been more impressed if they used the carbon fiber for the front end of the truck.

What do people in winter do that have a truck? ADD WEIGHT to the bed. Firewood, sand bags, big heavy chunks of metal...(there goes gas mileage) and if you don't add weight then you are going to have a rough time getting anywhere in 2wd. But that what 4wd is for, right? Then there goes even more "gas mileage".

My '77 K20 has the exact same (brand and size) tires as my '03 2500HD Silverado. Both have rear lockers. Silverado will get stuck almost instantly in 2wd where I can then take my K20 right thru no problem. Difference is the Silverado is 2,000 lbs heavier due to the frame/drivetrain/engine.

My brother-in-law had a 2000 Silverado with the step side. The sides were made of some sort of plastic. Worthless in 2wd in winter. But he could do some great burnouts in the summer with it.

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I would have been more impressed if they used the carbon fiber for the front end of the truck.

What do people in winter do that have a truck? ADD WEIGHT to the bed. Firewood, sand bags, big heavy chunks of metal...(there goes gas mileage) and if you don't add weight then you are going to have a rough time getting anywhere in 2wd. But that what 4wd is for, right? Then there goes even more "gas mileage".

My '77 K20 has the exact same (brand and size) tires as my '03 2500HD Silverado. Both have rear lockers. Silverado will get stuck almost instantly in 2wd where I can then take my K20 right thru no problem. Difference is the Silverado is 2,000 lbs heavier due to the frame/drivetrain/engine.

My brother-in-law had a 2000 Silverado with the step side. The sides were made of some sort of plastic. Worthless in 2wd in winter. But he could do some great burnouts in the summer with it.

I'm a touch confused. Seems like you're saying your k20 does better than the Silverado because it's lighter, but then the stepside does worse because it's lighter. Or maybe I'm just being dense. Regardless I agree with the adding weight for winter, I always carry around about 300 lbs of sand bags in the winter.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Yes- not very clear...

It has a lot to do with the weight balance. My K20 just has a small block and a heavy farmer-made rear bumper. It takes less effort to get 5,400 lbs moving and more weight is on the back end. And it is a regular cab long bed.
The Silverado has the 8.1 big block up front, so most of the weight is on the front tires only. This is a extended cab long bed. Getting 7,200 lbs moving thru snow is hard.

You can tell how the back of the truck is very light (except for the AAM 11.5" axle). I tow a 5th wheel and often have to climb up and kneel on the bed rails to reach things in the bed or on the hitch. By kneeling on the bed rails on the Silverado I have dented them. Weak-ass thin metal. And I'm 230 lbs. True- I could be lighter but I'm no 500 lb sumo wrestler.

I gave up on driving the Silverado in winter. The truck was rust free when I bought it and wanted it to stay that way. But I did drive it for 2 winters. I make "baby seals" for the bed. (semi truck intertubes cut in half then filled up with sand and crimped shut with thick wire). Had almost 600 lbs in the back then it was much better to drive. There was no squat either as it had the 1 ton leaf springs special ordered for the back end.

Reactions: vkh

WesN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Good luck closing once it gets some snow and ice in it. Maybe they should just air bag the truck and lower it. Where is the hand rail like the F_RDS have!!

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Yes- not very clear...

It has a lot to do with the weight balance. My K20 just has a small block and a heavy farmer-made rear bumper. It takes less effort to get 5,400 lbs moving and more weight is on the back end. And it is a regular cab long bed.
The Silverado has the 8.1 big block up front, so most of the weight is on the front tires only. This is a extended cab long bed. Getting 7,200 lbs moving thru snow is hard.

You can tell how the back of the truck is very light (except for the AAM 11.5" axle). I tow a 5th wheel and often have to climb up and kneel on the bed rails to reach things in the bed or on the hitch. By kneeling on the bed rails on the Silverado I have dented them. Weak-ass thin metal. And I'm 230 lbs. True- I could be lighter but I'm no 500 lb sumo wrestler.

I gave up on driving the Silverado in winter. The truck was rust free when I bought it and wanted it to stay that way. But I did drive it for 2 winters. I make "baby seals" for the bed. (semi truck intertubes cut in half then filled up with sand and crimped shut with thick wire). Had almost 600 lbs in the back then it was much better to drive. There was no squat either as it had the 1 ton leaf springs special ordered for the back end.

Ahh, that clears things right up. My truck is an 81 c2500 with a 454. Barely could go anywhere without weight in the bed. I would put on a large fiberglass topper and 300 lbs of sand in the back and still had to chain up every day to make it up our hill. You'd think after all the chaining and getting stuck I'd learn and be a 4wd guy, lol.

Scott Hathaway

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5 1500
Engine Size
Here's what I think we live in a world were your you just throw it away wye rebuild it, I think everything is made this way just put it in the trash get a new one !!!!and when you do that it will never be the same as the old one this is the reason I got my old K5 that and trying to relive my youth.
Evan when you have to buy parts for it I replaced the turn signal switch looked all over not one of them was built as good as the stock one that's just the tip of the iceberg!

Any how that's how I look at it!!!

Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
This gave me testicular cancer

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
But the car manufacturers and oil companies and well heck, governments everywhere don't want vehicles that get good mpgs. Amazing tech no doubt the new engines... or are they? They only last slightly better than cheap cast iron engines. If they really wanted cars/trucks to get better mileage, they could simply return lead to gas and raise the octane and build compression back into engines.
Oh but wait... lead is bad for the environment...oh! Well good luck finding food that doesn;t have significant levels of glyphosate in it... Fuckyoushima is still dumping radioactive water into the ocean. hell most nuclear power plants have been leaking for years. They inject ****** mercury into out children's bodies. Food packaging leaches BPA into our food. Chemtrails dumping nano aluminum and lithium on us. I could go on and on about the crimes against the planet and it's inhabitants. And we're supposed to believe they removed lead to save the planet... yeah right.

The idea of reducing weight for better fuel economy is one of those feel good feelings related to selling junk from an emotional angle. It's just simply not reality.

Please tell me you are kidding on the chemtrails thing... Please.

Southcoast85

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC c10
Engine Size
My first thought was imagine the repair bil from the first rearender:Bye:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads