New '83 P30 Food Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vic Cardenas

Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Truck Year
Truck Model
P30
Engine Size
Thanks for all the welcomes to those I didn't respond to.

My wife and I were supposed to fly down to Peru and visit, I still want to go. I dont care if they feed me dog, I will try it. Only thing I ever refused to eat was lengua taco's, I dont care if it i the most tender delicious beef ever! I could see the little taste buds! That **** was too much.

One thing I have noticed about Reno is the local government hates everyone, they seem to like watching people suffering. Today I helped an aluminum miner dig through my own trash can to get aluminum cans and they are worried about regulating a taco wagon a couple blocks away that sells delicious taco's.

Yeah, Peru is great. You should still go.

Welcome from Ca!
The LT9 was the heavy duty 350 so emissions equipment was minimal, even here in Ca.
The few i have seen here, only have an air pump, and thermostatic air cleaner and egr. No Cats, true dual exhaust.

Thanks for the info. I noticed it had no cat and that had me worried. Maybe I'll be alright without it. No dual exhaust though. This truck body was remodeled by HIVCO so maybe that's why.

Ahh that sucks he needs the air pump. Not for the reasons most think. Air pump doesn't cost the hp people say it does, its just the hassle of the plumbing going bad, or in the way, or the pump seizing, then someone take its off with the bracketry, then you'll be hard pressed to find it. Honeslty, if UT doesn't count the VISUAL, the tailpipe emmisions can pass without the air pump, with a good tune, carb adjustment, and some ethanol blended gas in the tank at the time of testing.

There's no visual inspection here. Just have to pass the sniffer at 15 and 25 mph. We also have E10 here too. Hmmmm, so I may be good without much work.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
It gets kinda boring considering everyone on the forum has the same truck in different configurations so the Taco wagon is so far one of the most interesting trucks here. I would love to have one of those catering trucks, If it was possible I would make it like an ice cream truck that sells beer and taco's.

I would love to find one and set it up as a bbq joint.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Thanks for all the welcomes to those I didn't respond to.

Yeah, Peru is great. You should still go.

Thanks for the info. I noticed it had no cat and that had me worried. Maybe I'll be alright without it. No dual exhaust though. This truck body was remodeled by HIVCO so maybe that's why.

There's no visual inspection here. Just have to pass the sniffer at 15 and 25 mph. We also have E10 here too. Hmmmm, so I may be good without much work.

If I remember correctly, nothing 3/4 ton and up had cats, until 87.
Since this will be your bidness vehicle, dont skimp on anything, because down time will cost you in the long run. Keep the chassis stock, all GM.
when you get to the engine, do your tune ups with all AC Delco parts, install high quality Synthetic oil, trans fluid, and rear end fluids.
Regardless of how it runs now, i would recommend sending the carburetor to http://www.smicarburetor.com/, and tell Sean exactly what you are working on, and he will be able to set up the carb for max efficiency.
All of this, and being vigillant about tire pressures, should keep operating costs at a minimum.

Vic Cardenas

Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Truck Year
Truck Model
P30
Engine Size
If I remember correctly, nothing 3/4 ton and up had cats, until 87.
Since this will be your bidness vehicle, dont skimp on anything, because down time will cost you in the long run. Keep the chassis stock, all GM.
when you get to the engine, do your tune ups with all AC Delco parts, install high quality Synthetic oil, trans fluid, and rear end fluids.
Regardless of how it runs now, i would recommend sending the carburetor to http://www.smicarburetor.com/, and tell Sean exactly what you are working on, and he will be able to set up the carb for max efficiency.
All of this, and being vigillant about tire pressures, should keep operating costs at a minimum.

Hey, thanks for the advice!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It gets kinda boring considering everyone on the forum has the same truck in different configurations so the Taco wagon is so far one of the most interesting trucks here. I would love to have one of those catering trucks, If it was possible I would make it like an ice cream truck that sells beer and taco's.

I don't get bored looking at all the different configurations. There are several different trucks too. Crew Cabs, Short beds, Blazers 2 and 4wd, Burbs 2 and 4wd. Lowered and Lifted, Old School and New School. How can you get bored looking all the different squares. hmmm, If you're a Ford Lover I guess.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I don't get bored looking at all the different configurations. There are several different trucks too. Crew Cabs, Short beds, Blazers 2 and 4wd, Burbs 2 and 4wd. Lowered and Lifted, Old School and New School. How can you get bored looking all the different squares. hmmm, If you're a Ford Lover I guess.

I do love my Mustang.... :flipthebird:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Vic Cardenas

Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Truck Year
Truck Model
P30
Engine Size
Thanks! If anybody's wondering.... Still at the kitchen, installing the fryer controls today. Haven't fired up the fryer yet. But soon!

Vic Cardenas

Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Truck Year
Truck Model
P30
Engine Size
I finally started tearing into the engine today for the first time. I have a problem with the choke, it's difficult to start the truck and keep it running. Figured it's the carb choke thermostat. It was not wired in and was kind of falling apart. I can't believe it's $60 for this part at O'riellys. I can't even find it at Autozone and a few other parts places. I ordered it off rockauto for $45.

You must be registered for see images attach

A few days ago I almost got killed from an exploding hot water holding tank!

I plugged in the hose from my house to test my plumbing. I connected it directly to the line that leads out of my water holding tank to bypass the water pump. I did this to check for leaks in all my new plumbing. Apparently my plumbing wasn't a weak link, it was the aluminum heater tank. 150psi I guess was too much. I had my face just inches from this inspecting the lines about 10 seconds before this happened. When it exploded it made a loud BOOM that sounded like an M-80 had gone off and echoed around the neighborhood. I ran over and there was mist in the air and a cold hazy steam coming out of the tank.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Damn !!! Careful dawg. No Taco, Torta of Frijole is worth being scared over.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Thats scary as hell dude. Are you going to rebuild your Q-jet while its off?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Just get another carb from SMI, and send them yours as a core, and be done with it.
Did anyone else notice the centerbolt heads?

Vic Cardenas

Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Truck Year
Truck Model
P30
Engine Size
Damn !!! Careful dawg. No Taco, Torta of Frijole is worth being scared over.

LOL

Thats scary as hell dude. Are you going to rebuild your Q-jet while its off?

No, I was just going to replace the choke thermo and be done with it. I'm running out of money and need to still fix the refrigerator ($3-4K) and do some more gas work. I have a few other emissions things to hook up and hopefully after that point I can afford to buy more parts for the engine. But only after I get it to pass emissions and get it registered.

Just get another carb from SMI, and send them yours as a core, and be done with it.
Did anyone else notice the centerbolt heads?

I was thinking about that. But at this point it's cost prohibitive. Next time.
Is a center bolt head unique? What's the deal with that? Sorry, I still don't know a whole lot about these trucks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels