Need better fuel mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I put 100k on our 2013 Passat SE TDI in 3 years and track my expenses religiously. The high fuel economy made it the best for long haul road trips. The high cost of diesel and the insane maintenance nullified the fuel savings. Then the diesel-gate thing happened and it went back to VW. Totally a business decision, the cash was too good.

Looking at a Hyundai Ioniq blue (59/58 mpg) now but I am a fatty so little cars aren't fun. :)

BTW, if you read any of my other stuff, I have a 2500HD classic 8.1L. I put new tires on and lost mpg but the muffler puked and a used flowmaster was welded in, and I gained a mpg!
9.9mpg in town is good but 11.3 is better......

15% increase in mileage is hard to do unless you start at single digits!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Poor thing needs some love! We have a rule about kids and college; they MUST be 500 miles away or at least 5 hours. The youngest is only 2 hours and it is way to easy for her to pop in when she is bored at school. :p
That’s not even away at school lol that at school no fun there lol

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
22mpg mixed driving in a ls1 swapped third gen is good enough for me. E320 wagon is same except with 4 doors. The cost savings of having a separate 35mpg car was not enough to compensate for insurance and registration costs on that vehicle.
I'd rock one of the older more mechanical TDIs or the new scandal ridden one. The newer one gives over 500 miles per tank which is huge for since I drive 120 miles daily. Cant afford a newer one and cant justify a non cool car.

If I wanted better MPG I would try and find an old rwd car and swap in a 99+ F body 3800 drivetrain. Nova, Skylark, Cutlass etc. Even an old Datsun would be a pretty sweet daily with a GM V6. If price were no hindrance I'd look at a new GM turbo 2.0 for the swap. I hate driving boring cars. While I would probably waste a bunch of time and money doing that swap any GM 3.8 powered sedan in stock form would keep my wallet happier.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
22mpg mixed driving in a ls1 swapped third gen is good enough for me. E320 wagon is same except with 4 doors. The cost savings of having a separate 35mpg car was not enough to compensate for insurance and registration costs on that vehicle.

Yea thats pretty sweet. My 99 Trans Am LS1/4L60E combo gets me 22-23 mpg but the cost of premium and time spent at the pump (twice or 3 times a work week) made me look elsewhere. I daily my 2012 Cummins and get between 16-17 but at a cheaper cost per gallon and only fill up once a week. I also get to use the big rig pumps which fill my tank much faster than the standard.

I've spent a lot of time calculating cost benefits of getting a econo car and like yourself I cant justify it. Unless its over 40 mpg or 500 miles per tank. I can justify buying another project and making it a "green" build but thats a horse of a different color and the wife calls that horse NAY! lol

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Increase compression and increase mpg...
IF.. you don't use the extra power you just created you should see larger mpg numbers.

In the 80's I was driving a '78 Heavy Half 2x, 350 4 barrel auto. The Heavy Half was a half ton with higher weight capacity and therefor NO emission foof.
I remember well because I was always checking, and it got 17 mpg average. In '81 I rebuilt the 350. Installed high compression flat tops, shaved the heads and decked the block, RV cam and headers. Mild porting. Stock Q jet with big high flow air cleaner. Once it was broke in and rings sealed up I consistently got 20 mpg. I got better mpg at 75 mph than at 55, and this was in Saskatchewan so all flat land. All highway driving.
City was a different story because at 21 yrs young every stop light was a race.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Did anyone throw out doing an LS swap yet??? I don't want to be the first a-hole but if so oh well, lol.....

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Lol funny thing is I wear Burkenstocks there comfy lol and everyone makes fun of me for it but I don’t care lol and I will drive my truck with them on to as I’m running down saplings and shooting dead dinosaurs out my bed sides while knawing on a rare steak:D nothing funnier then getting throat punched by a guy in a pair of granola eaters lol

I didn't realize you were a lesbian! I am assuming you don't shave your legs or armpits and you really dig gardening??

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I didn't realize you were a lesbian! I am assuming you don't shave your legs or armpits and you really dig gardening??
No I don’t shave and I don’t garden but I do exibit lesbian characteristics lol

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
No I don’t shave and I don’t garden but I do exibit lesbian characteristics lol

And for the record, I didn't know they made Berkenstocks for men. I have never seen a guy with them. Doc Martin's are a different story however.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
HA!! That fizzled fast! Excellent!
It takes a lot to rattle my cage lol blatant disrespect aimed at me or others in a position of respect will do it my foot wear not so much lol I’ve been wearing them for almost 30 years lol

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
And for the record, I didn't know they made Berkenstocks for men. I have never seen a guy with them. Doc Martin's are a different story however.
Yes the do lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76