new exhaust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kc87

Reaction score
First Name
casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I noticed last night that my right exhaust manifold is cracked and was thinking about replacing them with a set of headers. Anyone have any suggestions on who makes a decent set. I still have all the smog crap hooked up and was planning on keeping it unless there's a real benefit to getting rid of it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You're smog pump won't be functional because the headers don't have provisions for the injection tubes. If you don't have smog testing , just remove it and don't worry about it.

I've found that the Hooker, Hedman, and Flowtech headers are all decent and fit pretty good. I seem to get 6-7 years out of an uncoated set on a daily driver. If you want them to last longer, spring for headers with a ceramic coating. I do know that Hedman has two or three versions of headers for these trucks. One of them fits REALLY nice, but the right one is a pain to install and the left one has clearance issues with the 700R4 shifter linkage.

85K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I noticed last night that my right exhaust manifold is cracked and was thinking about replacing them with a set of headers. Anyone have any suggestions on who makes a decent set. I still have all the smog crap hooked up and was planning on keeping it unless there's a real benefit to getting rid of it.

I installed these ceramic coated ones from Hedman. They are really nice. I have 700R4 and haven't had any issues with the linkage. They went in really easy for me. The right side went in from the engine compartment and the left side went in from under the truck.

Attachments

• 136.jpg
    136.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 135.jpg
    135.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

kc87

Reaction score
First Name
casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
You're smog pump won't be functional because the headers don't have provisions for the injection tubes. If you don't have smog testing , just remove it and don't worry about it.

I've found that the Hooker, Hedman, and Flowtech headers are all decent and fit pretty good. I seem to get 6-7 years out of an uncoated set on a daily driver. If you want them to last longer, spring for headers with a ceramic coating. I do know that Hedman has two or three versions of headers for these trucks. One of them fits REALLY nice, but the right one is a pain to install and the left one has clearance issues with the 700R4 shifter linkage.

Yeah I could see where clearance would be an issue. I had just enough room to get the stock manifold out and I had the fender and inner removed.

kc87

Reaction score
First Name
casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I installed these ceramic coated ones from Hedman. They are really nice. I have 700R4 and haven't had any issues with the linkage. They went in really easy for me. The right side went in from the engine compartment and the left side went in from under the truck.

Yeah those do look pretty sharp. Do you know the model or part number for them.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Those look like the first set I had, but I didn't get the coated version. When I bought new ones, I went with the other style to get them up in the frame higher, mostly to help keep them away from road salt in the winter. Somewhere around here I have a thread showing the clearance issue with the linkage.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I run doug thorley's tri y's on all of my square's , they are costly but they are the thickest and best routed header on the market , imo. (bolt them on and forget about them forever).

:patriot::patriot::patriot:

kc87

Reaction score
First Name
casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I run doug thorley's tri y's on all of my square's , they are costly but they are the thickest and best routed header on the market , imo. (bolt them on and forget about them forever).

$1027 ....Yikes, that's $227 more than I paid for the whole truck. Bet they are nice though. Better be for that price.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You can get Tri-Ys cheaper than a thousand bucks. I think Jegs has a set of the ceramics for around $500.

85K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah those do look pretty sharp. Do you know the model or part number for them.

They are Hedman Elite Ultra Duty long tubes Part# 69890 Got from Summit Racing. They do price match and Jegs was actually cheaper. But they beat the price by $5 with shipping.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
$1027 ....Yikes, that's $227 more than I paid for the whole truck. Bet they are nice though. Better be for that price.

Summit has them for around 640.00 to 750.00 depending on your application.
:patriot:

85K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Those are very nice headers. That was going to be my next choice.

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I've got Hooker headers on mine and they fit in easily from the top. You gotta disconnect the shift linkage (mine is TH350) to get drivers side in but no clearance issues when bolted up. The pass side fits in easily but you have to go at an angle to clear the starter.

Im sure its different on a 4wd truck. I dont know which one you have.

kc87

Reaction score
First Name
casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I've got Hooker headers on mine and they fit in easily from the top. You gotta disconnect the shift linkage (mine is TH350) to get drivers side in but no clearance issues when bolted up. The pass side fits in easily but you have to go at an angle to clear the starter.

Im sure its different on a 4wd truck. I dont know which one you have.

I have a 4 wheel drive but I didn't think it mattered as far as headers go unless frame widths are different.

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I have a 4 wheel drive but I didn't think it mattered as far as headers go unless frame widths are different.

No but I think they might have different part numbers. A buddy had a 4wd tahoe and we ended up having to unbolt the mounts and lift the engine up slightly to get em installed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamberttt