New '83 P30 Food Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vic Cardenas

Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Truck Year
Truck Model
P30
Engine Size
Hi, I recently bought a food truck to get into business with. I'm in Salt Lake City. I'm a total NOOB to GM products, so bear with me here.
The P30 has an LT9 350 and an auto. I'll probably have to start some work on the engine side soon, after I'm done with the kitchen. I haven't even registered it yet....And we have emissions here in SLC so I'm a little nervous as it looks like it's missing a lot of the emissions equipment. The engine is pretty solid though.

Like I said... bear with me. I may be asking a lot of ******* questions in the future to get this old girl on the road.

Here's some pics from the day I bought it...

You must be registered for see images attach

And no, I'm not the "Taco Man", that was the previous owner. And yes, it is cleaner now. And no, I won't be selling tacos.

Any advice on where to start with these trucks? I'm mechanically inclined, just don't know about GM's. I've pulled engines, trannies, heads, rebuilt heads, P&P work, etc.... So, I'm not clueless. I can learn these old trucks in-and-out I'm sure.

Pretty much any part from other 350's swap onto other 350's I'm lead to believe. Is that true?

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Welcome! That is one bad ass roach coach! :High 5:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Muy Bien Ese !!! Mucho Bueno !!! :pimp:

Only had to kid since you brought it up. It does appear to be in great shape. 83 is the era of Squarebodies, so anything we can do to help, just let us know. Being a 1 ton, and I think just early enough to not to have computer carb, or CCC computer, you might be suprised that it doesn't require much emssions. Maybe just an EGR valve and gas EVAP might be about it. Good Luck, let us know what you need help with. Welcome Aboard.

Vic Cardenas

Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Truck Year
Truck Model
P30
Engine Size
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I'll keep you guys posted once I get into the motor and front-end side of the build.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
It gets kinda boring considering everyone on the forum has the same truck in different configurations so the Taco wagon is so far one of the most interesting trucks here. I would love to have one of those catering trucks, If it was possible I would make it like an ice cream truck that sells beer and taco's.

heavyleft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10/K5
Engine Size
350ci
Welcome to the forum....this is going to be interesting! LOL

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
welcome aboard. This will defintely be an interesting project. Keep us up to speed and post PLENTY of pics!!

Vic Cardenas

Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Truck Year
Truck Model
P30
Engine Size
It gets kinda boring considering everyone on the forum has the same truck in different configurations so the Taco wagon is so far one of the most interesting trucks here. I would love to have one of those catering trucks, If it was possible I would make it like an ice cream truck that sells beer and taco's.

I'd love to sell beer, I think that would be a huge selling point! But unfortunately the laws don't see eye to eye with me.

I will be serving Peruvian cuisine off the truck. The name of the business is "Como Lomo" Peruvian Food Truck. If you're unfamiliar with modern Peruvian cuisine, it is best described by it's cultural influences. Chinese, Japanese, West African, Spanish and Italian cuisines are huge influences on Peruvian cuisine.
If you've never tried Peruvian, you'd better. It is one of the up-and-comers in Haute Cuisine and fine dining. We're starting to scare the **** out of the French! :Jedi: And trust me, I've cooked in a french restaurant before. They have much to fear from Peru!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Welcome aboard, great to see a different type of square here. Hope we can help.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I'd love to sell beer, I think that would be a huge selling point! But unfortunately the laws don't see eye to eye with me.

I will be serving Peruvian cuisine off the truck. The name of the business is "Como Lomo" Peruvian Food Truck. If you're unfamiliar with modern Peruvian cuisine, it is best described by it's cultural influences. Chinese, Japanese, West African, Spanish and Italian cuisines are huge influences on Peruvian cuisine.
If you've never tried Peruvian, you'd better. It is one of the up-and-comers in Haute Cuisine and fine dining. We're starting to scare the **** out of the French! :Jedi: And trust me, I've cooked in a french restaurant before. They have much to fear from Peru!

My In laws have spent the last couple years living in Peru and failed to mention the food was good! I picked up my father in law at the airport and first thing he said is he wanted a hamburger. I will check and see if there is any Peruvian cuisine here, I am interested now. I tried Bavarian the other night and am sold, if it tops that it must taste like heaven.

If any city would allow beer sales off of a food truck you think it would be Reno, since you can buy booze 24/7 and legally go hump a hooker. Liquor licences here seem to come in cracker jacks boxes so you think they would give them to these local food trucks here. Instead, local government is trying to regulate food truck industry here to death. I was reading an article about them only being able to operate during certain hours that did not include high business hours to keep high school kids from being late back from their lunch break. Another reason their trying to regulate food trucks is they dont want them taking business from sit down restraunts.

Vic Cardenas

Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Truck Year
Truck Model
P30
Engine Size
My In laws have spent the last couple years living in Peru and failed to mention the food was good! I picked up my father in law at the airport and first thing he said is he wanted a hamburger. I will check and see if there is any Peruvian cuisine here, I am interested now. I tried Bavarian the other night and am sold, if it tops that it must taste like heaven.

LOL, that is funny about the hamburger. It's true, you can't get a decent hamburger anywhere in S. America. Now you've brought back horrific memories of the time I was in Rio de Janiero and found out that I was really eating "Ave" meat. lol. I really do crave a good hamburger too after spending extensive time down south :patriot:

I'm actually surprised your in-laws didn't say anything about the food. Ask them if they ate Pollo a la Brasa, Lomo Saltado, Aji de Gallina, Ceviche, Carapulcra, Seco, some of my favorites.

I found one peruvian restaurant in reno that has good reviews... El Tumi...
http://www.yelp.com/biz/el-tumi-reno

If any city would allow beer sales off of a food truck you think it would be Reno, since you can buy booze 24/7 and legally go hump a hooker. Liquor licences here seem to come in cracker jacks boxes so you think they would give them to these local food trucks here. Instead, local government is trying to regulate food truck industry here to death. I was reading an article about them only being able to operate during certain hours that did not include high business hours to keep high school kids from being late back from their lunch break. Another reason their trying to regulate food trucks is they dont want them taking business from sit down restraunts.

Yeah, NV is getting a little **** on the food trucks I've heard. Good thing it's just the opposite here. I'm really ahead of the curve. In SLC, they're trying to reform the draconian food truck ordinances to better accommodate more trucks in the city. There really is a demand for more of this type of business here from the citizens and not much flac from the brick-and-mortars yet. Even the government, for the most part, is trying to make it better for us.

buRRp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Welcome to GMSB

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
LOL, that is funny about the hamburger. It's true, you can't get a decent hamburger anywhere in S. America. Now you've brought back horrific memories of the time I was in Rio de Janiero and found out that I was really eating "Ave" meat. lol. I really do crave a good hamburger too after spending extensive time down south :patriot:

I'm actually surprised your in-laws didn't say anything about the food. Ask them if they ate Pollo a la Brasa, Lomo Saltado, Aji de Gallina, Ceviche, Carapulcra, Seco, some of my favorites.

I found one peruvian restaurant in reno that has good reviews... El Tumi...
http://www.yelp.com/biz/el-tumi-reno

Yeah, NV is getting a little **** on the food trucks I've heard. Good thing it's just the opposite here. I'm really ahead of the curve. In SLC, they're trying to reform the draconian food truck ordinances to better accommodate more trucks in the city. There really is a demand for more of this type of business here from the citizens and not much flac from the brick-and-mortars yet. Even the government, for the most part, is trying to make it better for us.

My wife and I were supposed to fly down to Peru and visit, I still want to go. I dont care if they feed me dog, I will try it. Only thing I ever refused to eat was lengua taco's, I dont care if it i the most tender delicious beef ever! I could see the little taste buds! That **** was too much.

One thing I have noticed about Reno is the local government hates everyone, they seem to like watching people suffering. Today I helped an aluminum miner dig through my own trash can to get aluminum cans and they are worried about regulating a taco wagon a couple blocks away that sells delicious taco's.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Welcome from Ca!
The LT9 was the heavy duty 350 so emissions equipment was minimal, even here in Ca.
The few i have seen here, only have an air pump, and thermostatic air cleaner and egr. No Cats, true dual exhaust.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ahh that sucks he needs the air pump. Not for the reasons most think. Air pump doesn't cost the hp people say it does, its just the hassle of the plumbing going bad, or in the way, or the pump seizing, then someone take its off with the bracketry, then you'll be hard pressed to find it. Honeslty, if UT doesn't count the VISUAL, the tailpipe emmisions can pass without the air pump, with a good tune, carb adjustment, and some ethanol blended gas in the tank at the time of testing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD